Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 10:49 am

I have always wanted to go to Disney world, and now my family and I are going there in two more days. I am getting very excited and also a little nervous. Just wondering if anyone here who has an ASD has gone to Disney, and what did you think? Was the crowd/noises too much, or did you have a lot of fun? Will you go back if you get the chance?

Jaydog1212
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2011, 11:18 am

Loved it. I went towards the winter so it wasn't crowded. I can't imagine going during the summer though (crowded and hot). I hear it is just awful.
Make sure to utilize the FastPass:
Tips
Hit the most popular rides in the morning. I think Epcot has the best firework display.

genedig65
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2011, 12:07 pm

We went in the fall. Fewer crowds. Get a note from your Dr. stating your DX. When you get to DisneyWorld bring your note and obtain a guest assistance pass. It was worth its weight in gold as it allowed my AS son to either move ahead in line or wait in a cool and shady spot until it was his turn to ride a ride. We had a wonderful time, the staff was very, very accomodating.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 12:19 pm

Depends on the time of the year you go. As your not going around a major holiday I think you'll enjoy it :).

MommyJones
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 12:26 pm

Definately get the guest assistance pass. It's saved a few meltdowns per some of the parents I know. You and everyone with you can go through the side entrance. I went with my stepfather in a wheelchair and they did that for all 12 of us. It was nice.

Also a little tidbit of trivia, people who enter parks tend to go to the right and move counter clockwise. In the morning go to the left. You may find less people that way in the earlier hours.

js3521
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm

We went during New Years which was a very bad idea.

I enjoyed the rides at Hollywood Studios, and since I went there the first few days, it was pretty fun.

Animal Kingdom was by far my favorite. It has a lot of open space and informative exhibits. I got into a great conversation with a researcher about her study into finding pregnancy indicating metabolite concentrations in feces samples, as opposed to the more invasive tests that use blood and tissue samples.

Epcot was nice, but Mission: Space made me ill for most of the day.

The Magic Kingdom would have been more fun had I not gone to it on New Years Eve. The crowds were unbelievable, and I ended up sitting alone at a quiet bench in a less occupied part of the park for most of the day.

kat_ross
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Apr 2011, 1:35 pm

I went to Disney World on a school trip when I was 14, and really enjoyed it. I was there in December, a couple of weeks before Christmas, and there were pretty many people there, but it didn't bother me. The hardest part of the trip for me was actually having to share a room with 3 other girls at the hotel. You may want to consider bringing ear plugs if you will be rooming with family members. Enjoy your trip!

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 1:37 pm

My mom took me for college graduation, and we got the GAC... still had some meltdowns... and screaming when the fireworks went off, but overall, it was one of the best weeks of my life! Have fun!

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 2:12 pm

I was bored. I'm glad I wasn't the one that payed for it, that would have been a total waste of money.