Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

fruitloop42
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Feb 2018, 3:34 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
fruitloop42 wrote:
Another feeling awkward situation for me is being around children because I don't know what to do with them or how to relate, it makes me really self conscious. Which is annoying because it isn't that I don't like children, I just don't know what to do.

Personally, I am usually better around kids than around grown ups because kids don't usually want to do things like small talk or make general conversation - they just want to play games. That said, I have had quite a bit of practice with kids over the years. I don't think I'm actually relating to them - it's more like I've learned a script on how to deal with them. I can certainly see how being around kids would be difficult for someone who hasn't learned the script.

On the phone, however, it's reversed. I find it much harder to talk to kids on the phone than grown ups, probably because they'll probably be as bad at conversing as I am.

Ah ok that all makes a lot of sense. I really don't have a lot of experience with children, there were no young children in my family growing up and there still aren't. Playing games would be more fun than small talk though.

bumbleme
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Feb 2018, 8:31 am

starcats wrote:
Something that always confuses me is if lack of theory of mind is such a defining trait of ASD, how does it relate to the idea of over developed local synaptic connections and under developed long range ones?

I was thinking that as I read this thread, maybe this answers it?
Roselove wrote:
I think maybe, I find it overwhelming to have my own strong, thoughts and feelings while trying to also understand, theirs. Maybe my mind is trying to simplify things?

Does anyone else know or have a guess how those two things could relate?

I don't know anything about synaptic connections (would like to find more about it) but wanted to add this:

I think for me what looks like lack of "theory of mind" might be a multitasking thing, where I need to shut out some type of information because I can't do everything at once. I might find it too difficult to take in all the information in an environment, another person's questions body language and point of view, pull thoughts out my head and turn them into speech, all at the same time. In a lot of situations I have to shut off some awareness of the other person to be able to speak to them. I guess that's a simplification, like Roselove described.

But often I am very aware of others' feelings and can be very comforting to people I am close to.

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

fruitloop42 wrote:
SplendidSnail wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:
In my case, I think that one way a Theory of Mind deficit manifests in me is that, if I'm in a situation where someone is sad and needs to be comforted, I never seem to have the slightest idea what to do. I stand around being awkward, of no use whatsoever.

Oh this makes sense. I am also like this. Another feeling awkward situation for me is being around children because I don't know what to do with them or how to relate, it makes me really self conscious. Which is annoying because it isn't that I don't like children, I just don't know what to do.
Same! You have to lead the conversation with most children as they are usually too shy to do that themselves with an adult stranger and I'm terrible at leading conversation so I never know what to say.

As for TOM... Is that what causes black and white thinking? I used to have that as a child/teenager, I had very strong opinions and anyone's opposing opinion I didn't understand so the only sense I could make of it was that they must be wrong. But I'm not like that anymore, I can imagine things from other people's point of view, I can imagine things I've never experienced, but I don't think of it as being a logical process of understanding, I don't really think about it, I just do it. But isn't that what instinct is? Yet I'm not supposed to be able to do this instinctively? I don't understand.

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2018, 2:15 pm

Roselove wrote:
I project my own feelings, on others. If I feel interested in someone, I will think they're interested in me (even if we have hardly even looked at each other) or I will assume that they are thinking a thought, when I have no reason to think they are thinking that. I feel kind of delusional, really. Is that perhaps, how I'm experiencing TOM problems? Basically, if I'm feeling or thinking something, I assume the other person is, too.

I am not a psychologist, but my understanding is that this is a type of theory of mind issue. You're not differentiating.

I do the same thing. It's part of why I'm so naive and easy to exploit.

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2018, 2:16 pm

DancingQueen wrote:
As for TOM... Is that what causes black and white thinking?

I think so.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I think NTs are severe when it comes to assuming people are thinking what they're thinking. Or, to explain it more clearly, they think that just because they can hear something it means everybody else can. For example, one time I laughed (not loud, just casually) at something funny my boyfriend said, and he was like "sshh, the window's open! People will hear you!" I don't know why it matters if somebody hears you laugh, and anyway, outside his window is a rather large garden, and so the public footpath is beyond the garden behind trees and bushes and there's loud traffic roaring by, so unless you're yelling right by an open window, people walking by can't hear what you're doing in your house. Just because we can hear me laugh casually in the kitchen, doesn't mean the whole street can.

That baffles me why your boyfriend would say that. If you were both attending a funeral, and he whispered a funny comment -I could see why he would want you squelch your laughing response in front of everyone else and the preacher. But even in the impossible event that your neighbors could hear you out the window when you're at home - so what if they hear you laugh? You ought to ask him why he said that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 3:02 pm

Theory of mind means seeing things from someone else's perspective.

The Sallyanne test tests a very basic version that even apes can pass of simple logic.

It may be that its not that autistics lack TOM, they just have the wrong TOM. All humans project themselves onto others, but autistics project their own autistic mind onto others, and NT project their own NT mind onto others. And since most "others" are NT the NTs by dumb luck are usually on target and correctly suss what out other folks are thinking.

ElleGaunt
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2018, 3:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The Sallyanne test tests a very basic version that even apes can pass of simple logic.

Also, it's totally different to try to understand something that is written on paper and to try to understand things that are happening in real life. Emotional engagement is different.

Quote:
It may be that its not that autistics lack TOM, they just have the wrong TOM. All humans project themselves onto others, but autistics project their own autistic mind onto others, and NT project their own NT mind onto others.

I don't know about this. I feel like in my interactions with other autistic people (who I know at school, so these are IRL interactions) we all clearly are in our own worlds. I'm talking about people ranging in age from college age to people in their late 20s to people in their late 30s, like me. I think there is for sure something to the inability to predict how other people will respond to something or what will be interesting to another person. We can bore the s**t out of each other.