What things negatively remind you of your past?

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 12:28 pm

When people go on and on about their friends. I was prevented from having friends in high school so have few now and it just reminds me of how lonely high school was when people talk about their friends. It's worse if the person is college-aged or younger or talking about a high school friend at any age. It's okay if people say "My friend loves that too!" or briefly mentions it, but when they keep talking about how great their friends are and how much they go out with their friends, I don't like it. I don't think they are trying to upset me when they they do this, but it does.

I also have a lot of issues around the few friends I do have. I feel as they don't like me at times. Sometimes, I feel like my parents are the only ones who like me. :cry:

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

skyflower40
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Aug 2016, 1:01 pm

Not to be a downer but honestly...my entire childhood was negative so that would be everything. :(

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 7:31 pm

I had a mean, female, kindergarten teacher (gossipy, pastor's wife) at a private, church school.

I was sent back there, for my grammar school years, and was generally treated as low class, in spite of being well-behaved and having high scores.

I observe the Golden Rule but have honestly had a problem with authority.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 6:21 am

SpaceAgeBushRanger wrote:
Schools, Catholicism, anything to do with my manic episode.

Hah, yeh..and anything to do with cross country P.E and the sorts of emotional and mental abuse that scar you.

CockneyRebel wrote:
Anything fashion trends that remind me of the late 80s and very early 90s.

Early nineties I remember as a small child, thinking what the hell is that person wearing, and probably all the strange haircuts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2016, 7:23 am

When somebody tries to get slick with me, it painfully reminds me of the Past---when people did get slick with me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:28 pm

Back to school commercials. I hated going back to school. My regular peers hated me.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 1:57 pm

Hospitals, psychiatrists, surgeons, pills, homes for the mentally ill, ads for weight-loss, dogs because they remind me of all the pet dogs I've owned that were killed by drivers, one killed one of my pet guinea pigs, and another turned on my mother for no obvious reason, ads for flu shots and medications around Christmas because they remind me of the times I was sick on Christmas Day, and was usually fine up until then so someone upstairs must really hate me, and for years I would be very anxious when the holidays were coming. Back then my mom thought flu shots were useless and that there was nothing I could really do to prevent getting sick, even washing my hands and avoiding crowds and once when I asked if I could get the vaccine (I was still living with my parents at the time), she acted as if I asked her I could go get a new kidney.

Also the summer sun because it reminds me of the last time I got badly sunburned at the beach quite a few years ago even though it was cool and cloudy, which was when I was still young and stupid so I didn't wear sunscreen. My mom and I were going to see The Lion King in theaters but I cancelled it because my sunburn was too painful. I ended up waiting until it came out on video. It was worth the wait, at least.

And if someone in my family is sick and throwing up from a stomach virus, it painfully reminds me of my emetophobia, and anything about it mentioned on the news is also upsetting. One time I didn't go to my parent's house for my birthday like I usually because my dad had the flu and was... yeah. I think the real reason my phobia isn't as bad as it used to be is because I live alone. But the people I the other apartments...
I actually keep a bunch of masks in my suitcase just to be safe when I go visit them or anywhere else. Never used them, though. I know they'd think I'd lost my mind if I did. :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:47 pm

am reminded by my present solitude that I had no peers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:50 pm

My mom telling me that in order for me to be social, I still have to introduce whoever I want to be social with to her.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2016, 8:53 pm

aja675 wrote:
I find that stereotypically low-class things remind me negatively of my past because they remind me of the people who made fun of me. (Strangely enough, they weren't poor, they were rich although they acted really ratchet.)

As a result, you can't just give me simple food or take me to a fast food restaurant.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 9:15 pm

Whenever I hear any news stories about kids on the spectrum being bullied, or any article about Aspies being bullied in general, it triggers me.

No one deserves to go through that kind of pain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm

I occasionally fantasize about sending bullies to a planet orbiting Betelgeuse. :alien: this isn't what I really wanted to say but to keep it PG-rated I censored myself.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2016, 10:41 pm

aja675 wrote:
I find that stereotypically low-class things remind me negatively of my past because they remind me of the people who made fun of me. (Strangely enough, they weren't poor, they were rich although they acted really ratchet.)

It's one of my weirdest neuroses, I guess.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Sep 2016, 1:36 am

Resume is a good one....because I have such an odd one with lots of gaps....it remind me of the strange stupid things i did in school and that the strangeness continues on into adulthood :ninja:

If I could start life over knowing everything I know now I definitely would...but that's not how it works.

Even if I could though...I'm sure I would make quite a few embarrassing moments for myself due to meltdowns and over stimulation. :oops:

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."-George Washington

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 2:25 pm

Outdated dogmas, and resumes also. Also, filing a statement of likes, dislikes, anything that fits, stuff of a personally unfulfilling inapt stage of dormant unrest.. dodgy centres with advisors who wear a smug e fit smile to their deckchairs and lecture you on what jobs you should do, whilst fulfilling an age gap that no non- uniform body figurine has the guts to wear. Going on a residential trip and abseiling down a long drop and bunking with total addicts.
Snogging someone who has enough adult social defects to remind him of his self induced past and probably not owning up to the joy that some depravations bring.
Doing a crap barbering course at college ten years ago, and knowing that whatever courses I do now is going to have a unisex salon. Grappling with social consciences that only adult sciences have access to.
Swigging back that last bottle of red wine and rose, till that sun goes down on 'the moment' one last time.

morugin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2016, 3:32 pm

situations where the sole purpose is to socialize.
e.g., office parties.