Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 3:39 am

thought i'd post this, as it makes a change from all the horror stories about AS and employment, and put it here rather than in the "Work" bit, so more people will read it.

one of my "bosses" mentioned to personnel that i have AS (i am completely open about this, btw, so he wasn't doing anything i wouldn't want him to do). i received a letter from personnel asking me to ring them if i wanted to discuss this. although the letter didn't sound threatening, i thought it was another one of those "are you actually competent at your job, if you have AS?" type letters.

i phoned, with mild trepidation, i must admit. instead of me having to explain that i have, in fact, been teaching for nearly 16 years, and so am obviously competent, the phone call was about personnel (please note NOT "Human Resources") asking if there was any way they could support me, anything in particular i needed as someone with AS.

Bloody hell!

i was a bit discombobulated, to tell the truth, and said i couldn't think of anything right at that moment. the reply was, and i quote: "well, we have an open door here, so please let us know if there's anything we can do to support you in the future." she also asked to be included as and when i circulate information about AS (see my post in the education bit - any more replies would be welcome).

so there ARE people out there who care, who are interested, and who are prepared to actively find out about AS.

what a ray of hope!

Last edited by vetivert on 07 Dec 2005, 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 3:42 am

woo hoo! brilliant news morgvis...

Its good to see an example coming out of an employer being actively inclusive - perhaps the NAS campaign is having some impact in the UK, d'you think?

well chuffed

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 6:35 am

It's really refreshing to hear when things go as they should!

Also, I don't know what 'discombobulated' is but it sounds lovely ~

I want to be discombobulated too! ~ :D

NoMore
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 9:47 am

vetivert wrote:
so there ARE people out there who care, who are interested, and who are prepared to actively find out about AS.
what a ray of hope!

Wonderful!! !! !! !! ! :D
Good news is always nice to hear.

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 4:51 pm

It's great to hear about positive experiences for a change. :)

Thanks for sharing that- too much doom and gloom doesn't do any of us any good.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 5:05 pm

I guess I must be lucky, because whenever anyone has discovered that I have AS my experiences have been like vetivert's. It is great to read some good news, though, because there does seem to be some anger toward NTs on these boards. (Don't get me wrong though, this is a safe place to rant!)

Mel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 5:16 pm

Bec wrote:
I guess I must be lucky, because whenever anyone has discovered that I have AS my experiences have been like vetivert's. It is great to read some good news, though, because there does seem to be some anger toward NTs on these boards. (Don't get me wrong though, this is a safe place to rant!)

I know what you mean about the NT anger- it was something that made me wonder whether or not I should join at all- but I've come to the conclusion that no-one is lumping all NT's into the same group (well I'm optimistic enough or perhaps naive enough to think that no-one would stereotype others like that).

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 5:36 pm

Birillant, Vivi! I wish it was that easy to rally positive support (does eight years sound like a long time to you?)

Off Topic: Thanks for the information, Bec! I'll be sure to mark my calendar for July!

Cheers,
Archmage

P.S. You mean 7/16/05, right Bec?

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 6:52 pm

Archmage wrote:
P.S. You mean 7/16/05, right Bec?

no, she means 16/7/05.

lol

brit-stylee

yay!

Archmage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2004, 8:07 pm

Oh, so that's how they do it overseas :oops: .

I apologize for being ignorant of anything that happens outside of America. I haven't traveled outside it yet, so sorry.

we will make it through,
Here we are, like a star,
shining bright on the world,
Today... Make evil go away!

"Code Lyoko" Theme

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2004, 10:56 pm

Everyone around me tends to the month/day/year format, but I've always preferred the day/month/year format, it just seems to make more sense having each step to the right be an increase in unit size.

I get funny looks when people see me using this form, we aspies are quirky :)