Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 12:49 pm

I was wondering how many aspies don't have problems with executive function. People who know me say I'm one of the most organized people they know in terms of time management and other stuff. I usually have an exact schedule for several days ahead and I follow it religiously. I know exactly when I have to leave to get on a bus, and when I get a work assignment I divide it into several parts and complete one every day until the deadline. It's pretty much the same with everything I do - I always plan exactly what I'm going to do and when, and just do it.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:17 pm

I am completely the opposite. Any organization or structure is inside my head. I have a great deal of difficulty externalizing my thoughts into coherent goals and plans.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:22 pm

I have moderate problems with organization.

RainingRoses
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 1:45 pm

I just got told to clean my office and turn in a month's worth of time records. I'm 38 years old(!) How embarrassing :oops:

And it was all for the want of a nail.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:03 pm

I am the opposite of the OP. While I have other issues related to my (probable) AS, trouble with executive function seem to be what cause me the most actual problems in my life. Until about 3 years ago - the first time I tried living FULLY independently: no family, no boyfriend, no roommates - I did not realize that my problems in this area were anywhere near as bad as they are. Boy, did I make a mess out of that! 8O :oops:

With the help of my boyfriend, I've pretty much got the mess resulting from that debacle cleared up, and am now trying to figure out what, for me, is going to be the most effective way of addressing my EF deficiencies to avoid another disaster in the future. :wall:

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:07 pm

Does executive function only have to deal with organizational skills?

Would someone care to explain it in layman's terms, please? Or provide a link?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:21 pm

Jediscraps wrote:
Does executive function only have to deal with organizational skills?

Would someone care to explain it in layman's terms, please? Or provide a link?

Executive Dysfunction

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:24 pm

I have been good at certain types of timing as I would have a timetable to follow for my walk to the bus stop, with timing points along the route that I would follow religiously. But that's because my special interest is buses. Otherwise, my executive functioning is terrible.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 2:30 pm

My apartment is clean but I get lazy and don't always clean it unless I am expecting someone because I think it's rude to not clean up when you know someone is coming over. Every now and then I go on a cleaning spree and I still have my Halloween stuff to put away but I am always too lazy to do it. I might do it this weekend. I leave in time for work and to make my appointments. But I have to learn to be more organized like when I make appointments, be sure to remember what days they are on so I am not scheduling things on the same day and maybe start writing them down on the calendar so I can look at it and plan what days I should get things done so I don't keep on procrastinating (I do plan my days anyway) and start planning on what to eat so I am not eating the same stuff over and over. But for some reason I find all this thinking hard work and too much. It's all about decisions. But I am trying to get better now.

But I find simple things hard to do but that is due to my anxiety and not wanting to use my free time to get it done so I get lazy and keep putting it off. I don't know why they seem so hard for me.

Do I have ED, I don't know. No way I am going to claim I have it when I am just lazy or have a hard time with decisions. I just have to force myself to do things.

I tried to find that one page where they show the symptoms but couldn't find it.

But my last ex who was an aspie had no problems with ED because he was very organized and made his appointments and made it to work on time. He also liked things to be neat.

Avengilante
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

alexptrans wrote:
I usually have an exact schedule for several days ahead and I follow it religiously. I know exactly when I have to leave to get on a bus, and when I get a work assignment I divide it into several parts and complete one every day until the deadline. It's pretty much the same with everything I do - I always plan exactly what I'm going to do and when, and just do it.

That may only exhibit a need for strict routine, which is a compensation for Executive Dysfunction and processing impairment. Have you made plans for your retirement, purchased a burial plot, built a stock portfolio - do you make organized plans like that on your own, or only when you're assigned a task?

alexptrans
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2010, 3:46 pm

Avengilante wrote:
That may only exhibit a need for strict routine, which is a compensation for Executive Dysfunction and processing impairment. Have you made plans for your retirement, purchased a burial plot, built a stock portfolio - do you make organized plans like that on your own, or only when you're assigned a task?

No, I haven't done any of those things. I hate anything that involves paperwork or contact with the authorities.

Maolcolm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Nov 2010, 4:09 pm

I have monumental ED problems. It affects everything. I hate it. I have a pretty high IQ and a sharp, logical mind - yet I can't live an independent life because of ED problems.

PangeLingua
Toucan
Toucan

08 Nov 2010, 6:25 pm

Maybe your organization and planning is a compensation for mild executive dysfunction.

I try to plan and organize things also, but am too dysfunctional to do it efficiently. So my lists and notes end up all over the house written on strange bits of paper. I can make a schedule but I won't end up following it because I'll get stuck on something and be unable to stop and there goes the schedule.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

08 Nov 2010, 7:11 pm

executive dysfunction would be to not to listen to this cool song!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9RJXWxth5g[/youtube]

:pig: