Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ApsieGuy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:21 pm

I know you all are down on NTs. However, not all of them are bad people.

Hung out with a really awesome NT. 58 YEARs old and into fishing....

I think you guys should give them a chance

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 9:46 pm

I have several NT friends and they're all amazing people. It's not like they're a separate species or anything. Saying that we are all down on NTs is an overgeneralization. It might just take some of them more effort to understand us, that's all. One of my good NT friends doesn't even know that I have AS, but he's a very quirky person himself and has a learning disability. There are infinite possibilities of brain wiring, and the people we call NTs can have their own neurological peculiarities. To dismiss them all is just silly. Sometimes it can be worth it to give them hours of long explanations, but if they make an effort to accept you and to appreciate you for who you are, then it can well be the price to pay for a great friendship.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Drummer
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2010, 10:11 pm

Over the course of about forty years, I have two NT friends left. I've known them both for more than ten years. I've had lots of friends over the years, but I never really tried to keep in touch with them. These two are the only ones who won't let me drop out of their lives, so I really think of them as true friends.

I didn't even know about AS until about two years ago, and I'm in the process of arranging for a diagnosis. I'm not sure if I'll tell them about it either way. I don't think it would change things negatively, but at the same time if things are going so well, I don't see how telling them about this will make things any better.

I think just being yourself and seeing who doesn't find an excuse to avoid you is probably the best way to make and keep good NT friends. Again, I'm the asocial one who doesn't try to maintain friendships, but they found something in me that's worth pursuing.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 10:20 pm

I've met many really wonderful NT people. Certainly not all NT's are the way they are portrayed in the AS community. :)

SteveBorg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2010, 10:36 pm

I appreciate y'all giving us NT's a chance. My son is on the autism spectrum, and I am a therapist working with some individuals on the spectrum, so I've developed a deep interest in getting to know more about the autism community. But I have to admit I have been somewhat intimated at times by the feeling that I am not welcome. But I will continue to push on with the remarks you have made in mind :)

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2010, 11:14 pm

I don't have any problems with NTs. Every friend I have is one.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:17 pm

Yeah, I don't get why the OP thinks we don't like NTs. It's like assuming black people don't like white people or something... The reality is that we're a minority in a world where some members of the majority are prejudiced or like to take advantage of us; and yes, sometimes it's hard to remember that not all members of the majority are like that; but it's not like this is some universal hatred or something. It's more like annoyance with the state of the world in general.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2010, 11:55 pm

I was just hanging out with two NTs, earlier on this evening. I had a lot of fun. :)

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2010, 12:27 am

Most of my friends are NT's. Though, they are all strange in their own ways.

Even some "normal" people have weird quirks.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 1:27 am

I talk to NTs and some of them are awesome. Not all of them are judgmental and ignorant. Some are open minded and accepting of others and differences.

I don't limit myself to people, it depends on who they are and their personalities. Heck I have ran into a few NTs online who were also weird and had their quirks. I like it. I have ran into one online who was brutally honest and hated things being sugar coated and white lies. She wanted everyone to be honest to her and not give her that NT crap. But sadly we only chatted once and never again. I don't know what happened and I assume she would have told me she doesn't want to talk to me at all if that were the case since she is so honest. But she did say I was hard to talk to due to me taking things literal and all.

My whole family who doesn't have AS (my dad has traits and so does my little brother) I get along with them well. The treat me good and are understanding. I have known other good NTs in my life such as my therapists I have had in my childhood.

I think the reason why the OP assumed we all hate NTs is because there is NT bashing here . I don't think he realizes that is maybe the minority here that does it or it's just a few of us venting and we don't really hate NTs. We just hate those NTs. But I still hate NT bashing, even if it's a vent someone is doing. Use "people" than NT. But it does seem like lot of us do it because those posts stand out more.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2010, 10:20 am

I thought I didn't have any preference but then it came out most of my friends have either ADHD or autistic traits, I didn't know it! Some may be on the NT side but still have traits if you know what I mean. I don't mind hanging out with NT's either but it sort of depends, we must have something in common.

SteveBorg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep on speaking up in the forums!

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 12:21 am

Lol, none of us hate NT's. It's just a few members (or was it just one?) who came by recently, who seem to want to incite us into thinking in that flawed manner.

I don't hate NT's. That would be prejudice at it's definition; not my cup of tea. There's bad people and good people in every group. (Well... in most cases.) The problem in everything is misunderstanding. NT's who undermine how we really feel, misunderstand us and take advantage of us, and just seem to hate us, of course, are bad. But who's to say Autistics can't do the same? And still, we're all people and people can change.

Me just being peace-obsessed again, but I didn't mean any of that as a joke. :lol:

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2010, 2:18 am

Its probably due to that most NT society is unavailable to us, so some compensate for this loss by saying 'who cares anyway'......

sort of thing

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Sep 2010, 6:49 am

Most NTs I know appreciate my act of kindness and my honesty. Somehow throughout the school years, I became really popular with them. 8)

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2010, 9:58 am

In real life I only get along with NT's. I only know 2 people that have traits that'd probably land them on the spectrum and although I like them, they don't seem to like me. I think they're overly cynical or something.