Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

CarolineVan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Dec 2010, 10:48 pm

Thanks to all of you who responded to my post :-). I do find that when the play dates are shorter, my son deal's much better...and the goodbye's aren't as difficult for him. I'm going to try for shorter play dates and see if that makes a difference.

Another problem he struggles with is when anyone else tries to talk to this friend he becomes very angry and possessive, grabbing her hand and explaining that she is only his friend, not theirs. This drives not only her away, but the other kids too. When this happens, I've been explaining that if he continues to act like that, she might not want to be his friend anymore - and he needs to let her have other friends too - that's what good friends do. Anyway, so far this hasn't really made a difference to him but again, shortening the play dates like someone suggested could help the situation, at least for now. Thanks again to everyone...!

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:24 am

Yes I get attached to people, not in an obsessive way tho.

I also get very attached to my dogs and cats, when one dies its a drama for me.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 6:36 am

I do this with people I am really attracted to. I turn them into special interests. I hold them to a higher standard than others and even the littlest things they do wrong upset me.

It's actually screwed up 2 of my past friendships :(

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2010, 10:00 am

wow, NTs really live in a bubble of their own....impressive.

Etular
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Dec 2010, 10:35 am

I haven't viewed this thread in absolutely ages... :roll: Anywho, I can gladly say my representation of friendship/attachment has changed drastically since my reply on page 1. :wink: Whether for better or worse, is yet to be seen. :P Nowadays, much like how I described my "past" in my last post, I find myself getting rather quickly attached to people again. So much so, however, that I find myself incapable of moving outside the "bubble of attachment" and, thus, find it difficult to socialize with others as they are not in "that bubble". Like before, I find myself rarely taking advantage of friends unintentionally in order to "test" their trust - I have little idea why, and find it highly frustrating. My only thought is that my paranoia seems to be the cause of it.

AriNecromare1213
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Dec 2010, 2:25 pm

I know how this is. I am Extremely attached to my close friends and whenever I go extended periods without them I start feeling depressed. Feels bad man.