embracing the mistakes in Oct. 14 movie "The Accountant"

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 6:49 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
He was trying to maintain his routine, but he was in no emotional state to be pushing his limits. That's why he lost it and started hitting himself.

*big ol' spoilers*

I'd say it was a type of meltdown, right?

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 8:56 pm

I just saw it and thought that it was pretty good. I liked the message at the end of the movie too.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 3:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I wonder why "The Big Short" a movie released earlier this year about real life aspie hedge fund manager Michael Burry involved in the 2008 financial crisis did not produce anything like this much angst?
Fact, I am pretty sure most people didn't initially know Michael Burry had Asperger's because on wikipedia I had to be the one who put the Big Short onto the list of films portraying Autism in the media.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 7:58 am

Quote:
I'd say it was a type of meltdown, right?

Sort of, I guess. I get frustrated in the same way he did, though, and I don't consider myself a person who has meltdowns. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but from other descriptions I've read meltdowns usually last longer and are more disabling. Perhaps I need to rethink what a meltdown looks like, though.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 4:22 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
Sort of, I guess. I get frustrated in the same way he did, though, and I don't consider myself a person who has meltdowns. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but from other descriptions I've read meltdowns usually last longer and are more disabling. Perhaps I need to rethink what a meltdown looks like, though.

*spoilers*

May have lasted a long time. He was told he was no longer needed and the job was over in the morning. He tried his usual (?) stimming with strobe light, loud music, and pressure rub to body. Again, I sometimes like to sit in loud bars with big screen TVs -- but for durations of my own choosing.

And/or

continuing a "treatment" taught by his father to build up his endurance, when he was in no frame of mind to push his envelop.

And I think both possibilities have a lot of plausibility.

And then he starts hitting himself.

and then maybe hours later . . .

We just don't know. He is laying in the back of his truck kind of zenning and quietly meditating, coming back to himself, and getting ready to do his long range shooting. This at the ranching couple's house.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2016, 4:26 pm

I used to think I didn't have meltdowns either.

I will sometimes rapidly rub my hair and the back of my head, as I remember some workplace injustice, some shabby treatment. Sometimes I let myself go and engage in a revenge fantasy.

I guess that's something I'll do from time to time. Just I'm all in favor of the highroad. Just, the world doesn't always seem to reward the highroad.

Sai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Nov 2016, 5:07 pm

I liked the movie, though couldn't watch the parts with the strobe light so can't comment until it comes out on DVD!