Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

cabbage
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Apr 2010, 8:49 am

My psychiatrist tells me that I'm entitled to special treatment in college such as extra time to do tests etc. I don't need special treatment since I do fairly well but I do happen to hand write about 5 times slower than everyone else so maybe I should take this special treatment. Then again it would be pretty weird being the 1 person in the exam hall of about 300 students that doesn't have to stop writing once the clock hits the time limit. Anyone here looked into the special treatment you can get if you have an autism diagnosis?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 11:57 am

I get special treatment... well I prefer to say exam concessions due to my Aspergers and Tourettes. For AS you are entitled to extra time and a seperate room if you suffer from anxiety in exam situations. I am always entitled to a seperate room because I would just annoy everyone by shouting 'boobs' every five minutes...

Mosaicofminds
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2010, 8:00 pm

If you're a slow writer, it might help to get permission to use a computer for essay tests. At least at my university, the office for students with disabilities lets people do this if they have an official diagnosis.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2010, 8:07 pm

Try thing of it as "reasonable accommodations" instead of special treatment. They're trying to give you the same shot at success as every other student.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 8:28 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
Try thing of it as "reasonable accommodations" instead of special treatment. They're trying to give you the same shot at success as every other student.

I like what you said. That's what I was going to suggest. :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 8:43 pm

cabbage wrote:
My psychiatrist tells me that I'm entitled to special treatment in college such as extra time to do tests etc. I don't need special treatment since I do fairly well but I do happen to hand write about 5 times slower than everyone else so maybe I should take this special treatment. Then again it would be pretty weird being the 1 person in the exam hall of about 300 students that doesn't have to stop writing once the clock hits the time limit. Anyone here looked into the special treatment you can get if you have an autism diagnosis?

Accommodations and special treatment are two different things.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 8:45 pm

If you did not receive accomodations, then you probably wouldn't perform so well academically. I also receive accomodations, such as extra time on quizzes and tests, along with small-room testing.

pumibel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 8:52 pm

I think it is just fine for you to have accommodation. If you need it due to disability then you should get it. I don't think it is at all unreasonable for someone to have a little help. It is not any different from using tutoring services with subjects that are more difficult for you. It doesn't impede on anyone else's rights to a good education, either.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2010, 9:18 pm

cabbage wrote:
They're called "accommodations", and the point isn't to give you an advantage; it's to remove unrelated obstacles so that you can show your actual ability. Your writing speed is quite unrelated to your knowledge of the material you're being tested on; so, giving you more time allows you the same chance as those who can write faster to demonstrate your knowledge. You may also request a word processor (computer) for essay tests, which is a reasonable accommodation many schools allow.

Much of the time, students who get extra time take their tests in the school's disability services office rather than with the rest of the class. I get extra time myself; also, a private room (a very small, quiet room with a desk and chair in it, basically...oh, and a video camera to catch cheaters :roll: ) so that I can concentrate more easily, and talk through the problems out loud if I need to. I also don't disturb others when I stim during a test, which helps me because I think more easily that way.

It is not anything to be ashamed of; and it lets you actually show what you can do. If you need an accommodation and don't ask for it, you're like the guy sitting in the wheelchair, looking at a flight of stairs and deciding to try to get up them somehow instead of looking for the elevator.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com