Religion (or lack thereof) and Autism/Asperger's?

Page 1 of 24 [ 370 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 24  Next

(People with Autism/Aspergers Only) Religion or Not?
I am very religious, and attend religious services/meetings as often as possible. 9%  9%  [ 54 ]
I am religious, but do not always attend religious services/meetings. 8%  8%  [ 43 ]
I am religious, and attend meetings/services on occasion. 2%  2%  [ 14 ]
I am religious, but I rarely attend meetings/services. 9%  9%  [ 51 ]
I am confused in this area. 6%  6%  [ 35 ]
I am agnostic. 24%  24%  [ 136 ]
I am atheist. 42%  42%  [ 239 ]
Total votes : 572

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:08 pm

Willard wrote:
So-called 'intelligent' humans have been on this planet for only a few thousand years, while the universe around us has been here for billions, yet some proudly assert their intellectual superiority because they think their precious God 'Science' has found all the answers and explanations already - yet scientists revise their findings and their definitions of absolute truth and reality constantly.

I don't believe in god but I don't think science has found all the answers already. There are many things that need to be found and worked out. Scientists are still trying to answer questions. Modern science is fairly new and has only been around about 300 years, we have only discovered a small part of the natural world and space.
And science is not my "god", it has nothing to do with gods. Science isn't a religion.

And, I think it's a good thing we aren't evolved enough to know everything, because that would take away the excitement the enjoyment of the natural world. We'd probably kill ourselves off before that happens anyway.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:25 pm

Willard wrote:
Accepting the probability of intelligent design is still a long way from believing that a creative force behind the makeup of universe is the Yaweh of the bible.

Seems like beliefs are only believable for a few thousand years before they lose their credibility and stop being so. There was a time the world was believed to be flat. Now it's thought of as a sphere with a bulge in the middle. What if, a thousand years from now, someone says it's square?

Quote:
But I find atheism every bit as ignorant and closed-minded as any fundamentalist Christian or Muslim ever was. Insisting that there can be no creator without absolute proof that none exists is an act of faith, not science.

Understandable, considering atheism is as dogmatic as religion.

Quote:
So-called 'intelligent' humans have been on this planet for only a few thousand years, while the universe around us has been here for billions, yet some proudly assert their intellectual superiority because they think their precious God 'Science' has found all the answers and explanations already - yet scientists revise their findings and their definitions of absolute truth and reality constantly.
In defense of people, we have discovered a lot considering how little time we have devoted to finding out. Scientists shouldn't be fooled into thinking a theory is written in stone when it could be one quarter truth at most. When I watch shows about the history of earth, I wonder if scientists really know, or if they are fooled into believing they know when they don't. I find myself thinking, "yes, but how do they know for sure?"

Quote:
On a cosmic scale, we don't yet qualify as kindergartners, and already as we divide and explore the matter that makes up our seemingly solid physical world, all indications are that its not so solid and physical as it seems and that the universe itself may be in some sense 'alive' - we may all be living in a conscious cosmic 'Holodeck'.

We don't even know for sure how many dimensions there are or how many we exist in.

Quote:
All I know is, people who claim they have all the answers never do. Humans aren't evolved enough to have acquired that much comprehension yet. If someone told us the whole truth, our heads would explode trying to process it.

Maybe there isn't a whole truth, and this is what humans have the hardest time grasping. A human is most comfortable with absolutes and will not accept that an absolute might be an impossibility.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:25 pm

Willard wrote:
But I find atheism every bit as ignorant and closed-minded as any fundamentalist Christian or Muslim ever was. Insisting that there can be no creator without absolute proof that none exists is an act of faith, not science.

Like "The absence of proof is not the proof of absence". Like Carl Sagan said. But I don´t believe in that.

Willard wrote:
All I know is, people who claim they have all the answers never do. Humans aren't evolved enough to have acquired that much comprehension yet. If someone told us the whole truth, our heads would explode trying to process it.

We can´t see the extra dimensions implied by string theory but they are there. The LHC will prove it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:48 pm

Coldkick wrote:
They are finding more and more scientific proof that the Bible's information is actually 100% true.

At what date will this "scientific proof" air on the scifi channel?

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:56 pm

MONKEY wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
I am the opposite, i find most sciences to be utterly without merit, i take the Bible as the ultimate history book. i cant understand how our world got here without divine influence. the odds are just too long that earth "just happened" there had to be an intelligent creator, there is no way around it.

