If I was low-functioning would I not care about loneliness?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:05 pm

Somehow that's been my impression the last few years, especially after noticing some low-functioning people IRL and how they're content doing things by themselves for long periods of time. That's not a condemnation, of course, if they're enjoying it... I was similarly fixated on CRPGs as a young teen and couldn't have been more immersed in them at the time, but somehow now I just feel completely empty with no one around me, not a trace of love... despite having the potential to play video games I never played before through the convenience of emulation on my PC, I just don't... I honestly wish I could, with all of my conscious will, but my mind simply doesn't care.

I guess, maybe, if I was low-functioning I'd be even more functional...

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:12 pm

yes. i am quite happy doing things by myself

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:27 pm

it really depends, some lower functioning people dont mind being alone and some cant stand it. Like for example, my friend Keyliegh, want to make friends and hang out with other girls, she gets very lonely sometimes but also likes being alone.

cant really generalize autistics likes and dislikes because they vary too much.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:33 pm

I don't think I qualify as low functioning, but I'm happiest by myself enjoying my own company. If I feel lonely I just do something like go to the local sandwich shop where they know me, and that simple exchange at the counter is enough for me. I hardly ever feel lonely so it takes very little to satisfy me when it comes to interacting. You can always do all kinds of volunteer work to be around others. As far as I know usually volunteers are very nice and friendly people. I think they would be more understanding and kind towards someone with autism.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm

Mootoo wrote:
Somehow that's been my impression the last few years, especially after noticing some low-functioning people IRL and how they're content doing things by themselves for long periods of time. That's not a condemnation, of course, if they're enjoying it... I was similarly fixated on CRPGs as a young teen and couldn't have been more immersed in them at the time, but somehow now I just feel completely empty with no one around me, not a trace of love... despite having the potential to play video games I never played before through the convenience of emulation on my PC, I just don't... I honestly wish I could, with all of my conscious will, but my mind simply doesn't care.

yes,woud agree with that-am 'low' functioning, and have never experienced lonliness, dont have any level of sexuality either;am completely unaware of it altogether and dont understand it due to effects from ID,have in recent times got ID friends that have made through working for the social services and NHS learning disability services as a interviewer-we know each other at work and on facebook but have never had a want for friendships that involve being with someone/interaction.

it isnt something to wish to have though,as the opposite side of this is am unable to have interest in anything involving people,its like living in a empty blur of lines and colours where only the things am interested in show up in clear high definition,have unknowingly gone past fellow residents and staff who were injured without knowing because had not had that level of outside awareness and interaction,being able to understand that people feel different to what am feeling is another concept altogether that goes way over head,am one of the most caring people in the world towards animals and insects but just dont function with other people.

people do not show up to self,they are part of the furniture,am supported to interact with the fellow workers/friends of mine and the people we interview which is a big interest of mine as we are the ones who get to choose who works on the team so we know we are all getting someone suitable.
apologies if this doesnt make sense,am sleep deprived and in a lot of pain.

Last edited by KingdomOfRats on 29 Jan 2014, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 8:44 pm

I am lower functioning and although I am alone quite a lot and do my stuff alone, I am usually always with my grandmother who is my caregiver or if not her then another adult or counselor with the exception of school but I'm glad about that in some ways .so I don't exactly know but I didn't exactly have much people to hang out with. All I ever really hang out with are the kids were in my special-needs program and I'm pretty much content with just doing whatever I want to do alone unless it involves going somewhere outside or having to talk to someone like at a doctors appointment or trying to go to customer service or something like that. For me although I don't really have a choice since I am pretty much always with a caregiver, I do like being alone a lot especially if I'm watching videos or reading or sometimes drawing and especially when I'm in my own world.

(even though I can no longer visualize things for me being my world now mean to think or doing something deeply you want to go so intently like watching videos playing with my dolls or toys reading that I don't hear anything and my mind kind of goes in a days but it's different from daydreaming. Although I still wish I could visualize things again and literally in both literally and figuratively going to my world I cannot do that anymore my memory is so bad The only thing I I really remember is me having my books taken away because I was in my world then me having a temper tantrum and one time I almost didn't notice a pot burning and It almost started a fire because I was in my own world.

