Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Sep 2017, 10:23 pm

I just spend the last 3 hours sitting cross legged, rocking, on the tailgate of my truck, headphones on, with a song I like set to repeat, drowning out the world, playing a game on my phone. The game has this "skill tree" you build out that basically involves clicking on same two spots on the screen over and over (that's not the whole game, just one part). I sat there through the sunset an continued in the dark. The time passed in a heartbeat and I feel so relaxed. I feel ... myself.

I'm aware of how it probably looked to anyone watching (what's wrong with that guy) but I was in a mood and I just didn't care ... I was content. I can't remember the last time I did anything to hurt anyone. I'm always gentle and giving with everyone. I had a neighborhood friend who has a big family and is always super busy and I know she struggles to make ends meet. I thought making dinner and putting some time back in her day, giving her an occasional break, was a meaningful gesture of friendship. It wasn't anything fancy. She told me they couldn't accept my gifts (food is a gift?) because they couldn't reciprocate. But I didn't do it with the expectation of any kind of return favor. Isn't that what neighbors do? I was just trying to be nice. I'm a big believer in "actions speak louder than words". But we aren't friends anymore (if we ever were, I'm not sure now). I wasn't quite like other people and she didn't trust me. I think people often see my giving nature and honesty as some kind of calculation instead of taking it at face value. Many of my adult neighbors don't like me. Would they like me better if I lied more and was less nice? I don't get people.

I'm left wondering why I ever bother to try and suppress my autistic traits. It doesn't seem to help and I feel a lot better when I embrace them. Hiding that much of myself is tiring. I feel like I'm approaching autistic burnout and I'm considering saying "eff it" and just being myself all the time. Then I might be the "really weird guy that's harmless" instead of the "there's something different, I don't trust him" guy. What do you guys think? How much effort do you make to appear normal? Do you hide your autism or embrace it?

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 10:37 pm

I don't think I try all that hard to suppress it, and in general, I do think people tend to like my me and my quirks. That said, I do kind of feel like they like me the way one likes a child, not as a peer.

Although people do seem to generally like me, it never does seem to actually go so far as developing into friendship, although that may be as much be me pushing them away as them not wanting to get close to me.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm

soloha wrote:
I just spend the last 3 hours sitting cross legged, ...
I hope you have a lot of years left before turning 50-something, because after that age you will pay for doing that kind of thing! :lol:

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 2:25 am

Autism is the least of my crazy.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:17 am

This topic reminds me of this quote:

Quote:
Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 6:56 am

I think that's healthy. And I know, sadly, that I'm not embracing mine well at all.

I know that if I did I would very likely have better mental/emotional health and it may even serve to help others understand me better. But in my life at the moment I seem to have this almost animalistic "survival instinct" to cover, mask, hide it.

There are a ton of problems in that, I know. :(

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:14 am

soloha wrote:
...Do you hide your autism or embrace it?

I like my autism. It explains a lot about me. Those of us who pursued diagnoses seem generally to accept and embrace their autism.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:23 am

I embrace my autism and celebrate it every day.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 7:25 am

AspieUtah wrote:
soloha wrote:

I like my autism. It explains a lot about me. Those of us who pursued diagnoses seem generally to accept and embrace their autism.

I pursued diagnosis but then did not alter my masking. I'm in a life situation where I feel that disclosing and embracing could actually cause me to be a target. I actually did allow a trait to show in front of a client -- nothing bad, and I actually couldn't help it (sensory overload).

I later apologized for my shutdown and explained I have ASD. She totally understood......And two weeks later she found a convenient reason to let go of my services. I believe I lost work for not hiding something my autism caused. The funny thing is she's a mental health professional who, though not in the field of autism, had in fact initially considered that field.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2017, 11:34 am

AspieUtah wrote:
soloha wrote:

I like my autism too. As with you, and as I'm sure it is with most of us, it explains a lot about me. I felt awesome after just letting myself out last night; letting the mask drop. I actually wondered if neurotypicals ever experience a feeling of deep satisfaction similar to how I felt as I sat there rocking, listening to a favorite song on loop, for hours. I would not give that up.

I think I was not clear. I embrace my Autism on a personal level, but for the sake of wanting to be accepted I have learned to suppress my autistic (at least those I have enough conscious awareness of) traits publicly. But it was a beautiful evening out last night; it was just the right temperature, there was a nice breeze it and it was peaceful and I really wanted to be outside. I was also feeling discouraged in respect to being accepted despite my efforts at normalcy so I gave up publicly masking it for a period. I knew if anyone noticed I was sitting on the tailgate rocking for 3 hours straight hours, without knowing I'm autistic, they would judge me negatively. I do not find people that tolerant.

It seems like my choices are:
* pay the price of masking but, at least in superficial interactions, be accepted as normal (hiding my Autism);
* be myself all the time without telling people I'm autistic and likely get judged harshly (partially embracing my Autism)
* disclose and be myself and deal with whatever comes when people know you have Autism (fully embracing my Autism). I don't know what that's like, and you can't put that back once you let it out.

