Do aspie males want an NT partner?
Yes 54%  54%  [ 15 ]
No 46%  46%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 28

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:08 am

Hey dudes, this is a man post. I read that aspie males seek relationships with NT partners, to find someone helps them overcome social, domestic, and other challenges they have as a result of their their deficencies. Is this true in your opinion? It is in mine, although I didn't know I was an aspie at the time.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

Last edited by Aharon on 30 Mar 2012, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:21 am

All of my relationships have been with NTs. But I wouldn't say it's because I specifically sought them out. They just make up such an overwhelming majority that it's kinda hard not to end up with them.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Last edited by mds_02 on 30 Mar 2012, 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:21 am

I don't know how an NT partner, male or female, could "compensate" for Autistic "deficiencies",
but it's certainly easier to find NT partners,
and for the male Aspie, who faces a situation where (diagnosed) female Aspies are few and far between, there may not be any other option.

to his Interest."

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:30 am

When I speak of deficiencies I'm referring to characteristics the male is not strong in; poor organizational skills, trouble establishing contact with neighbors, bills are a mystery, etc.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:31 am

Right. How would a partner possessing those skills mean he isn't still lacking in them?

Curious.

to his Interest."

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:34 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Right. How would a partner possessing those skills mean he isn't still lacking in them?

Curious.

I think he means that the NT partner will just handle that stuff for him. I didn't seek out my partners for that purpose, but that did end up happening in most of my relationships.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:37 am

Because now, as a couple, his wife can do the things she's good at, making life better for both of them. Example: aspie guy bounces checks all the time, marries NT wife who never bounces anything and all bills paid on time. Now aspie guy has solved his check bouncing problem. His weakness doesn't go away, it's just compensated for.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:42 am

mds_02 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Curious.

I think he means that the NT partner will just handle that stuff for him. I didn't seek out my partners for that purpose, but that did end up happening in most of my relationships.

Yep.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:44 am

Aharon wrote:
Because now, as a couple, his wife can do the things she's good at, making life better for both of them. Example: aspie guy bounces checks all the time, marries NT wife who never bounces anything and all bills paid on time. Now aspie guy has solved his check bouncing problem. His weakness doesn't go away, it's just compensated for.

Um. OR he ruins her credit and financially-ruins the both of them.

Not to be Nancy Negative, but...

For instance:
I have an NT boyfriend.
Does this means I become adept socially?
No.
It means half the time I embarrass the ever-loving you know what out of him.

to his Interest."

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:11 am

ValentineWiggin wrote:
Aharon wrote:

Um. OR he ruins her credit and financially-ruins the both of them.

That's true, at least in my case. Those were not my initial intentions though. And it's taken me a long long time, but I'm better with our money than I was.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:17 am

I'm terrible at some things and need help from someone who's better at them, so yes.

kojot
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2012, 5:36 am

mds_02 wrote:
ValentineWiggin wrote:

Curious.

Yes. That and the fact you can learn a great deal about social stuff from a skilled NT ;)

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Mar 2012, 7:58 am

From what I've read when Aspies mate they produce autistic children more often but I don't think that was the core focus of your question.

I think you might be a little off base even posing the question that way.
I've never had significant others that weren't NT but I could see it working out either way.
My wife and I have vastly different strengths and in may ways are total opposites however we share interests in common and enjoy each other's company. Where our interests differ greatly we just let the other do their thing. It isn't always rosy... we have the occasional misunderstanding/etc.. but things work out.
Aspie or NT it comes down to finding someone that accepts you and will help you grow in areas you want to.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:16 am

I edited my OP, hope my point is less vague now, thanks for your comment. I'd have to agree with you about it not mattering if they are NT/AS as long as they are supportive. I read that article and thought it would be interesting to weigh it against a WP poll.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 3:55 pm

only 1 in 200 women are going to be aspie. you would be severely limiting yourself if you took that approach.

Jason

biostructure
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 1:57 am

For a long-term relationship, I'd probably want a woman who was rather opposite in strengths and could balance me out, as some others have said.

For shorter term relationships, I could be with someone like that, but I also find some women who are close to the spectrum attractive, if they are curious in a childlike sort of way. Most of the diagnosed women I have met don't "click" much though, at least from my end.