Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

plainlyordinary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Sep 2008, 2:08 am

handling emergencies are definitely situations in which i excel. i don't attach emotion to my reasoning or decision-making.

jrknothead
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 3:33 am

My toaster caught fire today and almost set the kitchen on fire... I unplugged the toaster, and covered the flames with a pizza box until they went out... then I had my breakfast, with plain bread instead of toast... didn't faze me in the least, even though letting it burn half a minute longer might have set the whole house ablaze...

Johnson68
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2008, 3:46 am

I'm usually pretty calm in emergency situations.

Last year I went motorbike riding with a mate of mine.
And we were merging from the out of the bushland onto the road.
We continued to look for traffic but there was nothing there and then we
began merging onto the road and my friend clipped the front of a semi trailer.

He died on impact, and the sight was horrific and I should have been flipping out.
But I still reacted calmly and phoned the ambulance and everything else.

It's the same whenever I break some form of bone in my body, most of the time
I don't even feel the break happen until someone points out that my arm looks broken or something. :lol:

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2008, 3:19 pm

I freak out very easily, enough said.

blamo
Raven
Raven

05 Sep 2008, 7:26 pm

I worked as an EMT on an ambulance (my dad's) for a short time, I sucked at it. I guess it was because I simply didn't care one wit for people. I knew the tech part, just never got emotional or cared too much. But I was one calm Mutha at a car crash.
"That hurts *Yawn* yeah, it looks like it might"
" We probably won't know what's wrong with you until after the autopsy"

Alright, the second one was a joke.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 8:18 pm

Better be. Wouldn't have cared how much I was hurting, I would've punched the EMT that said that!

I'm almost as calm in an emergency as I am usually. That is probably because I handle many minor things that my mind marks as "emergency" when other people wouldn't. Any social situation, any unexpected event, any difficult task gets the same reaction. A life of constantly dealing with "crisis" means that I'm not all that much fazed when my cooking bursts into flames or a tornado decides to stalk my neighborhood. I guess if they got me on a bad day I'd have a meltdown, but then, forced social contact on a bad day will do that. Just haven't got enough brain left, sometimes.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 8:50 pm

I don't react so well to emergencies. For me, emergencies mean that a change has occurred, and change is one thing that I always have reacted unfavorably to.

Raaf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Sep 2008, 12:09 am

In a way, I will loose my nerve in an emergency sitution though I am not the one screaming, vomiting, or spacing out. If I have to deal with the situation myself, I force myself to keep my cool and manage, although it is hard for me to think straight. Afterwards, I feel the (I think) adrenaline (or is that cortisol?... whatever) rush through my body, sometimes for hours, which makes me feel exhausted and sick.