What are others experiences?

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2017, 2:33 pm

I don't hide it anymore, If I need to stim, I stim. I try to be who I am and not be ashamed of who I am, and god knows I spent enough time doing that.

BBC: Radio 4

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2017, 9:09 pm

To a degree I embrace it. I like my nonconformity and deciding aesthetics and right and wrong for myself. I'm glad I try to do things really well and the way I use my nerdy side to achieve things that most folks can't get right. I like being honest. I like being fascinated by seemingly indifferent things.

But equally, I don't like taking those things too far, and I also hate my executive disfunction and the way I can't keep up with a rapidly-changing or complicated social situation. I hate my anxiety (that seems to come with the turf for most Aspies). I wish I wasn't so reclusive and averse to approaching people. I detest my sensory issues. I wish my body was less clumsy. I wish my hyper-focus didn't blind me to the big picture so much. Sometimes I wish I didn't find social masks so useful for self-protection, because I don't like using them.

Overall I'd rather not lose my traits. It's tempting, but I wouldn't be me any more.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 12:01 pm

How can I embrace something when I can't even give it a hug? :lol:

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 2:40 pm

It depends on what you mean by "embracing my autism". If somebody had a magic wand and could "cure" my autism, I'm going to have to admit I'd take that opportunity and ask them to "cure" me. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person or make anybody think less of me. It's just that autism has presented challenges in my life, and my life was already challenging enough.

With that said, I won't deny that my autism doesn't come with its perks. I have a very vivid imagination and I also write extremely well (not my handwriting, which is terrible). I'm putting together a science fiction novel which I'll probably make into a series, but I'll be focusing on that more once I finish physical therapy school. But the novel has some really cool stuff in it that I know people will think is pretty imaginative. Actually, I would give examples except I don't want to give away my ideas (LOL).

In one on one situations, I can read people pretty well and know if they are trying to take advantage of me or not. 20 years ago I couldn't do that, but autistics can, through a ton of practice and trial and error, learn to actually do things like read somebody and their expressions even better than most NTs could do.

I can also do a lot of math that almost every NT would need to get a calculator for. Nothing too complicated, but I'm extremely good with percentages, adding, subtracting, and multiplication/division even with relatively large numbers. Just don't think I'm Will Hunting or something, this is fairly basic math that doesn't involve equations.

There's a lot of other stuff I can do as well just from learning how to do it. My theory is that the autistic brain is always working, and focuses on different things than the NT mind. We are exercising that left part of our brain which is very linear and analytical and by doing that we actually acquire abilities as we go along.

So yeah, if you consider me enjoying some of the benefits of being autistic and enhancing those abilities, I guess you could say that I'm embracing my autism and have come to appreciate some of the perks that go along with it. I figure things could be worse and I could have something like cerebral palsy where there's pretty much no upside. That's one of the weird things about autism, it usually comes with some cool benefits that make NT people stop say, "Hey, how'd you do that?"

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2017, 3:17 pm

I embrace it----I let my freak flag fly ('cept, when working)----I don't care what anyone thinks of me.....

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2017, 3:26 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
It depends on what you mean by "embracing my autism". If somebody had a magic wand and could "cure" my autism, I'm going to have to admit I'd take that opportunity and ask them to "cure" me. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person or make anybody think less of me. It's just that autism has presented challenges in my life, and my life was already challenging enough.

With that said, I won't deny that my autism doesn't come with its perks. I have a very vivid imagination and I also write extremely well (not my handwriting, which is terrible). I'm putting together a science fiction novel which I'll probably make into a series, but I'll be focusing on that more once I finish physical therapy school. But the novel has some really cool stuff in it that I know people will think is pretty imaginative. Actually, I would give examples except I don't want to give away my ideas (LOL).

In one on one situations, I can read people pretty well and know if they are trying to take advantage of me or not. 20 years ago I couldn't do that, but autistics can, through a ton of practice and trial and error, learn to actually do things like read somebody and their expressions even better than most NTs could do.

I can also do a lot of math that almost every NT would need to get a calculator for. Nothing too complicated, but I'm extremely good with percentages, adding, subtracting, and multiplication/division even with relatively large numbers. Just don't think I'm Will Hunting or something, this is fairly basic math that doesn't involve equations.

There's a lot of other stuff I can do as well just from learning how to do it. My theory is that the autistic brain is always working, and focuses on different things than the NT mind. We are exercising that left part of our brain which is very linear and analytical and by doing that we actually acquire abilities as we go along.

So yeah, if you consider me enjoying some of the benefits of being autistic and enhancing those abilities, I guess you could say that I'm embracing my autism and have come to appreciate some of the perks that go along with it. I figure things could be worse and I could have something like cerebral palsy where there's pretty much no upside. That's one of the weird things about autism, it usually comes with some cool benefits that make NT people stop say, "Hey, how'd you do that?"

Thanks for the post. So you partially embrace your Autism on a personal level, if I understood. What about publicly; are you "out" or still "in the closet", so to speak? Do you hide your autistic traits around others, when possible?