Therapist Wants Me to Make Eye Contact

Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 12:33 pm

underwater wrote:
I agree with the others, it's a major problem that your therapist doesn't really understand autism.

I think she thinks it's wrong or a deficit that needs correcting rather than not understanding.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 1:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
underwater wrote:
I agree with the others, it's a major problem that your therapist doesn't really understand autism.

I think she thinks it's wrong or a deficit that needs correcting rather than not understanding.

Isn't seeing the eye contact problem as a defecit-to-be-corrected a prime example of not understanding autism?

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Oct 2017, 5:53 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll be sure to talk to my therapist about this, I just hope he listens.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 5:59 pm

thebelgradebelief wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll be sure to talk to my therapist about this, I just hope he listens.

Post back when you do and let us know how it goes. I hope he listens and is receptive to learning.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

thebelgradebelief wrote:
My therapist wanted me to learn body language and social cues so I can communicate better. The first thing we're doing is eye contact, of which I am terrible at. Eye contact is very painful and distracting for me to the point where I can't speak. I'm afraid it might put me into shutdowns if I continue trying to make eye contact. I just don't see the point in it, I don't understand why NTs love looking into eyeballs. Should I keep trying to learn how to do this or should I stop this and try something else?

Say to your T." F**k you."

slave
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm

Insania2016 wrote:
Tell them to get lost...

I've practiced eye contact. It's very uncomfortable and draining. You can learn it too to make everyone else comfortable at your own expense.

YUP!

The Abdominal Snowman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

Humans and bonobos are about the only primates to use eye contact for other than aggression/threat display.
Obviously us not liking to do it is some kind of 'primitive' trait. A throwback to a time when eye contact only meant one thing. Kill time.
And have you not noticed that it gets a little easier when the subject matter is grave (like someone with cancer) or if you are very angry at the person you're addressing?

What this means, then, is that whenever we are forced into making eye contact we kinda make ourselves a little angry. That anger, of course, obviously not being good for social stuff.

Explain this to your therapist. If they reject it then fire him/her immediately.

We now have proof (from brain scans) that the amygdala goes haywire when an autistic holds eye contact. NOBODY in the mental health profession has any excuse for ignorance anymore.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 8:21 am

slave wrote:
thebelgradebelief wrote:
My therapist wanted me to learn body language and social cues so I can communicate better. The first thing we're doing is eye contact, of which I am terrible at. Eye contact is very painful and distracting for me to the point where I can't speak. I'm afraid it might put me into shutdowns if I continue trying to make eye contact. I just don't see the point in it, I don't understand why NTs love looking into eyeballs. Should I keep trying to learn how to do this or should I stop this and try something else?

Say to your T." F**k you."

I like this. "F**k you". Ha, simple but effective.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 1:02 pm

Depends on the situation

Based only on your description, it sounds to me, that, if you trust your counselor, you should make eye contact

The counselor might want you to practice. As in :D for your own good :lol:

However the counselor might just want eye contact, as in :evil: being a control freak :evil:

One former counselor had the nerve to correctly tell me that I failed to make eye contact....... That was before the diagnosis

A former psychologist had the nerve to tell me to go to a :idea: consignment store 8). To get clothes

He could have pointed out that maybe consignment store clothes would help me get a job and friends

But I am not telepathic.

Or maybe I just hurt his eyeballs and he had selfish motives

:skull: :skull:
:skull: :skull: :skull: :skull:

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2017, 1:20 pm

With therapists, doctors, etc., I usually try to smile and make eye contact when greeting and thanking at the end of a session at least. This seems to help reassure them. But might be easier for me than for many autistics as it comes somewhat naturally and I seem to have a fairly expressive face (have been told, although my facial expressions are still often misinterpreted by NTs)
While in the session I tend look at floor so I can concentrate on what they're saying and what I'm trying to say. I might make occasional eye contact in silences too.

I agree with what many others have said. You're therapist isn't going change you're brain wiring. Probably best to look for another one if that"s an option.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2017, 6:42 pm

thebelgradebelief wrote:

Sounds like a sensible choice.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2017, 2:50 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
underwater wrote:

She probably does, but that could be another way of misunderstanding. Some things, like poor executive functioning, could be called deficits since they may lead to health or safety issues. But, I think stuff like minimal eye contact gets called a deficit because other people don't like it, not because it prevents anyone from staying healthy or safe.

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Oct 2017, 7:20 am

HighLlama wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
underwater wrote:

She probably does, but that could be another way of misunderstanding. Some things, like poor executive functioning, could be called deficits since they may lead to health or safety issues. But, I think stuff like minimal eye contact gets called a deficit because other people don't like it, not because it prevents anyone from staying healthy or safe.

True. If the OP was blind the therapist would understand the need to learn to communicate without eye-contact. Why are visual processing issues so unrecognised?

thebelgradebelief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Nov 2017, 10:53 pm

Hi, just a bit of an update.

I told my therapist about it and he didn't seem to reach the conclusion that I didn't really want to do eye contact. He continues to try and practice it with me and I'm too shy to say anything.

High school student with Autism and ADHD.
Diagnosed 3/22/18.

Special Interest: The Beatles

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2017, 8:10 pm

Well, I suppose something will have to give sooner or later. Either you'll find eye contact gets less painful or you'll continue to find it so bad for you that you'll finally have to stop doing his bidding and he'll just have to accept defeat on that one. Can't you just stop going there and find another therapist? He seems awfully pushy and more certain of the rightness of his treatments than I'd think anybody ought to be. Or maybe you could write him a letter or something, if that's any easier for you than telling him in person to stop pushing the eye contact thing. Or maybe somebody else could have a word with him on your behalf.

I really don't think eye contact is so vitally important - it's no doubt useful if you can do it fairly painlessly, but I've got away with very little eye contact - I very often forget it, or find it distracts me too much from focussing on what's being said to me, and when I do remember it, I usually just shoot the occasional glance and look away for the rest of the time, which seems to do the job OK. In a lot of social encounters the detail of what's being said isn't that important, so that's when I risk it the most. But mainly I just don't look right into people's eyes, and yet I've managed to hang on socially. I don't know where this society is that expects eye contact so strictly. Most people I associate with are fairly tolerant about that kind of thing.

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 5:58 am

thebelgradebelief wrote:
Hi, just a bit of an update.

I told my therapist about it and he didn't seem to reach the conclusion that I didn't really want to do eye contact. He continues to try and practice it with me and I'm too shy to say anything.

Sorry to hear this.

I did notice you said 'he didn't seem to reach the conclusion' - does this mean you gave some hints hoping he would pick up on them? I am wondering how you told him and was it direct enough or not.

Not all therapists can read between the lines very well and some are very directive, becoming the expert in the room instead of you.