Why do people hate the mentally ill more than criminals?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2006, 12:43 pm

walk-in-the-rain wrote:
Laz wrote:
Something thats been missed so far which I'll just point out.

Religion....

I went to a Catholic school and had one religion teacher tell me that I would not be depressed if I had enough faith. That is like kicking a person when they are down.

The negative attitude of mentally ill is that way because it is all to do with survival of the fittest in our culture. It even manifests itself into religion where in history there was a culling of the unfit.
Think about what a stereo typical which looks like, they are ugly and hideous and they believed in strange magic and last of all they was woman not men. Breading control always starts with the woman.

Society is always seeking ways to acquire power, whole appearing to be caring. The disable gets that care because simply because their disability is obvious.

My brother Desmond is autistic, he is mentally ret*d and he cannot talk. Nobody would ever dream of blaming him for what. Should by any miracle he develops halfway he would get so much grief from people and have so many problems that he might as well stay the way he is.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2006, 1:57 pm

I have never met anyone who hates the mentally ill, let alone hate them "more than criminals". I think most reasonable adults don't hate anyone with an illness (mental or not), though they may treat them like 2nd class citizens.

ARW_AS
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2006, 3:31 pm

TORY DEPUTY MAYOR: THE BEST THING FOR DISABLED CHILDREN IS THE GUILLOTINE
By Geoffrey Lakeman

A TORY deputy mayor has sparked outrage by calling for disabled kids to be guillotined to avoid wasting cash on their care.

Retired GP Owen Lister made his sick suggestion to fellow councillors as they discussed sending the youngsters to a £3,000-a-week care home.

Mr Lister, 79, told them: "I would guillotine them."

He has now quit as deputy mayor but yesterday stood by his outburst.

He said: "I indicated at that point that perhaps the guillotine might be better.

"These are children you can't educate. It's merely a matter of caring for them until they die.

Advertisement
Falk AdSolution

"The only difference between a terminally ill patient and a severely handicapped child is time." The councillor, of Swindon, Wilts, argued the funds should instead be used to cut NHS waiting lists.

He added: "It shows how peculiar we are as a society on this matter that we spend this vast amount of money caring for disabled youngsters to very little purpose at all.

"It would be better spent on those who might actually benefit, such as cancer sufferers. We have 5,800 people waiting to go into hospital in Swindon. A percentage of those will die as a result of waiting too long."

His remarks came as the borough council's children's committee debated putting youngsters in a Cornwall home. Labour councillor Fay Howard said: "There was a slight pause and looks of disbelief. Everyone was totally shocked."

Labour colleague Barrie Thompson, the committee's vice-chairman, likened Lister to one of Hitler's henchmen. He said: "The last time I heard remarks like that were from Heinrich Himmler."

And the Disability Rights Commission added: "It's chilling that an elected representative with responsibilities for deciding on support to disabled children should view the slaughter of innocents as legitimate public comment."

Mr Lister also quit the children's committee and now faces a council probe.

A council spokeswoman said: "He recognised he'd said something deeply inappropriate that could cause offence and resigned straight away."

DAILY MIRROR

Pillock, eh? Not only is he a prat, but he thought of the most inhumane way to get rid of people all over the spectrum. Even putting dogs down is more humane than that. Disabled people it seems are quite like those adorable baby seals that get clubbed to death with the old plank and nail.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2006, 3:34 pm

Having anything other than the typical neurological/neurobiological/mental/personality setup in society is going to be seen as a weakness and enemy by those who are easily persuaded by stereotypes and their peers.
Mental illness gets a lot of bad publicity because it's usually only ever heard in the media when someone has attempted suicide,or tried to kill other people,too many people are stupid enough to not realise that the media is not going to report on the everyday living of those with mental illnesses who live like everyone else.

Another reason is that for many years, mental illness/conditions has been associated with being 'fake' or pyschosomatic,because people don't realise that they have discovered physical causes for these conditions.

Mental health is not seen as valid as physical health is,more awareness is needed.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Hunter4242
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Apr 2006, 2:35 am

Remember that Reality Shows purposely pick the people that seem to be the worst examples of humans they can. then reevaluate why this happened.