Why do neurotypicals become stupid as they enter adulthood?

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jun 2010, 2:11 am

Fair enough.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jun 2010, 3:19 am

I completely reject the opinion of the OP. Neurotypicals do not become stupid when they reach adulthood. That generalisation is just so - well stupid, and immoral. Just as it would be as stupid and immoral to make the same generalisation about any other group of people.

Threads like this appear regularly on WP and they make me really angry. However the Aspie elitism (for it is usually Aspies who start them) which they represent is refuted by people who are more eloquent than me.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 4:00 am

Variant wrote:
MuayThaiKid wrote:
War=unnatural
Genocide=unnatural
Murder=unnatural
rape=unnatural
abortion=unnatural
Obesity=unnatural
laziness=unnatural

Really? All these things you list are unnatural? I would have to disagree.

(...)

Genocide: Continuing with the above example, will a pride of lions kill every single member of a pack of hyenas that is in their territory? They absolutely will, given the opportunity.

Murder: All carnivores kill in order to eat. Some even do it for fun, such as orcas who kill a sea lion and then spend a long while tossing the carcass around playfully only to then not eat it.

I think that concepts like "genocide" or "murder" only make sense within the same species - saying that a fox "murders" a rabbit is like saying that a rabbit "murders" a carrot.

Quote:

Rape: This is pretty much standard in the animal world. If a male animal wants to have sex and a female doesn't, but the male is bigger and stronger, then guess what? The male is getting sex whether the female wants him to or not.

I have some doubt about that - many (most?) animals have very complicated mating rituals to convince the females.

MechAnime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 9:44 am

TPE2 wrote:
I have some doubt about that - many (most?) animals have very complicated mating rituals to convince the females.

I know dolphins (and ducks) are famous for it:

Quote:
In order to coerce the reluctant females, males form groups of two or three – often remaining together in their search for sexual gratification for well over a decade. When they find a suitable female they literally force her to mate with one or more of the group, and have even been known to herd their unwilling consorts for months at a time, basically using them as their personal sex-slaves.

Although dolphins are not alone in the animal world of gang-rapists, research suggests they’ve the perfected the art to a degree unseen in any other species, and it seems they don’t limit their advances to their female partners, either: there are several reports claiming divers and swimmers have also been accosted.

http://scienceray.com/biology/marine-bi ... gang-rape/

In fun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgLq365hdbk

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 1:07 pm

RetNet56 wrote:
SilverPikmin wrote:
They don't become stupid as they enter adulthood.

Oh, they drink and drive, pour hot coffee on themselves intentionally in order to sue the coffee shop etc. NT adults are often some pretty disgusting individuals.

Drinking and driving is illness and / or ego; the hot coffee thing was one woman over 20 years ago. You can hardly use these rare occurrences to characterize an entire population. That is prejudice and wrong.

I was expecting you to ask a far more nuanced and interesting question of the type my son is constantly wondering about: how, if someone like me learned calculus, can I not remember algebra and geometry? Or why can't I keep my Chinese dynasties straight? Stuff like that.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 1:10 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:
because they are born dumb, but it manifest when they get older, :doh: :doh:

While I realize you are at least in part joking, lets please refrain from being that negative to an entire population of people.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2010, 11:46 pm

Invincible wrote:
RetNet56 wrote:
Why do neurotypicals become stupid as they enter adulthood?

Have you seen today's culture?

Mind numbing music, one-sided news stories, more concern over who won the NBA Championship rather than the leak in the Gulf of Mexico and the list just keeps piling up.

The truth is... NT's keep becoming more ignorant, more self-absorbed, more immaterial, etc. as each day passes. Hell, look at the crap that's on MTV these days. Nothing but shows... no music, unless you want to surf Youtube for them. Another case in point... Disney. Most of their teenage female stars grow up to be the next Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus or Lindsay Lohan. What's worse is that most of the girls think it's cool to look up to people like that.