I don't always like being alone especially when I'm with my caregivers so much but I like being isolated with my grandmother next to me or constantly asking her questions and talking to her but this is only pretty much with her also not all lower functioning people are like this it really depends on the person

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:04 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

yes,woud agree with that-am 'low' functioning, and have never experienced lonliness, dont have any level of sexuality either;am completely unaware of it altogether and dont understand it due to effects from ID,have in recent times got ID friends that have made through working for the social services and NHS learning disability services as a interviewer-we know each other at work and on facebook but have never had a want for friendships that involve being with someone/interaction.

it isnt something to wish to have though,as the opposite side of this is am unable to have interest in anything involving people,its like living in a empty blur of lines and colours where only the things am interested in show up in clear high definition,have unknowingly gone past fellow residents and staff who were injured without knowing because had not had that level of outside awareness and interaction,being able to understand that people feel different to what am feeling is another concept altogether that goes way over head,am one of the most caring people in the world towards animals and insects but just dont function with other people.

people do not show up to self,they are part of the furniture,am supported to interact with the fellow workers/friends of mine and the people we interview which is a big interest of mine as we are the ones who get to choose who works on the team so we know we are all getting someone suitable.

Your post does make sense.
I am sorry to hear you are in pain.

I am on the part of the Spectrum that would be described as Aspergers and I do have an interest in people I just don't have to skills to make it work.

Your very good at describing how Autism feels from the inside.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:09 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
Mootoo wrote:

Now what to say about sex I completely understand and I'm exactly like that however I'm only 15 so I don't know the concept of romance and sex completely disgusting and kind of traumatized but not in a scary way me I don't like it at all and I don't even understand it.

I mean I understand my people do it and it's needed to make babies but other than that I don't understand my people would want sex.

and even so if you want to baby all you have to do is have surgery to have the doctor put the sperm into The egg that's why I don't get why people have sex to try for baby when it's not accurate and there's a lot of ricks like sexually-transmitted diseases. If someone wants to have sex purely to have a baby if they care for it they should have a Dr. do it so it will be accurate and they would have a baby.

I have never been attracted to anyone and I don't think I ever will . When people say sexy and stuff like that I don't really understand what they mean this is bad for me and especially my not ability to understand sarcasm since I have been told that I'm beautiful and stuff I guys and stuff who were attempting to Humiliate me I guess .

but I had no idea what they meant i guess I thought I was cute but not in a sex way.

But I didn't really understand they said they wanted to tap me and I didn't really know what it was and I didn't know what it was.

As ignorance and uneducated I am about that I had to had it explain to me well the insulation wasn't directly at me but it's a long story basically some people did what can considered sexual-harassment The person who was also getting it was trying to explain to me what they were doing but I didn't understand and I couldn't even memorize it it was just so I was just so like oblivious and I still am.

I memorized but they talked about on glee and what they said in my health class but I don't really comprehended or understand it.

It's like memorizing the culture of a foreign-language but still not understanding why they do it and you're so confused and don't really understand it at all even though you have learned a little bit about it.

People have asked me why I don't have a boyfriend and when I tell them I'm just not interested and/or I'm not ready yet they say are you gay?or something along those lines but not in the harassing way just in a genuine question.

My family wants me to have a husband and kids when I go out but if I do I'm going to have to find someone who is both asexual who still wants to have kids and anti-romantic unless I somehow bloom.

The way I can explain it is that I'm like a young child who is really smart but still a young child and I don't really understand that kind of stuff and nor am I interested in finding out.

