Do you wish you were never born? Do you think about suicide

Page 4 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Do you wish you were never born and/or think about suicide?
yes, often. 58%  58%  [ 138 ]
no (or seldom) 42%  42%  [ 101 ]
Total votes : 239

Paretozen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Dec 2012, 8:44 pm

I have decided for myself that I will use heroine before I commit suicide. So in that sense, using heroine will be committing suicde.

This is also a very comforting thought, since it will mean I'll have a TOTAL BREAK-STATE of my mind since I've never ever come close to the opiod type stuff. Who knows what will happen to my thoughts then? Suicide always remains an option..

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

29 Dec 2012, 10:27 pm

I find it interesting that people tend to assign a long list of reasons why they're not suicidal. However, someone else in the same circumstances may very well be suicidal because of mental illness.

The only really accurate explanation is "I am or am not suicidal because of the presence or absence of particular mental illnesses and the distortions in thinking they cause."

When I am suicidal, many of the reasons that I would say I am not suicidal at other times either contribute to suicidality anyway, or they are completely irrelevant. Being suicidal is not something I consciously choose, but rather is something that creeps into my thinking and changes my perceptions until the only viable future course I can see is killing myself. Fortunately, many of the depression symptoms that trigger suicidal ideation also make it extremely difficult to follow through on suicidal planning.

Theuniverseman
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Dec 2012, 2:19 am

After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with color, bountiful with life. Within decades we must close our eyes again. Isn't it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in it? This is how I answer when I am asked -- as I am surprisingly often -- why I bother to get up in the mornings. To put it the other way round, isn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born? Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume discovering the world and rejoicing to be a part of it? We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.

Richard Dawkins

Systemizing quotient - 52
Aspie-quiz ? AS: 151 NT: 61

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 5:41 am

All the time usually on bad days though [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCa5_CUZgUY[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Dec 2012, 6:39 am

No, I'm glad I'm born, I'm glad to live and I've never thought of killing myself. Why should I kill myself because of the difficulties I go through in life? There are people who are worse than me, and never think about killing themselves. I prefear to be optimistic about my life.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 Dec 2012, 6:59 am

Kairi96 wrote:
No, I'm glad I'm born, I'm glad to live and I've never thought of killing myself. Why should I kill myself because of the difficulties I go through in life? There are people who are worse than me, and never think about killing themselves. I prefear to be optimistic about my life.

These are things I would prefer to think, but it doesn't do much to stop the depression. I can't just make it go away because I am sometimes I am glad that I was born and glad to be alive. What I mean is that someone who does think about suicide isn't doing so because of some failure to have the right attitude or whatever, but because they're mentally ill.

Also, I want to be clear that I am not trying to justify suicidal thinking. I much prefer to do the opposite. However, I also want it to be understood as something other than how one chooses to look at the world or how one chooses to think.

StanleyTweedle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2012, 8:24 am

Verdandi wrote:
These are things I would prefer to think, but it doesn't do much to stop the depression. I can't just make it go away because I am sometimes I am glad that I was born and glad to be alive. What I mean is that someone who does think about suicide isn't doing so because of some failure to have the right attitude or whatever, but because they're mentally ill.

Also, I want to be clear that I am not trying to justify suicidal thinking. I much prefer to do the opposite. However, I also want it to be understood as something other than how one chooses to look at the world or how one chooses to think.

I tend to think of myself as having brief lapses of contentment and peace in an otherwise depressed state. I prefer to think happy thoughts too, and I do, but it doesn't change how I feel one jot or tittle.

Personally, I don't understand-and am finding it increasingly difficult to tolerate-people who say, "Just snap out of it." Or, "Think happy thoughts and your feeling will follow." and "Don't be so negative." and especially, "You feel that way because you choose to." Especially when it's coming from people who once suffered from depression and have overcome theirs somehow. I think people like that just say those things because when you display your depression in some form, it tells them all isn't wholly right with the world when people suffer from such a debilitating illness. It's not so much that they care how you feel as it is that they just don't want to think about it or see it, so they try to make it go away.

StanleyTweedle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2012, 8:32 am

Personally, I believe people should have the right to choose when they die. They don't get to choose when to be born or even if they're born in the first place. Most of the time human beings seem to muddle through life with very little control over their environment, especially if they're poor. People should have the right to be in control of when they die, barring an accident or terminal illness. Depression can be a terminal illness. It just takes years of suffering before they either commit suicide, have a remission, or die miserable but glad to finally be dying.

Life isn't for everybody. I wish the US would have programs like they do in Switzerland, where persons who are chronically depressed can choose a death with dignity, but apparently life is so valuable here that the miserable are forced to stay alive and yet be misunderstood and disrespected by the rest of our normal society.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Dec 2012, 10:18 am

I did for a time, when two of my best friends abandoned me just a few days apart. I didn't want to kill myself, but I wished that the world would end. Now, I'm happy to be alive. One of those friends is talking to me again, and the other I don't miss anymore because of how she treated me.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 10:39 am

I've had a pretty rough past, socially and emotionally. I'm still happy to be alive, even though I've had an upbringing that was rough in that way. I'm also the type to celebrate autism. I also know that it seems strange to the majority of the people in this thread, when I post stuff of this nature. There might be another member who have experienced the things that I have who wishes that their mother aborted them.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Dec 2012, 11:19 am

I definitely wish I was never born, I'm just not capable of putting in as much as I get out of most relationships so I think the world would be a better place without me. I'm also a drain on natural resources such as food.

I occasionally consider suicide, but my fear of death overrules it.

StanleyTweedle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2012, 2:12 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I definitely wish I was never born, I'm just not capable of putting in as much as I get out of most relationships so I think the world would be a better place without me. I'm also a drain on natural resources such as food.

I occasionally consider suicide, but my fear of death overrules it.

I hear you about the fear of death overruling your suicidal ideations. For me, though, it's not so much fear of death as much as it is fear of botching the attempt and ending up a vegetable or committed to an institution and worse off than I already am.

I just hope that death is the end. Screw the afterlife. Give me an eternity of unconsciousness.

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2012, 2:52 pm

There's nothing worse than non-existence, so no I don't want to loose consiousness and leave this world full of pleasures and opportunities. Suicidal thoughts are nothing more than feeling of despair.

StanleyTweedle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Dec 2012, 5:01 pm

Dizzee wrote:
There's nothing worse than non-existence, so no I don't want to loose consiousness and leave this world full of pleasures and opportunities. Suicidal thoughts are nothing more than feeling of despair.

Technically speaking, how can you know there's nothing worse than non-existence?

Dizzee
Toucan
Toucan

30 Dec 2012, 5:11 pm

StanleyTweedle wrote:
Dizzee wrote:

Technically speaking, how can you know there's nothing worse than non-existence?

From Atheist's point of view it makes sense. Actually no one knows what happens after death but still I don't want to loose consciousness because well It's either you live or die.

Dirtdigger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2012, 5:20 pm

No, but my mother told me that if she had her way she wouldn't had us twins.