Interesting video for toe-walkers - medieval walking style

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:51 pm

magz wrote:
I must examine how I walk barefoot outdoors, it is natural and pleasant for me.
Barefoot at home I easily switch between ball walking and heel walking, depending on pace - fast barefoot is ball walking, slow is a bit marine-style not-losing-contact-with-the-ground heel walking.
I've been prefering barefoot since early childhood so probably I learned it naturally.

I used to walk barefoot a lot, and I try to do it a lot in the garden - when it's reasonably warm :?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 2:57 pm

I get a lot of comments on my posture because I tend towards the stiff side.

"You have the posture of a God."
"You're the last of the straight-backs."
"I wish I had your posture."
"You can wear rags and you look good in them. It's your posture."
"Your posture is always perfect."
"You walk like a model."

Are some of the comments I've had. :lol:
It's always quite disconcerting to have this pointed out, like I should learn to slouch more.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I get a lot of comments on my posture because I tend towards the stiff side.

"You have the posture of a God."
"You're the last of the straight-backs."
"I wish I had your posture."
"You can wear rags and you look good in them. It's your posture."
"Your posture is always perfect."
"You walk like a model."

Are some of the comments I've had. :lol:
It's always quite disconcerting to have this pointed out, like I should learn to slouch more.

Enjoy it! Things could be a lot worse! But yeah, I find the whole thing about commenting on other people's appearance strange. I don't really do it myself.

The weirdest one yet was some girl from an Asian country who told me I had nice hands, and that 'women should have small hands'. I was like, what if you don't have small hands, can you get new ones?

Btw, Raleigh, I always wonder, are you a guy or a girl? I forget, and it's like your mind is very androgynous. If that makes sense?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 3:07 pm

Yep.....the only problem with the Scandinavian climate: not enough sun, especially near the coasts.

Surprisingly, New York City gets a pretty decent amount of sun. This is because we are influenced more by continental air masses than by the ocean---even though we're right by the ocean.

I'm glad the diagnosis has inspired you, Underwater. I'm glad you're feeling less depressed, less frustrated, etc.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 4:54 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.....the only problem with the Scandinavian climate: not enough sun, especially near the coasts.

Surprisingly, New York City gets a pretty decent amount of sun. This is because we are influenced more by continental air masses than by the ocean---even though we're right by the ocean.

I'm glad the diagnosis has inspired you, Underwater. I'm glad you're feeling less depressed, less frustrated, etc.

I'm sort of hibernating for the winter. Refocusing on indoor activities. Must try to get enough sun to avoid SAD. I heard New York is unbearably hot during the summer, is that so?

Yes, the diagnosis thing was right for me....I was so anxious about it all, it was really murder, but it turned out much better than I thought. I'm very scared of doctors and psychologists and the like, because of so many bad encounters, but it ended being both a very positive experience in itself, and it led to me actually getting some help. And family and friends are more understanding, so all in all it was a huge improvement.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2017, 6:30 pm

New York, to me, is unbearably hot and humid from around early July to late August. Otherwise, it's really not too hot too often. The average maximum temperature from mid July to mid August is just about 30 Celsius, and the average minimum is about 21. This is all aggravated by the "urban heat effect."

Our winters are cold---but it's not always cold. It can make it to 15 Celsius in a heartbeat even in January, though the average maximum is about 3 Celsius, and the average minimum Minus 3. In fact, it has gone up to 22 Celsius a few times. It rarely goes below Minus 10 Celsius.

It's the wind, more than the actual temperature, which makes it really "cold" in New York City. We also get quite a bit of snow, though not as much as some areas of the Northeast. A 30 cm storm in NYC is not considered very notable.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 4:25 am

This is interesting, but toe-walking is a bit different. At least for me, when I toe-walk, my heels never touch the ground.

I need some of those shoes B)

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 5:22 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
This is interesting, but toe-walking is a bit different. At least for me, when I toe-walk, my heels never touch the ground.

I need some of those shoes B)

Yeah, they're great, aren't they? :mrgreen:

And yeah, I know toe-walking is a bit different. I never did it myself, but I've seen it. I was just wondering if the experience was relatable to tow walkers.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 12:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
New York, to me, is unbearably hot and humid from around early July to late August. Otherwise, it's really not too hot too often. The average maximum temperature from mid July to mid August is just about 30 Celsius, and the average minimum is about 21. This is all aggravated by the "urban heat effect."

Our winters are cold---but it's not always cold. It can make it to 15 Celsius in a heartbeat even in January, though the average maximum is about 3 Celsius, and the average minimum Minus 3. In fact, it has gone up to 22 Celsius a few times. It rarely goes below Minus 10 Celsius.

It's the wind, more than the actual temperature, which makes it really "cold" in New York City. We also get quite a bit of snow, though not as much as some areas of the Northeast. A 30 cm storm in NYC is not considered very notable.

That's your special interest, isn't it? :D

I just want to spend every summer at home from now on. There is nothing like a northern summer, just cool water and strawberries and light evenings, sitting outside forever because you don't really feel the night.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:22 am

You did respond to me :D

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You did respond to me :D

Yeah, I do.

Sometimes when I have a lot of threads going I get a bit confused. And I sleep while you US guys are being at your most social.

And every now and again the neighbourhood kids invade my house, so my life is not entirely predictable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:42 am

Do you play with them? That sounds nice, actually-----though it might be a pain in the butt for you.

I hope they don't bother you too much.

It would bother me---unless one kid is particularly nice.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 9:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you play with them? That sounds nice, actually-----though it might be a pain in the butt for you.

I hope they don't bother you too much.

It would bother me---unless one kid is particularly nice.

Honestly, some of them are absolute terrors. And that's not because I'm autistic, in the place we lived before the kids were nicer. I'm dealing with some really difficult ones, among them one of the most accomplished little liars I've ever met. I've figured out that they'll always do something halfway unacceptable during the first half an hour or so, I'll scold them gently in a very calm and schoolteacher-like fashion, and after that all's right with the universe. Some kids are just testing the waters because they live with explosive parents. I've figured out that the trick is to keep my calm.

But having kids around is a positive experience. I'll miss them when they become teenagers. By that time they'll probably become expert manipulators :mrgreen: I'm a bit worried about that....I couldn't keep up with teenage girls in school, and I still can't.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 10:06 am

You actually seem like a good influence on these kids.

Maybe, through your teacherly influence, they might not become as manipulative as you think they might.

They might see the virtue in rising above all the crap.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 10:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You actually seem like a good influence on these kids.

Maybe, through your teacherly influence, they might not become as manipulative as you think they might.

They might see the virtue in rising above all the crap.

That's what I'm hoping for. I think our house is a bit of a safe haven for this kid, because the rules make sense and adults are calm.

I'm happier now, too. I was in a rough spot for a while, and didn't have much to give. I'm happier now that I can be myself and people won't push me to do things I'm incapable of.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Nov 2017, 5:41 am

Back to the OP - this is my daughter catched running on a photo by her teacher:
She is wearing shoes but she clearly uses the barefoot-style running mechanics (toes down).
Yes, she loves barefoot in the summer and at home.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>