I do get what you mean about that other stuff I also know what you mean sometimes I want to talk to my grandmother or someone else and then I get to them and then I suddenly don't want to talk to them anymore or don't know what to say and when I was younger and hang out with a group of people more I wanted to be in a group I guess not to feel left out and to avoid being bullied it's much although since I have been bullied so much and so hurt and isolated by people I don't even know where to begin if I want to be a deep friend with someone and I don't even think I'm interested. And other times when I'm with a grandmother I want her there but I don't want her to talk to me and I don't want any noise around and I just want to be isolated in what I'm doing but I still want her to be there I know it's kind of selfish but its just the way it is although I never had this implemented into my life I don't Andrea said hello and set them to sit next to me while I diff something my she's watching over me or I'm watching what she is doing or while she's doing something or for doing something together I like to talk to her and ask her questions over and over and try to hug her a million times.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:36 pm

I am more severely autistic than previously thought. When I go out, either my caregiver or aide must be there. When I cannot identify how I feel or am frustrated, I often self-injure or meltdown...recently aggression is impulse. This is also I deal with confusing events.

Not lonely anymore, but do enjoy talking in bits.

Last edited by Lumi on 29 Jan 2014, 10:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:38 pm

I've read that people who didn't function well and were non-verbal at one point (and the "touch me and I'll scream" type), when they got older and began to become verbal and function better, they'll admit when they were younger they WANTED human contact, but couldn't handle it.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:39 pm

Lumi wrote:
I am more severely autistic than previously thought. When I go out, either my caregiver or aide must be there. When I cannot identify how I feel or am frustrated, I often self-injure or meltdown...recently aggression is impulse. This is also I deal with confusing events.

Not lonely anymore, but do enjoy talking in bits.

This is like me. Except in addition to meltdowns I also have shutdowns. And sometimes in a store sometimes I wander off and they lose track of where I am and then I could be hours and then they have to look everywhere to find me.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:41 pm

For people who require caregivers and can not work how do you feel about this.

I can work but I find working a stressful burden however if I was not working I would be going insane.

Would you like to be able to have a job or are you glad not to have this burden?

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 9:52 pm

Sethno wrote:
I've read that people who didn't function well and were non-verbal at one point (and the "touch me and I'll scream" type), when they got older and began to become verbal and function better, they'll admit when they were younger they WANTED human contact, but couldn't handle it.

Well for me if I grandmother compass me someone I know or even just someone just lightly touching it doesn't bother me too much I mean I'm going outwardly scream I kicked stuff us something like that like when I was younger but If someone grab me and I can't let get my self out or If someone tries to restrain me I would get scared and cry going to complete meltdown and make a scene because I wouldn't know what to do.

Since the way this is happened I have only been restrictively grabed once and that time
In public and my aunt grabbed me and it was total anarchy I was screaming and crying kicking it don't anything I can to run away and I guess elope and the people that were there were staring at me .

I believe my grandmother has also done this and something else different that's related to this one or a few times did this other thing like you know when your kid The upset and might push you or something and your smack them and then they are shocked and don't do what they did again. for me I would totally go to meltdown and taken anything I can and I don't think it actually hurt her because of my low muscle tone but I couldn't help it.

The thing is I don't know how I would react if I was Restrained by police luckily in case of emergency I do have my medical bracelet although it doesn't really have a description of that it just has my diagnosises.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm

I am not considered low functioning, but I also don't really feel loneliness. Times when I am by myself and left to myself are the best for me. The least amount of stress, overload, other issues that having people around can bring.

It also means I don't have any kind of ~sense~ that I haven't talked to someone, and instead I just forget about them. It makes it harder to maintain friendships because ultimately I forget to talk to people.

I also don't have any particularly strong interest in relationships. For a time I liked the idea of relationships but the reality is that it requires a lot of work that is already hard for me. And as it turns out, I never really wanted one.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm

sharkattack wrote:
For people who require caregivers

I don't know much different...do want to volunteer with special needs again, but it must be for 2 hours or less. I require some to much supervision.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 10:08 pm

Lumi wrote:
sharkattack wrote:
For people who require caregivers

I don't know much different...do want to volunteer with special needs again, but it must be for 2 hours or less. I require some to much supervision.

I have volunteered before for short time but I was under constant supervision by my uncle also while he was volunteering as well as helping me at the same time. and even so I couldn't really do much properly and I needed help with a lot of stuff. some of the people were volunteering with us noticed him helping me and tried to help me too he wouldn't have to do it alone and it was kind of fun but weird talking to and being around strangers but a carryover was there so e I didn't really feel that bad or uncomfortable or scared about it