Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 5:42 pm

Yeah. I'm often the last in queues, the last to finish something (which has led me to being allowed to get extra time in exams/tests), and also being the last to accomplish stuff in sport. I'm even physically slow, as I can't run fast at all! :?

SpongeBobRocksMao!

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2009, 6:43 pm

marshall wrote:
elderwanda wrote:
A more current example for myself is at the check out counter. I've got it all figured out, to make it as quick as possible. I get my debit card out as soon as I can, and swipe it as early in the process as I can. Still, as I'm opening my wallet back up, they are handing me a receipt, paper money, and change, all at once. So then I've got all that stuff to put away. And they try to hand you your bag of mechandise. The cashier is waiting. The person behind you is waiting. Sometimes I feel pressured, and wad it all up and stuff it in my pocket. I hate that, though, because I want to be more organized, not less. If I do anything differently, in an attempt to speed up the routine, I end up leaving my merchandise behind, or something like that. All. The. Time. :?

I'm the same way. Why do they always insist on handing you everything at once when different items must get filed away in different locations?

Do you get frustrated as well? I often feel like hitting or throwing something when I'm pressured. I can't ever seem to let go of the agitation I feel when there are people waiting, even if it would be more appropriate to just relax and let them deal with it.

I don't feel like hitting or throwing something, because that's not how I get when I'm pressured (until it reaches an extreme point). Mostly what happens is that it's like a wall comes up around me, for lack of a better way of putting it. I become completely focused on what I'm doing, and oblivious to the people and things around me. Michael Jackson could come floating across the ceiling, and everyone in the building could start dancing, and I wouldn't know it, because I'm completely focused on the zipper on my handbag. When I get home, I realize that I've left my bag of groceries behind.

forestg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Nov 2009, 7:14 pm

Every job I've had, I've had my probation period extended. In my last proper job, the easiest and most enjoyable, care assistant at a disabled persons holiday centre, I had my probation period extended twice, due to their concerns, they where especially concerned when I said about learning in my own way.

I was talked down to by 18 year olds, excluded from all social events, this was before I new about AS, I have always tried to fit in and be normal. Anyways end of third probation my contract was terminated.

Every 1 talks to me like I'm thick, because I am slow to respond/pick things up and get things mixed up.

oh well

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 2:26 am

I find that when people ask me to do a job that's hands on I'm usually pretty slow, I think sometimes people misinterpret it and presume it means I'm not interested in helping and end up doing half the job for me. -MaS

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2009, 5:06 am

marshall wrote:
Do you get frustrated as well? I often feel like hitting or throwing something when I'm pressured.

Yes, and I have hit the table/desk in frustration at times, and broken more than one pen or pencil forcing it down on the paper way too hard.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 5:50 am

Okay so some of us are slower in executing our tasks.

Do anyone have any theories about why that is?

Is it just a matter of people being different? Is it an AS/autism thing? Or is it some co-morbid condition like ADD? Anyone who has ADD, does it seem familiar?

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

twychy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Nov 2009, 6:50 am

i always miss a joke that someone tells in a social setting. but i do like michael macintyre so i do have a sense of humour.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2009, 11:32 am

Consecutive function topic

In my last post here, I entitled it Slow and steady consistency topic. From my point of view, this is the best way to go.

Because of issues with executive dysfunction, multitasking, CAPD and dyspraxia, I prefer the approach I call consecutive functioning, so that I am able to finish what I start before attempting something else. This ensures successful completion of tasks. Nothing succeeds like success. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Ethyl41
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Nov 2009, 8:44 pm

Yes yes YES! I'm so slow. Is this an aspie thing? I think slowly, move slowly. It takes me forever to absorb instructions, ideas, everything. I am terrible at "thinking on my feet." I hate having to shift from one thing to the other quickly - "multitasking" which is required in my job, is stressful. I'm better at completing one thing before I go to the next.

bggallag
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2010, 4:51 pm

I am so sow sometimes. When it came to notetaking I was slow, and just about related to most of these posts. I think it's why employers got frustrated with me at times, because I was slow to catch on to instructions.

A social for Annapolis, MD area adults with Asperger's. The social meets on the last Friday of the month. (21 years of age and older). Cards & board games &snacks. More info on fb page. http://www.facebook.com/Annapolis.Adults.Aspergers

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:57 pm

double post

Last edited by Guitar_Girl on 12 Oct 2010, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 4:58 pm

I am slower than most people in school. I have accommodations to go to seperate rooms to take tests. There are less distractions and I have extra time. It also takes me awhile to understand what Im learning in school, particularly math.

budgenator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2010, 7:32 pm

I am always last and I almost always get to work late as well as leave from work late. I'll be late for my own funeral

bggallag

12 Oct 2010, 7:45 pm

What do you mean by double post? Just curious.

A social for Annapolis, MD area adults with Asperger's. The social meets on the last Friday of the month. (21 years of age and older). Cards & board games &snacks. More info on fb page. http://www.facebook.com/Annapolis.Adults.Aspergers

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 7:57 pm

marshall wrote:
Perhaps I should clarify.

I was mainly wondering if other people on here can relate to being intellectually gifted in some area yet feeling "slow" in certain ways. I've never been able to move quickly or "think on my feet". I always feel like I'm slower and more disorganized/discombobulated when I'm in a rush. Other people are more "on the ball" than I am.

I think what you're talking about is related to cognitive and executive functioning. I have moments of blistering speed compared to others around me, but most of the time I'm totally lost while others seem to keep a fairly quick and very steady pace in comparison.

I'm pretty sure now that my slowness is often mistaken for obsession. It can take me so long to accomplish some long term things the amount of time spent getting it done can be seen as inordinate obsession. Really it just takes me that long to get it done correctly.

Yeah. I'm slower than death at most things.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2010, 8:24 pm

MrXxx wrote:
marshall wrote:
Perhaps I should clarify.

I was mainly wondering if other people on here can relate to being intellectually gifted in some area yet feeling "slow" in certain ways. I've never been able to move quickly or "think on my feet". I always feel like I'm slower and more disorganized/discombobulated when I'm in a rush. Other people are more "on the ball" than I am.

I think what you're talking about is related to cognitive and executive functioning. I have moments of blistering speed compared to others around me, but most of the time I'm totally lost while others seem to keep a fairly quick and very steady pace in comparison.

I'm pretty sure now that my slowness is often mistaken for obsession. It can take me so long to accomplish some long term things the amount of time spent getting it done can be seen as inordinate obsession. Really it just takes me that long to get it done correctly.

Yeah. I'm slower than death at most things.

I have a need to do things more carefully and deliberately than most people. I can force myself to rush like everyone else for short periods but I can't keep that kind of pace for long. It's just too tiring. I also have to focus 100% on the task at hand or I'll absent mindedly slip up on something. Of course having to focus 100% on something menial and tedious is torture. My one consolation is that I tend to think of tasks that I'm "slow" at are menial things that a robot or computer could do. Once somebody gives me something that requires higher level thought and/or creative thinking they will see my intelligence. I just don't make a very good "service sector" drone worker.