Is hand gesturing while talking an AS trait?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 4:15 am

That's funny, I don't gesture at all by default. I had to teach myself to do it. Not sure though, I did consciously repress a lot of physical expression as a child for whatever reason, so maybe it became a habit.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Aug 2010, 10:01 am

I am a visual-spatial processor (I do not believe the word think fits it is to slow) and I am of the belief that those that are, all use their hands.
Hands are tactile, they feel and sense. The blind use their hands to 'see' what the ones with sight can see.
They do not use their mouths to see.
We also to a lesser degree use our ears/hearing

Auditory-sequential thinkers use their mouths and words
They do not need to use sight or see anything.
Just their mouths (and ears/hearing).

The process speed of images is anywhere from 8 times or more, faster then the thinking speed of words
A picture is worth a thousand words and at times I do not have enough words to say what I see. So I get long 'winded" it frustrates me, as much as the reader - maybe more so.

Having to translate words, can be frustrating and slow. But unfortunately if the two types are to communicate, we have to be the ones.
It takes way to many years for a auditory-sequential thinker to learn to properly be visual.

I see things as a Whole then I see the parts, if need be. I look at words. I do not scan a word left to right.
I use my hands to help me 'turn/adjust and view my images better, to move in all directions of my viewing (picture Google maps, multi directions, zoom in and out). I 'pluck' a part of an images and can view it closer.

Picture grapes on the vine in a vinyard, for me that is the 'whole of grapes'. That would be my image of a verbals word for grapes. I can pluck 'a grape' and veiw it closer.

All these involve my hands.

devark wrote:
I talk with my hands because it helps me guide my attention and keep on track about what I want to say. Like I'm always, in a sense "seeing" what I'm talking about, so moving my hands around relative to what I'm seeing in my mind helps keep me focused. I also become very clumsy when I do this, so its not uncommon for me to walk into, trip, or knock something over when I really get talking (I'm great at parties!).

People that look at pictures and images can feel the same thing. Some get dizzy.
I know if my images are going extremely fast and the 'video' is zooming from one space/place to another
I feel it.

Completely 'sane, non-suicidal' individuals have jumped/fallen from places.
Did they get an instant thought (fleeting thoughts?) to kill themselves? Or did vertigo over take them?

This is an interesting 'look' at it http://trewisms.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/vertigo/ I wonder if that is what would happen to auditory-sequential thinkers if they instantly 'saw' what visual-spatial processors see.

Quote:
What is vertigo? Fear of falling? [...] No, vertigo is something other than the fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves. (‘The Unbearable Lightness of Being’, Faber 1995 p. 56)

http://www.giftedservices.com.au/visualthinking.html

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:32 am

it is dangerous to be within a certain radius of me when i talk... :cheers:

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:33 am

I do it all the time without noticing, but I think it's just a general character trait TBH.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:42 am

The "stereotype" about people with AS is the opposite, I think.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:44 am

aspi-rant wrote:
it is dangerous to be within a certain radius of me when i talk... :cheers:

+1, I punched a friend of mine more than once.

I tend to either use hand gesture too much or not at all. :lol:

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 10:48 am

I do it all the time-it doesnt hurt anyone unless you smack someone that gets too close-hasnt happened in my case.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 11:26 am

OMG, I do this excessively to the point that my friends make comments about it. They laugh at my mannerisms and say no one else they know makes those kinds of gestures while talking.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:02 pm

No, it's not. Everyone does it to a point, communication is never just words, there will be some movement of the hands.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:06 pm

MONKEY wrote:
No, it's not. Everyone does it to a point, communication is never just words, there will be some movement of the hands.

That post was just words... :P

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:08 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Ooh smart arse :P
FINE then, when talking face to face it isn't just words, better?

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:18 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Ooh smart arse :P
FINE then, when talking face to face it isn't just words, better?

Yup, that's more accurate :P

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:22 pm

Not really; not always... If I'm thinking hard enough about what I need to say, nothing of me but my mouth will be moving; or the moving I'm doing will be pretty much unrelated to communication. I dump the non-verbals when I need to do so to get my point across. I'm pretty sure there are others who use the same strategy.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 12:33 pm

When i start talking the best way to shut me up is to tie my hands down.

Hell, i hand gesture when i talk to myself. :?

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 3:27 pm

Judging solely from my experience, I would say no. For the first half of my life, I never used hand gestures. I never even thought about it or noticed it until in 4th or 5th grade my mom pointed out that I should use gestures to add emphasis to particular points (I was practicing a speech). I still didn't do it just because it felt so alien to me. Now I use gestures normally; like a lot of traits, that one simply corrected itself.

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:10 pm

I use loads of hand gestures when speaking; both stimming, as well as artistically expressive gestures. People have often commented on, or joked about, my dramatic gesturing :wink: Maybe part of it is because I am a dancer; I guess I´ve always felt more comfortable communicating with my body, rather than with words.