Should I suppress synesthesia again or should I recover it?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2011, 4:02 pm

Years ago i had synesthesia other than the ablity to think both verbally and visually (pictures and movies).
I remember i associated numbers and letters with colours.
Anyway when i was about 14 years old i tried to suppress my synesthesia because i though it was something wrong, forcing my mind to work with words or pictures. And i succeded. Last year i also telled about it to my mom and she said 'how nice, associating numbers with colours, i never did that!'
In those days synesthesia is returning. And i don't know how to think about that.
I've learned this word on this forum, and making researches i've known what was the thing that made me associated numbers with colours when i was a child.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jun 2011, 4:36 pm

Does it cause you distress?

I personally like my synaesthesia, primarily the music -> color link. The color -> flavor link can be a mixed blessing.

owlyellow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

I personally like my synesthesia as well... though I don't think I'd be able to suppress it even if I really wanted to.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

Depends; is it distracting?

If it's a sudden thing, I'd be going to the doctor; but if your brain's always worked this way and it's just a matter of your paying conscious attention to it or not, it's your choice.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jun 2011, 5:40 pm

I'm born with it. As child i also had fun with it '1 blue, 3 green, 4 yellow' something like this.
Now i don't know. Is returning and i'm confused. I try to understand it again and to see if i can use it in a constructive way

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 6:17 pm

I think most people may be synesthetes to some degree. I don't have synesthesia to any real degree, but I still think of numbers as shapes because I'm a visual thinker, I associate color with temperature and shapes with sounds. This kind of thing is actually something you can find in the general population; for example, when given nonsense words to associate with shapes, people will reliably pick certain sounds to go with sharply pointed shapes, others with rounded shapes. I think we've got to have some kind of synesthesia, because otherwise we couldn't have language--the tendency to associate a sound with a written word with a physical object or a sensation. Symbols of all sorts have synesthetic qualities. I'm pretty sure that synesthesia proper is an extreme expression of this tendency of the human brain to associate things in one sensory category with things in others.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tayribeiro
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jun 2011, 8:33 pm

Wow, i aways thought people thought this way naturally, i must be synestesic and didn't knew :s
When i think of an object i don't think the word itself, but the mental image of the object, its texture, smell, etc...