Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2017, 1:10 pm

Is this just me?

I find NT's are scary when they have been drinking.

BBC: Radio 4

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:46 pm

^^

That would depend on how much alcohol an NT consumed.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

for me, very little

BBC: Radio 4

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:58 pm

It doesn't matter.....autistic, NT.

Alcohol can affect people in bad ways.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2017, 8:38 pm

I don't drink, but I've been at parties and dinner in the midst of NTs who were drinking. At first, they can be funny, as if their sense of humor becomes more understandable to me. Normally, around sober people, I have to pretend to be amused as my own humor tends toward the absurd. But when they're drinking NTs also seem to get more easily irritated and offended by "incorrect" social responses and can get snippy or mean. I've watched them "pull each other's legs" and make mock insults, which I can't safely do as an autistic person - I can't flow with it and would be taken as rude. So I tend to get quiet and smile politely when people are drinking and joking around and even that can start to irritate them - maybe it seems like I'm judging them or thinking I'm superior or that I don't like the group, but really I feel like an alien and I fear saying something socially inept. I've had people who were drinking suggest I should drink, because I guess my discomfort shows, and I can't tolerate alcohol so that turns into another uncomfortable issue. I was a manager at my last job and the management group had periodic get-togethers to express gratitude for jobs well done, but they were always at places where alcohol was the main attraction, so I avoided those.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

Voxish wrote:
Is this just me?

I find NT's are scary when they have been drinking.

It depends if I have been drinking as well ( which I don't do anymore ) but I have been accused of being an angry drunk so I gave it up , so many misunderstandings when I'm drunk , the amount of trouble I've caused because I've apparently looked at someone the wrong way or said something too honest , it was a case of instant as*hole just add alcohol. Some people are funny when they're drunk but it's get boring real quick when your sober and can get quite annoying when your the only sober person in the room. When I'm sober among drunks I also feel like I have to be a peacemaker which also get me into trouble but maybe that's the kind of people I used to hang around when I was younger.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:01 pm

Nope, not just you. Enough alcohol to have any effect on them at all makes them even more unpredictable to me, and I really don't know how I should interact with someone who is at all drunk. Granted, I avoid things like bars and parties, so I don't have a whole lot of experience being around people who have been drinking. Neither of my parents are heavy drinkers, but on the occasions my dad has had enough alcohol to get a little drunk, he's more inclined to say things to me without realizing how hurtful they are, or completely blow up at me for something that wasn't my fault. I have enough trouble interacting with people ordinarily - alcohol doesn't make the situation any better. I don't have any experience being around non-neurotypicals that are drunk, but I'm guessing it would be the same with them. As for me, I hate the taste of alcohol, and even if I didn't, I'm scary enough completely sober, I dread to think what I'd be like if I wasn't :)

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"