greenturtle74’s Cartoon Guide to Asperger’s

Page 5 of 43 [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 43  Next

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Dec 2009, 11:41 am

I fear I've made a mistake in going public with this project. I worry that I'm putting myself in the position of spokesperson for the self-diagnosed in a way I'm not prepared to be.

The response here on WP has been positive, and I thank you for that. People who know me personally also enjoyed it and took me at my word. But I am getting hateful comments on my blog taking me to task for being self-diagnosed. As ignorant as these comments are, there is some truth to them. I've also read through the thread here on WP on whether a self-diagnosis is valid. What right do I really have to say I have this condition, much less to be a spokesperson for those who do?

I do believe there's a need for a fun, "pocket guide" to AS to educate and break down prejudices. I'm just not sure I'm the person to do it. My original goal was to disclose to my friends, and I've done that. Perhaps it should end there.

pikapo
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2009, 5:23 am

what a cute way of explaining it!
i like the little bird guys ;u;

though just one thing, some neurotypicals can also be introverted so they won't feel energised around people either but maybe for a while. you might know about the introversion/extroversion thing if you have read about carl jung.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2009, 5:43 am

It makes me displeased that others seek to discourage you; I found your work and explanations to be remarkable. I hope you do not let the opinions of a vocal minority dissuade you from pursuit of your goal. If being self-diagnosed is that much of an issue, you might ask for reviews from those who are diagnosed as a support of your work or see if someone would "sponsor" it as it were. And find a blog that allows you to moderate comments so that your blog is not exposed to such buffoonery. Good luck to you, no matter your decision.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2009, 6:31 pm

I no longer believe what I wrote in the cartoon. I have no right to call myself an Aspie.

makuranososhi wrote:
I hope you do not let the opinions of a vocal minority dissuade you from pursuit of your goal.

It is no minority. Google "Asperger's self-diagnosed." What comes up first? Study: Most Self-Diagnosed Asperger's Patients Just as*holes. A cruel joke? Sure, but that's the perception that's out there. People see Asperger's as an excuse for social rudeness, or personality weakness, or just a desire to be part of a special group. It is the new emo, or the new ADD, or the latest catch-all for those who fail at life. Who among us would not want to be self-diagnosed?

My claim "I'm an Aspie" in absence of a doctor's note is worthless. There is nothing I can say when people challenge me. I have two choices. I can dig deep into my savings to pay for that diagnosis, or I can keep my damn mouth shut. Neither option appeals to me. It is enough of a crime to be quirky and an outcast, but it's much worse to claim it's because of a disorder without knowing for sure.

I feel more confused than ever. I have been an emotional wreck for days. I had found real peace, thinking I finally understood myself, and now that has disappeared. Maybe all I wanted was an excuse, a label that fits. Maybe I am just another as*hole.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2009, 7:26 am

Pfft - don't let the azzholes get to ya - who cares if you are or arent - you're still you - you've discovered something you understand well - and you've still done a brilliant job of explaining the way aspies feel in the NT world!!

I think the project is wholly recoverable :D
Just treat the first version as a draft and give it a few tweaks (very few books are published in their original form)

Suggestions...
Add something about stimming
Add something about repetitive behaviours and routines
Change the wording about self-diagnosis to un-personalise it
keep your fingers x-d the washing machine support group dont get hold of a copy :lol:

I'm sure theres enough folks here with a diagnosis blardy bit o paper from some useless twerp of a doctor that can endorse the book for you as being correct :roll:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 8:25 am

FePixie is absolutely right about all she said. Also, for self-confidence, you can join some Facebook Aspie communities such as AWA and AWN and see how many of those who are artists and auhors there and have published stuff are actually formally diagnosed.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2009, 5:53 pm

greenturtle74 wrote:
My claim "I'm an Aspie" in absence of a doctor's note is worthless. There is nothing I can say when people challenge me. I have two choices. I can dig deep into my savings to pay for that diagnosis, or I can keep my damn mouth shut. Neither option appeals to me. It is enough of a crime to be quirky and an outcast, but it's much worse to claim it's because of a disorder without knowing for sure.

I feel more confused than ever. I have been an emotional wreck for days. I had found real peace, thinking I finally understood myself, and now that has disappeared. Maybe all I wanted was an excuse, a label that fits. Maybe I am just another as*hole.

