Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 5:40 pm

I am extremely forgetful, and I'm totally oblivious to my surroundings. For example: a couple of years ago, my dad bought my mom a bunch of flowers for Mother's Day. A week later, I asked her where the flowers came from. I also forget to take my medication even though I've been taking it at the same time every day for 5 years. My mom brought these things up to my psychiatrist, and he said that I simply don't pay attention to or remember things that don't relate to my interests.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 7:58 pm

I'm glad I found this thread. I was just about to post something similar.

I'm always reading about the 'superior memory' of Aspies. My horrendous memory is one of the things that has kept me from really being sold on the idea that I have AS.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2010, 9:03 pm

Boy don't I....

I'm sorry, what was this thread about? :?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Su35SuperFlanker
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Apr 2012, 9:24 pm

You're not alone, as I too am forgetful, and, as a result, I suspect that I have ADD(I also noticed that I have trouble paying attention), but no one told me whether I have ADD or not :( . I forget to take my medications, and I even forgot to close the garage door on some occassions(though 97% of the time, I remember to close it). I hate this problem, and I wish it would go away! I have also noticed that, whenever my father and stepmother talk to me about forgetfulness, it's always
"importance" and, just recently, "maturity." I think that's rather cruel :x . As nice people as they are, and even when I tried to educate them about my disability(which is Asperger's), they don't seem to be willing to understand about the symptoms involved. As for the forgetfulness part, people like us cannot help it!! It's not our fault for forgetting!! :x Second, what does forgetfulness have to do with maturity and importance? That's apart of the unfortunate curse that we suffer from, yet, Aspergers is also a blessing. At the same time, as we Aspies are knowledgeable about a specific area, we're kind, polite, etc. I think it's sad that I have been growing up, ignorant about many of the symptoms of my disability, and yet, I have never been told about them :(. Consequently, I had to look up my disability and its symptoms myself, and I understand even more about how my disability affects me. I have always remembered about the "superior memory" of Aspegers as well, but, even with Aspergers, I am still a very forgetful person.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:34 pm

Klom wrote:
I tend to be extremely forgetful. I can not get by without plotting everything I'm going to do into my cellphone calendar. I leave stuff everywhere, and well.. Yeah. Have always been that way! Extremely annoying. And as everyone I confront with this fact ask me.. No, I do not have learning difficulties. I get intensely sucked up in what I do.

Is this an aspie thing? I'm just curious. I don't think so, but I'm still curious.

I am rather forgetful and disorganized.....and plotting everything in my cell phone calander would probably just confuse me more...it seems to work better if I write stuff down on whatever paper I have laying on my desk or I can always write a little reminder on my hand and hope I don't wash it off or something. Also I typically don't have learning disabilities except for math which I am horrible at.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:11 pm

I have terrible time management and organizational skills. Projects will languish until someone reminds me about them. I'll tell someone I'll send them something...and I don't because it totally slips my mind. I often get so wrapped up with doing something else that I'll forget other tasks I have to do. Basically, if it doesn't need to be done right away, if doesn't get done. If someone dictates a grocery list to me and I'm not prepared to write it down, they'll have to go over it with me 2 or 3 times before it sticks.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 5:37 am

I rely on my phone calander to be where I need to be when I need to be and my phone to do list to get things done before they are too overdue...if things arent on my phone they probably will not get done because I will forget about them.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 6:28 am

I'm pretty forgetful. On the day I'm supposed to bring the newspaper in I frequently forget and then by the time my mother gets home from work someone steals it.

Today I went in the bedroom to get a battery since the one in my cordless mouse might be dying soon and then went in the dining room, got distracted, put the battery down and then went in the living room and back on the computer and then realized "where is the battery, I lost it! :pale:"

It's not just unimportant things or things I don't care about that I forget. I watch one tv show when it airs. I like it and want to watch it but I frequently forget to watch it.

Lytig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Apr 2012, 2:01 pm

I forget and lose things all of the time.

For example, I forgot where I put my paperwork that I need for my autism screening on Friday. i was mostly finished with it and just had a few questions left but now I have no idea where I put it.

I forget tasks at work I'm supposed to do unless I put them in a list and I lose my cellphone and keys all of them time despite the fact that I lost them by putting them in places that "I couldn't possibly lose them if I put them here, right?."

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:52 pm

Both my short term and long term memory are poor. I don't know what I'd do without post-it notes and emails to myself.

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

My memory is really odd. If you tell me something, I'll forget it. Yet, I can remember something from a few years ago.

After a brief discussion with dad, it is probably related to epilepsy / head injury stuff.

shubunkin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2012, 3:16 pm

re: post above, yes I wonder if my memory got worse after menangitis ... who knows?

its the time spent looking for stuff that gets me -

even living in a semi-minimalist way, I still spend ridiculous amounts of time looking for stuff right under my nose.

Maybe I shall refuse to look for anything lost from now on.... I wonder how that would work out?

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 5:16 pm

I'm now fairly organised, at least i remember appointments if I put them in the phone, I have 3 devices synced so I don't tend to miss them.

I have great memory, but it's sorting and recalling the right stuff at the right time that's the issue. I tend to remember everything through associations, so with the right trigger I can remember anything.

I really should work on some memory techniques, do that I consciously associate in a way that aids recall. ie. things I need to do after work, I should associate with the the door out of work, that way it's recalled at the right time.

Jason