The boys just hit Cartoon Network and watch those destruction reality shows. I mean, what's so great about destroying something you made. Hell, they even imitate moves they see on pro wrestling and MMA and they think it's cool to emulate that?

If anyone's ever seen the live-action Josie and the Pussycats movie, it's just one big joke at how pop culture is.

So fellow aliens, that's my rant about why NT's become stupid as they become older.

how is that any different from at any other point in history? How is that different from pretty much any other age group?

Welcome to the world of society being society.

I hate to say it, but if you honestly believe this is a brand new thing, congratulations: you've been brainwashed by the very propaganda you accuse them of listening to.

This is why I warn everyone here not to "drink the Kool Aid"; I wish more would listen, but I can only expect so much...

Oh...and if you're really desperate for an answer to the whole oil spill thing( yeah, cause y'know...we've never experienced one before :roll: ), just take into consideration the telling words of Dean Stefan, who's a legendary writer for several animated TV shows: "90% of people suck at what they do".

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jun 2010, 12:58 am

TPE2 wrote:
I think that concepts like "genocide" or "murder" only make sense within the same species - saying that a fox "murders" a rabbit is like saying that a rabbit "murders" a carrot.

Not at all, in the animal world they're simply known as extinction/competition and predation. Just because we choose to label them differently when we do them does not change the act itself.

And if you'll look at my example, which you quoted, I focused on killing for fun rather than for food. So, your example doesn't even fit into the criteria I was using.

TPE2 wrote:

Many animals do, yes, but not all. And despite the mating rituals, if a male is large enough he will force the female to mate. But again, as humans we like to relabel things. For us it is "sex" or "rape" depending on consent, but in the animal world it is just "mating" for either.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 5:38 am

This does not apply generally to all NTs, but I have know quite a few people who are very set in their ways, and who don't think about what they do or what they believe, they just follow convention. I find this disturbing, because these are the people who supported a president who lied to start two wars, and they elected him a second time. By that standard, there are at least 59 million of them in this country alone (though some may have had carefully thought-out reasons to vote the way they did, I just can't imagine what those reasons may be).

I think that both children ad Aspies tend to be more curious, and enjoy thinking things over rather than following the herd. Perhaps this is what the OP was referring to. But these are all generalizations.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2010, 6:03 am

bee33 wrote:
This does not apply generally to all NTs, but I have know quite a few people who are very set in their ways, and who don't think about what they do or what they believe, they just follow convention. I find this disturbing, because these are the people who supported a president who lied to start two wars, and they elected him a second time. By that standard, there are at least 59 million of them in this country alone (though some may have had carefully thought-out reasons to vote the way they did, I just can't imagine what those reasons may be).

I think that both children ad Aspies tend to be more curious, and enjoy thinking things over rather than following the herd. Perhaps this is what the OP was referring to. But these are all generalizations.

do you think you could leave the political examples and discussions for the political forum, and potentially come up with something that doesn't have to do with said opinions?

BoltOn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2012, 10:36 pm

Well, here's a theory. Suppose they aren't any smarter when they are younger, its just that due to the sheer Wall Of Noise that an AS experiences the world as, we don't notice how thick the Neuts are.
In fact, as I'm sure is the bitter experience of a lot of readers here, we assume incorrectly that the fault - ie. the growing confusion about the world - lies with US and not with the meat-mud.

But as the red sludge grows up and enters high school (is that Senior to our american friends?), things become a bit more refined all round.

The strongly regimented life of a Neut teen begins and the focus narrows and narrows. Except in an AS or other high functioning Aut - where the focus expands and expands.

So - I postulate that they dont become stupider as they enter adulthood, they STAY at the same level of meat 'intelligence' and it is WE who accelerate ahead of them.

Y'know, there was only ONE skill I ever wanted from Neuts, looking back - how to pick up girls, and thats something I've had to brutally learn over the last years instead. Beyond that, there isn't anything Neuts knew or had or expressed that was of any value, as far as I could see, whatsoever.

