Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:10 pm

You know, it might be a good idea for us to actually discuss what we've learned about pranking etiquette (I'm sure it exists!), since that's something we don't tend to use daily, and can create problems if it's done the wrong way. While not all of us would be willing to prank other people, we are probably very likely to be targets o pranks; and there must be a way of differentiating between a mean joke and one that's meant to create friendship. In some groups, pranking seems to be encouraged and accepted; in others, it's considered immature and unacceptable.

We mightn't need to learn where the boundaries are as far as perpetrating pranks, if we don't plan to try it; but I am pretty sure that there's some procedure inherent in being the target of one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2010, 9:34 pm

I learned to stay out of it while other people be silly, some pranks can go too far, I had one that I thought was going to be very funny and ended up being very offensive to one girl that liked me.

As for forum pranks, there is some thought that goes into that. I had this golden prank, told this story and bold the letters to spell out april fools throughout the story. On the last sentence I asked people to go through the story and write down the bold letters for the password to my account. (it was a online gaming forum) So they spelled it, some of the got it, some of them tried the password out and got nothing, was funny when they replied, "that isn't your password!"

But my philosophy is simply, "why choose one day to pull a prank, theres so many better days to do it on!" Everyday is April Fools for me, just this day is kind of a break.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:45 pm

I learned that I just dont get everyones jokes! :cry:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:50 pm

I hurt one of my friends and I need to be real careful with my pranks. I will understand if she doesn't want to talk to me again because I had her pranked. I won't blame her so I would let her go and not worry about her or go after her for not speaking to me again and go trash talking her like I do with everyone who pisses me off.

Now people are probably going to be questioning me now and have doubts I am real after I pulled that prank. I didn't realize people could think I am actually confessing and disguising it as a prank, after what Willard said. I never thought about it. I thought once everyone sees it was a joke, they will get over it and nothing changes. They will go back to thinking what they thought of me before. You have to be stupid to not understand "April Fools." But no I didn't know they could be thinking instead I was serious and I am just saying it was April Fools and I used this day to do it. See, there went me again expecting everyone to think like me. I still fall into that thinking at times.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 9:55 pm

Yeah, me too. It has the tendency to kill communications. Not very good at telling jokes/getting them, and not very good at prank pulling. Have tried. Haha. It's funnier to read about them, I think, at least in my opinion/from my experience.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 10:21 pm

Well, I refuse to participate, but something today came up that I tried.

My roommate was driving another housemate to cash his check, and then taking me to the bank to make a deposit of everyone's rent money, because I write the check, because I'm the only one with a bank account. We stopped inside a pastry shop while housemate #2 was picking up his check, and I expressed worry that (or so I thought) I had left the rent money in the car. When we reentered the vehicle, I could not find it, so I asked roomie #2 if he saw it in my hand when I came out and entered the car. He said no, so I informed them that I had left it back home.

They both refused to believe me for some time, laughing and mentioning the day. I became frustrated, because it was true. Finally, I convinced them, and we returned to the house. I ran in to grab the money from my desk, shoved it in my pocket, and exited. When I reached the car and roomie #2 flipped the seat forward for me to get in, I dived in and said in my usual flat voice, "Let me check again; it wasn't on my desk." Then I said "April Fools!" Which everyone was surprised by, even though they thought me perfectly capable earlier, this surprised them. I did not enjoy the joke. But they did.

Is April Fool's for the recipient? I don't like being on the receiving end, and I didn't like participating.

Lyriel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2010, 10:26 pm

I've learned that April Fool's Day gets more and more lame as the years go by. This year, the only pranks that really made me chuckle was Google's renaming to Topeka (since Topeka is about an hour away from here, their unofficial renaming to Google last month made news here, so I got it right away) and Michael Bloomberg (sp?) announcing that he was selling the naming rights of Central Park, the East River, and Ed Koch.

It seems like the days of great pranks, like the Taco Liberty Bell (1996 - I remember reading it and getting a huge laugh out of it) and the BBC's spaghetti harvest hoax (1950s), are over. :(

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 10:45 pm

I've always been a fairly gullible person, and as such, I've always had a difficult time discerning when a person is telling me the truth about something that doesn't quite fit the pattern or is just pulling a prank on me. I think pranks sometimes can be a downright painful experience, especially for those of us who have a blind spot in our understanding of what others are thinking.

ikorack
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2010, 11:00 pm

I enjoy watching my families pranks, This year my sister told my mom she was pregnant and didn't know who the dad was.

She did this with a text message in the middle of the night mom woke me up freaking out. I think shes at the number one position in the prank rank list i got going or perhaps 11-13 i don know i'll figure it out later.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 2:14 am

pumibel wrote:
I learned that I just dont get everyones jokes! :cry:

no use crying over spilt milk luv. btw, did you get mine?
s. loof lirpa

-Joshua-
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Apr 2010, 2:19 am

You know the water hose thingy next to the faucet of a kitchen sink? Well, the one in the break room at work has a rubber band holding the handle to the gun and it's pointed forward. No one has tried to wash their hands yet it would seem. >_>

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2010, 4:00 am

I've learned not to play pranks, that end up, feeling just plain wrong, in the end. The Ray Davies prank was a bad one, and the Beatles prank, was a good one.