Of course you aren't. :evil: And it's not like an official diagnosis is "Word of God" anyway. Its primary purpose so far as I can tell is to shut those people up. ^^

The year is still young.

ilivinamushroom
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2009, 8:36 pm

FePixie wrote:
Pfft - don't let the azzholes get to ya - who cares if you are or arent - you're still you - you've discovered something you understand well - and you've still done a brilliant job of explaining the way aspies feel in the NT world!!

I think the project is wholly recoverable :D
Just treat the first version as a draft and give it a few tweaks (very few books are published in their original form)

Suggestions...
Add something about stimming
Add something about repetitive behaviours and routines
Change the wording about self-diagnosis to un-personalise it
keep your fingers x-d the washing machine support group dont get hold of a copy :lol:

I'm sure theres enough folks here with a diagnosis blardy bit o paper from some useless twerp of a doctor that can endorse the book for you as being correct :roll:

yes please for the sake of aspies everywhere keep going with it , I knew i was self diagnosed aspie for 3yrs (and on the wrong planet my whole life) before my AS/dyspraxia diagnosis but I was still and aspie non the less. Dont let naysayers or self doubt stop you I would love to know how to copy more than the text if you would allow :pirat:

liriaren
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2009, 9:22 pm

This is brilliant~

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Dec 2009, 9:37 pm

I will most likely put the blog back up soon. I'm doing better today - but a couple things would help me out:

If you support what I'm doing, please post positive comments and help rebut the negative ones. I don't believe in removing negative comments unless they're truly offensive. I want constructive dialogue and to expose ignorance for what it is. However, I am easily hurt by criticism and not so good at standing up for myself - I am trying to get better at it.

I will add a disclaimer that self-diagnosis is not a substitute for diagnosis, but often a first step.

I want to know of existing Web sites/blogs that are supportive of self-diagnosis, that I can use as links or just references. I have hunted down a few so far. The more, the better.

As far as the wording in "Dude," what needs to be changed? Is it OK to say,
"My name is Greenturtle and I have Asperger's?" or should it be
"My name is Greenturtle and I believe I have Asperger's." or
"My name is Greenturtle and I have many of the characteristics of Asperger's."
Does too much qualification just cast more doubt on my credibility?

I do have more potential ideas for cartoons, but I also see this blog as a place to tell the personal stories of people with AS. I tell stories for a living and I believe it's the most effective way to humanize a disability/issue. One of my favorite blogs is
Invisible People, which is simply a guy doing video interviews with the homeless. I would love to see a similar approach for people on the spectrum, self-diagnosed and officially diagnosed, in video or art or writing or whatever form.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2009, 10:05 pm

I would leave it as "My name is Greenturtle and I have Asperger's?"

and change....

Quote:
While Asperger’s can be diagnosed professionally, many adults like me are self-diagnosed. Once I learned what Asperger’s is, I knew it described me. It answered a lot of questions and explained why I am the way I am. So it was kind of good news! Like finding a box I fit in.

to...
Once I learned what Asperger’s is, I knew it described me. It answered a lot of questions and explained why I am the way I am. So it was kind of good news! Like finding a box I fit in.

(yep - just chop out the bit thats no-one elses business) 8)

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 12:52 am

Don't change a thing in the cartoons. It loses the funny effect.

Do remove the comment that you are a self-diagnosed Aspie from your blog. Leave it at Aspie. It's no one's business if you're self-diagnosed or diagnosed by some 27-y/o Psychologist who knows less about AS than you.

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2009, 12:21 pm

FePixie wrote:
(yep - just chop out the bit thats no-one elses business) 8)

I'm not sure I agree with that. If I take the first statement out, then the "once I learned what it was" still implies self-diagnosis. I don't believe in running away from self-diagnosis - it would not be honest and would imply I'm ashamed of it. Still, it is a distraction from explaining "this is what Asperger's is." I don't know what to do.

zena4
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 12:26 pm

That's a dilemma, an honest one.

FePixie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2009, 7:00 pm

greenturtle74 wrote:
"...once I learned what it was" still implies self-diagnosis.

do you think? Some people may not even learn what it is until AFTER they've received a diagnosis...

I think you're correct saying its a distraction trying to explain about diagnosis/self-diagnosis amidst explaining effects - I'd just leave people to think whatever they like on that one...

Perhaps step back a little and let Greenturtle be a fictional character in the story - The message you're delivering with its delightful humour shouldnt need to take part in the petty politics and snobbery of the 'to diagnose or not' debate (like you've said earlier) And leaving that bit out detracts nothing from the overall effectiveness of the story IMO :wink:

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2009, 8:25 pm

We're back online. Drop by if you like.