Oh really? Without sciences there would be no technology today, astronauts wouldn't be going into space, new species of animal would not be discovered, there would be no organ transplants and blood transfusions. There would be no insight into animal behaviour and genes if it weren't for Darwin publishing his discoveries.
And what has this "ultimate history book" done for the world? Wars, the spanish inquisition, people being sent into siezures when being "excercised" by so called miracle healers, certain groups being persecuted for things beyond their control e.g. homosexuals.

i said MOST sciences. i am not against space exploration, or species discovery, or organ transplants. i just cannot accept the idea of evolution, it stands entirely against my core values. and yes, most sciences are pretty much going to evolution and global warming, the only thing "warming" is that steaming pile of crap that modern science has become.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:58 pm

I can't bring myself to believe in God or in any other supernatural belief because I just find it implausible. I consider myself an atheist.

It's not science that gives me that impression but common sense and everyday experience, as well as experience gathered from reading. Not just reading about scientific theories but all other writing about human experience, like literature and philosophy.

I agree there are many things in the universe that we puny little humans cannot fathom, but the likelihood that a fairy tale invented by humans will turn out to be the correct explanation is highly unlikely.

No disrespect to religious people implied. I know that religion and spirituality can be very important to individuals, and I wouldn't want it taken away from them.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 8:25 pm

I am a spiritual person, not a religious one. Religion requires the closing of ones mind to the possibilities of the universe.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 8:27 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
I am the opposite, i find most sciences to be utterly without merit, i take the Bible as the ultimate history book. i cant understand how our world got here without divine influence. the odds are just too long that earth "just happened" there had to be an intelligent creator, there is no way around it.

Oh really? Without sciences there would be no technology today, astronauts wouldn't be going into space, new species of animal would not be discovered, there would be no organ transplants and blood transfusions. There would be no insight into animal behaviour and genes if it weren't for Darwin publishing his discoveries.
And what has this "ultimate history book" done for the world? Wars, the spanish inquisition, people being sent into siezures when being "excercised" by so called miracle healers, certain groups being persecuted for things beyond their control e.g. homosexuals.

i said MOST sciences. i am not against space exploration, or species discovery, or organ transplants. i just cannot accept the idea of evolution, it stands entirely against my core values. and yes, most sciences are pretty much going to evolution and global warming, the only thing "warming" is that steaming pile of crap that modern science has become.

It is that religion is always against science. Inquisition burned Giordano Bruno alive and confined Galileo to home imprisonment because they believed that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 8:34 pm

Wedge wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:

It is that religion is always against science. Inquisition burned Giordano Bruno alive and confined Galileo to home imprisonment because they believed that the Earth revolved around the Sun.

The good news you won't get that reaction from scientists, but they could ignore data and manipulate findings to suit their theories.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:14 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The good news you won't get that reaction from scientists, but they could ignore data and manipulate findings to suit their theories.

...not quite. look up the movie Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed. The focus is on how academia tries to silence people who believe in Intelligent Design. they go so far as revoking tenure of college professors who simply question the theory of evolution

there is a modern day inquisition going on, people may not be burned at the stake, but people have been entirely discredited, kicked out of their field because they dare express belief in God.

manifoldrob
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jul 2010, 9:22 pm

I am and always have been atheist. Not agnostic, atheist. I am very relieved to see there are lots of other atheists here too.

jc6chan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 9:26 pm

Even though I'm a Christian, I don't describe myself as "religious" (I voted for the top one). I guess it depends on what you call "religious/religion". I don't practise "rituals" and in fact, I believe rituals can get in the way of my faith because if you do things with a strict routine, you lose the purpose of WHY you do them and I don't believe that the outward actions mean anything if you don't have the right heart. Jesus warned against doing things without the right heart, such as praying in public to "put on a show" rather than praying in secret.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:24 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
academia tries to silence people who believe in Intelligent Design. they go so far as revoking tenure of college professors who simply question the theory of evolution.
The theory of evolution is a scientific theory that has very strong empirical evidence to support it, so any scientist who refutes it arbitrarily is not practicing science, unless they are able to point to empirical facts that can be verified and that disprove or cast doubt on the theory, and I'm not aware of any who have been able to do so credibly.

Creationism and intelligent design are religious theories, not scientific theories. It's fine to study them within the field of theology, whre they have a place, but they are not scientific theories and have no place in the field of science.

If you don't believe in science, then that's fine, you can study theology instead, which is an important field in its own right. But don't confuse the two.

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 10:29 pm

I feel that Aspies and others on the Spectrum are more likely to be Agnostic or Atheist because they have a strong tendency to be more logical, and question things instead of blindly accepting certain beliefs. Apparently there are multiple contradictions in the Bible, and that doesn't help with convincing the Aspie either.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 11:23 pm

I voted for the 2nd choice, but it's really not right. I do attend every week. I don't ever skip. But I don't attend "as often as possible". That would be trying to go daily, rather than just once a week.

I'm really more spiritual than religious, but I do, as I said, attend weekly services.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 11:44 pm

Mostly agnostics and atheists, I see.
Which is kind of the result I expected. :P