Getting out of one bad habit but falling into another

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 11:13 pm

This is something I find myself doing a lot. I can't help it. I get so focused on trying not to do one thing wrong, that once I finally achieve it, I end up doing something else wrong.
For example: I recently got my own car, and at first I had this bad habit of trying to turn off the engine without putting it in park. But now that I've taught myself to put it in park, I keep forgetting to turn the headlights off after I drive at night.
I have to admit, I feel really embarrassed and ashamed by this. It's like taking one step forward and two steps back. No wonder my parents keep losing their patients with me. I'm surprised that my roommate hasn't already.
I just want to know if this is a common pattern for Aspies, or if I really am the only one out there like this.

Gigi830
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Apr 2010, 2:03 am

well, heck, it's certainly a pattern for me :(
Drove my mom nuts. I had a habit of losing my wallet. So I bought one of those guy wallets with a chain. So I could LITERALLY attach it to myself, LOL. Until eventually I gave in and bought a purse because being a grown woman with a baby requires you carry a lot more. That brought up a BUNCH more issues :P Still working on them actually. Just try to implement routines. Use post-its to remind you to shut off the lights, park, etc.... I LOVE those, use Post-its ALL the time. You'll eventually get into a GOOD routine, not just bad ones :)

Last edited by Gigi830 on 21 Apr 2010, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

chaotik_lord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2010, 2:04 am

It's fairly common for me. I think it has something to do with being a very poor multitasker, and not being all that great at holding focus in your head without aids. As far as things like driving the car goes, I had to memorize an order, and repeat numbers that were attached to a rhythm in my head. I still need that to this day, and I use it for other things as well, which is one reason routine is so important, because otherwise everything just falls apart.