Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2021, 1:14 pm

While 7 out of 10 days I am happy to be diagnosed (knowing why I'm odd, that it is OK, and that there are others like me), about 3 out of every 10 days I find it depressing. I discussed why with my therapist and I told her I always thought there would be something in my life (enough academic or career success, enough relationship success, etc.) that would "flip a switch" in me and I would be "normal". I worked very hard to achieve those levels of success. Now I know that just suddenly becoming normal will never happen, and I feel all that hope just drain away. Anyone else "mourn" themselves pre-diagnosis?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 1:28 pm

I felt the same before and after my diagnosis--except I knew more after.

Perhaps I mourn everyone else's NT status. Based upon my experience, the world might be better off it wasn't so full of NTs.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 1:43 pm

I have not be assessed so I do not know yet what I am.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 2:26 pm

No. I was not NT before my diagnosis.

Please read this: Acceptance as wellbeing--Musings of an Aspie

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2021, 2:44 pm

Thanks, Jiheisho, that was a good read. I like the equipping vs. fixing analogy.
I know I was never NT, I just harbored futile hope that I would be. I am working to adjust my thinking, but that is 29 years worth of self-perception and goals that have to be recalculated, which is a lot. I was just diagnosed right before Christmas. As I said, I do see a diagnosis as a good thing, even a great thing, most of the time.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 2:47 pm

I found out I got assessed for and most likely had Asperger's/autism when I was around 11-12. It was definitely weird to read things about autism and have it click that it described me and the issues I had, but I didn't really "mourn" being NT as I had always recognized that I wasn't "normal". Other kids and even adults always made it very clear that I wasn't like them.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 2:56 pm

I was diagnosed Level 2 Autism in 2018, and Combined ADHD in 2020.

I agree with Jiheisho that I was never NT, so there was nothing to mourn in that regard. If anything, I was relieved that I didn't have to feel like a failed neurotypical. I could adjust my self-image and consider myself a successful and accomplished neurodiverse person. Despite being content with my Autism, I felt upset that my family and teachers hadn't been more active at seeking professional support or diagnosis when I was younger. They knew I was struggling and that I was very different from my peers, but I had no accommodations except for speech therapy.

MsJustice,
It's OK to feel how you do. Everyone processes their emotions differently and the path to total self-acceptance isn't always easy. I hope you're familiar with the many wonderful books written by and for women on the spectrum. They might help you to navigate the days when you feel a sense of loss. It will get easier, the more you connect with others and explore your unique style of Neurodiversity. Wrong Planet will certainly help. Welcome to the site!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 3:02 pm

I been cuckoo all my life :P

Nothing to “mourn.”

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 3:08 pm

I've been mourning ever since I was 8. Life seemed much easier before I was named and shamed with a label.

Abstract_Logic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 4:24 pm

I've always felt '"different", so I don't think I have any "NT-status" to mourn. But feeling different often manifests itself as feeling "defective" or out of place in NT society, so I do empathize with wanting to be "normal" to some extent.

When I see NT friends or acquaintances having an easier time making friends, romantic relationships, or being perceived as a "normal" person (which, in NT world, translates to likeable, good, comfortable, not inconveniently going against the grain of their everyday experience, not cramping their style), I feel kind of envious. But I try to remember a quote that one of my heroes uses: "Being normal is not a badge of distinction". I try to remember the positive things that being on the spectrum affords me, such as hyperfocus on special interests, being extremely observant and sensitive to patterns or details that others tend not to notice, the dopamine boost I get from pedantry and having a strong preference for canon, standards, and systems, and the neurodivergent friends I've made whilst discovering myself.

RPG enthusiast
Has OCD, social anxiety, CPTSD

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 4:50 pm

I have no affection or nostalgia for being thought of as neurotypical. It was never an accurate description so why would I? Nor, if it were possible, would I prefer to be NT. I like how I am.

Looking back over my life it would have been nice not to have felt compelled to develop a sophisticated set of masking behaviour's in order to get by. So I guess that the most likely thing I would mourn is for the loss of the child and young man who didnt have to do all of that.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 4:56 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I been cuckoo all my life :P

Nothing to “mourn.”

Ditto.

It can become a problem obsessing about "how my life could be different if...." so I try not to though it can be rather difficult at times.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:09 pm

I never mourn for any NT-status.
I could care less if I'm an NT or not, as long as I'm not 'too human' that is needy and clumsy.

I mourn for the not-a-disabled-special-needs-child status.

Something went weird before it did, just as soon as I heard the diagnostician told my mom.

Two very conflicting thoughts and emotions -- one of pride and indignation, and one of liberation and realization -- as if I chose to mourn than accept after diagnosis.

The very core of me always desire a form of independence and reliable competence.
The me during puberty chose pride and indignation.

I do not mind 'different' and 'asocial', yet I very much mind 'needy' and 'incompetent'.

... I thought, back then, I was too human.
There was a time I thought autism would make me 'less human' -- so I wished a lot of myths in autism to be true.
But that wasn't the case for me.

That's why, a lot of unsocial or anti-social stereotypes and beliefs are weird, had usually wondered why it didn't resonated -- as much as I wished it did.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 5:54 pm

Question. Can one feel and be told one is different and one knows one is by the way one is and has been treated differently be difderent and not be on the spectrum or am I more likely to be on the spectrum?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2021, 6:21 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Question...
There are many, many, many ways to be different. If the "AQ 39" in your signature block is from the same Autism Spectrum Quotient test that I took then that 39 indicates "significant Autistic traits (Autism)". But it takes a professional assessment like you are waiting for to know for sure.

But, you seem like a really nice guy. I think you'll be widely liked on WP no matter what your difference is.

Unless you are Donald Trump faking us out.

MsJustice
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jan 2021, 8:18 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I was diagnosed Level 2 Autism in 2018, and Combined ADHD in 2020.

Despite being content with my Autism, I felt upset that my family and teachers hadn't been more active at seeking professional support or diagnosis when I was younger. They knew I was struggling and that I was very different from my peers, but I had no accommodations except for speech therapy.

MsJustice,
It's OK to feel how you do. Everyone processes their emotions differently and the path to total self-acceptance isn't always easy. I hope you're familiar with the many wonderful books written by and for women on the spectrum. They might help you to navigate the days when you feel a sense of loss. It will get easier, the more you connect with others and explore your unique style of Neurodiversity. Wrong Planet will certainly help. Welcome to the site!

Thank you for the encouragement, IsabellaLinton. I have read some by Sarah Hendrickx which was wonderfully validating. I too am frustrated I was not diagnosed much younger, even though all of the warning signs, even by male standards were there for me. I think that contributes to my feelings of mourning; it was constantly reinforced that I wasn't trying hard enough and that if I just tried a little harder I would somehow be "normal". I definitely internalized that, and self-acceptance is tough with or without a diagnosis of anything to complicate it!

For everyone else: "NT-status" was just the easiest way to phrase my previous ill advised fantasy I could somehow be "normal" with enough effort. I do not mean it to sound like NT is better or that I regret being neurodiverse. I had an expectation for myself which I was constantly falling short of and I now know I cannot achieve. I hold myself to my standards very strictly, so this is a goal for all of my life I have to adjust to now. I am in mourning for that dream of fitting in, not for any social status. Just to be clear. :)