Your experience with your State's Department of Rehab

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sirius
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Dec 2010, 1:35 am

What has it been like with your State's Department of Rehabilitation for persons with Disabilities? I know that social welfare funding usually gets the short end of the stick and even in the best of times there can be a waiting list. It really depends on what state you live in.

For myself, the experience has been mostly positive and the staff were very friendly.

ThomasL
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Dec 2010, 1:42 am

You're in California, right? You said your experience has been mostly positive.. could you be more specific? I'd really like to hear what they did for you, or what they can offer to people with disabilities.

Would also love to hear about other states to learn how they compare... (and other countries too... Canada, Australia, UK, etc.)

Sirius

11 Dec 2010, 1:51 am

ThomasL wrote:
You're in California, right? You said your experience has been mostly positive.. could you be more specific? I'd really like to hear what they did for you, or what they can offer to people with disabilities.

Would also love to hear about other states to learn how they compare... (and other countries too... Canada, Australia, UK, etc.)

Well I have qualified for the LEAP Certificate (Limited Exam Appointment Program) with the state of California which qualifies me for non-competitive state employment.

For fellow California Aspies, here's the link:
http://jobs.ca.gov/CASPB/sup/images/def ... h=Y&LEAP=1

I also interviewed with the Internal Revenue Service for Season jobs on what is called Schedule-A Federal Employment in America for person with disabilities. This is a non-competitive program as well that seeks to assist people with disabilities find gainful employment.

For American Aspies with Certification of Disability you might want to check Schedule A employment section of www.usajobs.gov

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 1:52 am

I'm in California. I was stuck with a window-licking ret*d of a counselor that gave window-licking ret*ds a bad name and I was stuck with her for a few years. You really have to justify your proof of need to get funding, but they will give it to you if the state has a budget passed. The only down side really is that the best counselors get promoted and you sooner or later end up with an idiot or a rookie. It works out well for me since I only have to go to their office and deal with them personally a couple times a year.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud