Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

maradebaca
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2018, 3:20 pm

Not sure where to post this, but I was diagnosed today by my psychologist. I'm so relieved to know officially ! !!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 3:36 pm

Hello

You might find in a couple of weeks that your current high disappears and you start to feel down. This is not unusual or permanent it is just you readjusting to things. Don't rush yourself, just work through it all at your own pace, it is, even if you were expecting it, a lot to take in.

I hope this doesn't make you feel bad, only I was not warned and I do not like surprises.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 3:39 pm

Good for you! I felt so relieved when I was first diagnosed.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 4:06 pm

Congratulations on getting that figured out.
:)

What the possibility that I might have ASD came up for me at age 36, I was initially quite shocked and worried about what it might mean to have a condition like ASD, but by the time I was actually diagnosed, I too was relieved about it because it explained a lot about me.

Then I went through a denial phase because it didn't "feel" any different to have the diagnosis (but then why should it - I've had ASD all my life), and also because there are some common symptoms that I either don't have or don't present in an obvious way - but then the diagnosis even explicitly states that not everyone has every one of the signs and symptoms, and that they present differently for different people.

I still haven't completely gotten over the denial phase - I still doubt the diagnosis sometimes, but I think it's slowly getting less frequent.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 5:36 pm

Congrats, that's awesome! I remember how elated I felt when I got diagnosed four years ago. I felt like I'd just been granted admittance to a very exclusive club full of very unique and fascinating people. Don't be alarmed if you suddenly notice that your traits seem to get worse for a while, that's normal as you adjust to the knowledge that your understanding of yourself has changed. My stimming and social skills got worse for a couple of months, but after that they returned to baseline as I began integrating my understanding of my diagnosis into my new sense of self. I hope this knowledge and "proof" are able to help you as much as they helped me, good luck and congrats again! :D

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 5:37 pm

Congratulations.

It takes overcoming a lot of obstacles to get an ASD diagnosis and you did it.

Now you can put away those feelings that somehow you are deluding yourself and look at your life and the world with a new perspective.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Gimp
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 May 2018, 6:06 pm

It's really a sigh of relief once diagnosed, this I know.
One thing I would suggest (but don't take my word for it, do some research first)is not mention this at all when looking for job offers. In my experience two things happen. 1.They will talk down to you/ over-sympathize and give you a bottom feeder lower pay job offer or 2. Reject you the job offer as it is a liability to the company. Or if you are currently working, demote you.
This doesn't mean it will happen as each person is different with Aspergers, it's just an opinion/suggestion and a mistake that I made.

The diagnosis really helped me understand who I really am and why I was triggered by certain things or even meltdowns...it really helped me build structure and discipline for the first time.

Hope things turn awesome for you!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 6:30 pm

Fantastic. I am so happy for you. I was super relieved as well when I got my diagnosis. It really answers a lot of questions and it made me feel very validated. I am really glad that this has been good for you.

Wreck It Ralph

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 6:55 pm

Wow, we're making this diagnosis thing sound really bad!

Here's a summary of all the negative predictions we've given maradebaca so far:

-She's going to be feeling down and depressed in a few weeks.
-She's going to go into denial about the diagnosis.
-Her stimming (if applicable) will get worse for a few months.
-If she ever discloses to a potential employer, they talk down to her, over-sympathise with her, give her a lower paying job, or just not hire her.
-If she do have / get a job, she's going to get demoted.

OK, really, it's not that bad.

In the end, you're the same person you always were. Having a piece of paper saying you have ASD doesn't change who you've been your whole life up until now; it just explains a few things about why.

I still say it's a positive for me that I was diagnosed, and I think it will be for maradebaca.
:)

FandomConnection
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 7:24 pm

Congratulations!
The biggest thing to remember (in my opinion) is that this doesn't change anything about you as a person. You always had ASD; it just wasn't officially recognised. You are just a more enlightened version of the person who went into the assessment.

Good luck for the future! :D

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 May 2018, 7:37 pm

Good to know. For me, when I got diagnosed (I was 10). I denied it because I wasn't socially awkward, I had lots of friends, I had a great sense of humor and laughed at almost anything, and I was one of the popular kids in school. But I didn't know those were just some dumb stereotypes. Luckily, there wasn't any difference in my "other" classes because I already had ADHD and was very verbal. And also, I rocked back and forth on my chair, didn't understand social cues that much, and had every single symptom of ADHD. So those were signs (even though I didn't know about them until i found this website). But I was still in a denial phase until almost 6 months later when I saw some posts on this website that debunked all the socially awkward and no sense of humor stereotypes. So, thanks to this website, I have now accepted my aspergers (even though right now I have coped with the symptoms and don't show them anymore except all of them that have to do with my ADHD :lol:).