Ps. You'll notice my posts are slowwwwly toning down a bit. I'm still getting over the Big Bang of realizing I'm an Aut and that that explains my entire life. I'm in the self righteous anger stage right now. I'll possibly stay there! :)

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2012, 11:46 pm

SilverPikmin wrote:
They don't become stupid as they enter adulthood.

I have to agree with this. NTs nor Aspies become any stupider with early adulthood. Stupid decisions such as drinking and driving come with the increased amount of personal freedoms that come with early adulthood. As a child, a person is not allowed to drink, drive, or make many decisions for themselves. Most of a child's choices are made by their parents. When a person enters early adulthood, they are given the opportunity to test their new personal freedoms that come with independence. The idea of being independent can be exhilarating because of the amount of opportunities that come with it. Sometimes poor decisions come the result of being curious about new personal freedoms rather than from the lack of intelligence.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:05 am

Because their brain starts to shrink.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2012, 3:14 am

This kind of thread is exactly why I don't feel comfortable here sometimes.
Why is it OK to generalise so-called "neurotypicals" (a word I hate but that's another discussion altogether) in such a derogatory way? If somebody asked, "Why do aspies smear crap all over the walls?" or "Why are aspies so socially ret*d?" would you be OK with that?

SrRes
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Feb 2012, 4:57 am

As a NT, these kind of threads are really eye openers. I first came to these forums to gain some insight to what Asperger's syndrome really is and how it affects a person's life. Well, I think I've achieved those goals, at least to some extent. I now know how hard it can be to have AS or can imagine it, at least. And when I first when I encountered threads like these, I thought the generalisations were caused by the different way of thinking the people with Asperger's have and I still think that is true: some people just don't understand, like NT's don't understand those with AS. For a while people here seemed really tolerant and I was pleasantly surprised.

But of course, the more I read, the more it seemed that in quite a few cases the reasons were more typical. You know, ignorance, arrogance, unwarranted self importance and stuff like that. Because of this I've come to a conclusion that I was wrong about the tolerance. It seems that people with Asperger's are no different from those so called normal people in terms of illogical thinking and vast generalisations. These traits are as common here as they are in any other message boards I frequent. I guess it is true that some (ignorant) people just hate what they can not understand: these kind of threads are proof of it. Congratulations, in terms of bigotry, you are no different from NT's. I admit now that it was naive to think that people with Asperger's would be more tolerant than others. People are people, after all.

By the way, English is not my first language, so I apologise if I sound clumsy.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 5:13 am

SrRes wrote:
As a NT, these kind of threads are really eye openers. I first came to these forums to gain some insight to what Asperger's syndrome really is and how it affects a person's life. Well, I think I've achieved those goals, at least to some extent. I now know how hard it can be to have AS or can imagine it, at least. And when I first when I encountered threads like these, I thought the generalisations were caused by the different way of thinking the people with Asperger's have and I still think that is true: some people just don't understand, like NT's don't understand those with AS. For a while people here seemed really tolerant and I was pleasantly surprised.

But of course, the more I read, the more it seemed that in quite a few cases the reasons were more typical. You know, ignorance, arrogance, unwarranted self importance and stuff like that. Because of this I've come to a conclusion that I was wrong about the tolerance. It seems that people with Asperger's are no different from those so called normal people in terms of illogical thinking and vast generalisations. These traits are as common here as they are in any other message boards I frequent. I guess it is true that some (ignorant) people just hate what they can not understand: these kind of threads are proof of it. Congratulations, in terms of bigotry, you are no different from NT's. I admit now that it was naive to think that people with Asperger's would be more tolerant than others. People are people, after all.

By the way, English is not my first language, so I apologise if I sound clumsy.

Please do not take this thread as an indicator of the general feelings of the members of Wrong Planet. There are very few people on here with that attitude. The vast majority of the people on here will quite rightly disagree with the OP and the member who resurrected this very old thread.