Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Jul 2017, 2:48 pm

I used to do this thing as a kid where I would lay on the floor in front of the big record cabinet. It had a red light at the bottom around eye level; it was some kind of power led. I would zone out into the light while holding my breath as long as I could. I spent long periods doing this. Normal kid stuff? Aspie thing? Other thing? Anyone relate?

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 2:56 pm

It seems like it could be a type of stimming. I hold my breath repeatedly sometimes, but never while staring at a light- maybe that could be a visual thing?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 3:30 pm

Wow... I'd forgotten all about that one. When I was a kid I shared a bedroom with my brother. When I lay on top of his bed... the wrong way round with my head at the foot of the bed... my head would be directly beneath the light. I used to lie there for ages staring into the light bulb. I was about 10 and got my own room after that so I couldn't do it anymore, so I just forgot about it. That was 50 years ago... freaky.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 3:45 pm

Yeah I also used to stare at light bulbs as a kid so when you looked away you could still see the filament but this sounds like for a different reason :roll:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 6:19 am

I read a Reader's Digest condensation of a book called "For the Love of Ann," about a severely autistic girl from England. One of the things she did as a baby was stare at an overhead light. That story was the first time I had ever heard of autism and got me interested in researching the subject.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 11:13 am

IstominFan wrote:
I read a Reader's Digest condensation of a book called "For the Love of Ann," about a severely autistic girl from England. One of the things she did as a baby was stare at an overhead light. That story was the first time I had ever heard of autism and got me interested in researching the subject.

Wow, is that how you found out you had an ASD? :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine