Are you into going for a walk every day?

Page 2 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 12:09 pm

For me it's a compulsion. I absolutely have to get out and go for a walk. Even if it's just around the block.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 12:46 pm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with walking...as long as you don't have ulterior motives in doing so :mrgreen:

It's probably one of the best forms of exercise that exists today.

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:07 pm

find it most necessary to get out under the sky regardless of weather at least once to three times a day for a walk. it's hard to explain, it just doesn't feel natural to stay indoors all day... it feels gloomy, stuffy, stifling, and leads to an intense physical restlessness. getting into a vehicle to go somewhere doesn't feel like getting out at all either, it just feels like leaving a big building for a really cramped tiny one on wheels, and doesn't reduce that feeling of restlessness.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 1:31 pm

I usually take my neighbor Mary out for a walk :mrgreen:, but it's for exercise purposes and for talking about the neighbors and the Board.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2017, 4:47 pm

I used to walk several times a week, but now our local nature trail looks more like a mine site, so I ride my bike instead. Indoors with a movie in winter, and "into the wind and back" when it does not hurt my face.

RinpocheMacGuffin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2017, 6:01 pm

I live in Scotland on the islands. I have a border collie. I wouldn't go out if it wasn't for him, but when we do woooohooo! He becomes my focus, gets me through crowds, into the wild, sits by me when I am scared & we just do things. Without him, I would see no sun & sit in my cupboard. But night time is best when NTs are asleep. In the woods, on the high hill, snow or summer, he never leaves my side

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2017, 7:23 pm

I keep threatening to, but it's not often I follow through. I'm not about to give into threats!

The dog is here and I can take him for a walk, but by the time I've done some work in the yard or garage I find myself too exhausted, and some days I just feel like leaving the house.

I know it is something I should do.

PaperMajora
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 May 2017, 9:28 pm

Not every single day but most days I go for a run or walk. I'm pretty good at zoning out, so I can run pretty long distances without noticing. Though through pushing myself I've managed to make my default running speed faster than most. At one point I was testing my speed by running next to cars on roads with low speed limits. Also running is great for my anger; when I'm pissed going for a long walk or run usually helps.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2017, 5:35 am

I could never run. Those days are far behind me. But I really like walking. I walk from the train station to college twice a week. I also belong to a walking group. I am the youngest there by far but the people are so nice and don't expect too much from me!

At the end of this month I'm doing a 12km walk for charity. I like to do long walks. I'm only dreading how my feet will hurt by the end.

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 May 2017, 4:59 pm

i personally need to leave the house at least once a day or i'll get cabin fever. even going for a walk is better then sitting at home and wishing i was out of the house.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

26 May 2017, 5:43 pm

I like going for walks but I don't do it everyday. It seems like a good way to relieve stress and anxiety from what people are saying. Maybe I should go for daily walks myself! :D

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2017, 6:59 pm

Yes, I like a daily walk. In fact, a daily walk keeps my anxiety and stress in control.

If anybody visits Portland between now and September, a series of monthly events will be held in different areas of Portland where several miles of road are closed to cars. These events are open to pedestrians and cyclists who want an area where they can safely walk or bike without worrying about cars.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 3:03 am

Quote:
I do walk out as little as possible, because I get mildly agoraphobic or socially anxious. Sometimes I feel that going out for a walk is exposing myself to the world, and because I live in such an overpopulated area, there's always people everywhere, even in quieter places.
I feel less socially anxious going out walking between 9am and about 2.30pm, but mostly late morning is best, AND on days when kids are in school too.

Ditto. I get self conscious out walking, because I get paranoid that I move weirdly and people are looking at me, if I meet someone coming the opposite direction I don't know whether to acknowledge them or if that's weird and I can't look at them anyway and don't want them to talk to me, and I get uncomfortable physically - I get hot easily and my skin stings, etc.
But I really must start doing it. It's the best low-impact exercise you can do supposedly, besides swimming (which isn't possible unless you're ok with your body image). I recently got a license photo done and though I have been more active generally, I look like I've put on weight in the photo. It looks like my face is expanding, but my features are disappearing into a black hole in the middle. Good look. :roll:
S yeah, must start doing this for exercise ad fat-face issues. How does one enjoy it ???

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 4:01 am

I have a habit of walking for at least an hour on a daily basis. It works wonders for the mind - keeps it pure, so to say.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 5:38 am

C2V wrote:
But I really must start doing it. It's the best low-impact exercise you can do supposedly, besides swimming (which isn't possible unless you're ok with your body image). I recently got a license photo done and though I have been more active generally, I look like I've put on weight in the photo. It looks like my face is expanding, but my features are disappearing into a black hole in the middle. Good look. :roll:
S yeah, must start doing this for exercise ad fat-face issues. How does one enjoy it ???

Riding a bike is even better for low impact, and you can do it at running-level efforts. It might even help with personal issues - you have to be watching the road and traffic, and are soon gone.
As to how to enjoy exercise, sometimes the scenery and changing weather and seasons are enough. It can be combined with a hobby, like birding or photography, or treated like a sport. Personally, I was never fit until I started racing cars with my bicycle, which distracted me from how hard I was working. Some people exercise to music, with the beat supplying the incentive to keep up. More recently, I've just been recording improvements in speed and range, and enjoying the break from all the media. Walking or riding both provide a nice rhythm as a background for contemplations. When walking, I like to breath deeply in time with my legs - usually four steps in, four out.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2017, 10:44 am

I need to start going for more walks. I'm overweight and it really does help my mood.