Is hand gesturing while talking an AS trait?

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Morgana
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:10 pm

I use loads of hand gestures when speaking; both stimming, as well as artistically expressive gestures. People have often commented on, or joked about, my dramatic gesturing :wink: Maybe part of it is because I am a dancer; I guess I´ve always felt more comfortable communicating with my body, rather than with words.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:27 pm

I used to gesture very much when I was a child. People laughed at me, because I spoke monotonous and harsh, but I waved my hands like in silent movies. It could look funny.
Now I don't use gesture so much.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 5:35 pm

Hand gesturing when speaking is only a symptom of an Italian herritage...or at least that's what my dad (who has Italian heritage) says.

websister
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2010, 6:02 pm

I have always moved my hands/arms a lot when I talk and it has been commented on but as I now observe myself, it is more a waving of the hands/arms around - maybe it could more be likened to "hand flapping" than actual gesturing to make a point; I do know that it probably does appear to be excessive but it does come naturally and does seem to help me communicate.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2010, 6:07 pm

Most of the human race gestures while speaking.

ruveyn

ladyrain
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2010, 10:21 pm

devark wrote:
I talk with my hands because it helps me guide my attention and keep on track about what I want to say. Like I'm always, in a sense "seeing" what I'm talking about, so moving my hands around relative to what I'm seeing in my mind helps keep me focused. I also become very clumsy when I do this, so its not uncommon for me to walk into, trip, or knock something over when I really get talking (I'm great at parties!).

This is me. If I'm talking about things that interest me, I act out my thoughts with my hands, arms and body. The more relaxed I get, the clumsier I am, knocking things over, breaking things. I can take up a lot of space once I get going.

If I have to talk on the phone, I will cover any paper within reach with unconscious doodles.

Callista wrote:
Not really; not always... If I'm thinking hard enough about what I need to say, nothing of me but my mouth will be moving; or the moving I'm doing will be pretty much unrelated to communication. I dump the non-verbals when I need to do so to get my point across. I'm pretty sure there are others who use the same strategy.

But this is also true - if it's important, or if I'm really angry, then the only thing moving is my thoughts and my mouth, the rest ceases to exist. On the rare occasions when I get coldly angry, sometimes it seems as if even the air around me freezes in place. Sudden preternatural stillness is a very bad sign.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2010, 11:11 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Most of the human race gestures while speaking.

ruveyn

No one I know does. Or, if they do, it is very minor. Like just pointing or something.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 8:42 am

I've always done this since I was a little kid. People (excluding adults) thought I was gay.

Countess
Toucan
Toucan

23 Aug 2010, 9:05 am

Asp-Z wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
No, it's not. Everyone does it to a point, communication is never just words, there will be some movement of the hands.

That post was just words... :P

You had to move your fingers to make them. Unless you have dictation software. Just sayin'....

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:20 am

Countess wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
No, it's not. Everyone does it to a point, communication is never just words, there will be some movement of the hands.

That post was just words... :P

You had to move your fingers to make them. Unless you have dictation software. Just sayin'....

I have voice recognition on my computer :wink:

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 9:22 am

Just about everyone who is not paralyzed or armless gestures with their hands. It is a natural human mode of communication and can be traced back to other primate types such as the chimp and bonobo.

ruveyn

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 10:06 am

KevinLA wrote:
I have seen NTs use hand gestures when talking. Do people with AS do it more frequently?

---

In some cases, hand gestures/arm movements are a kind of hyperkinesis/hyperactivity associated with the ADHDs. Sometimes a person can be sitting at a table and the hyperkinesis/hyperactivity in the legs is restrained but the hyperkinesis/gestures in the arms is clear. Am aware of where some parents have asked their child to sit on their hands so as to reduce the hyperkinesis/hyperactivity of the arms at the kitchen table.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm

flyingkittycat wrote:
I think in pictures and usually use hand movements to bring out shapes, directions and stimming while talking to keep the conversation going. Otherwise I get stumped and freeze up. If people don't like the way I convey the message then don't ask for a message.

:idea: topic

Me, too. :bounce:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo