12-13 years 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
14-15 years 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
16+ years 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 106

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2010, 4:01 pm

I had a couple of good years between the ages of six and eight that weren't too bad. When my mother and father were together things were great and we had a lot of respect because he was in the military and overseas in a war. It was after a divorce, when my mother bought the house next to this dysfunctional family of creeps that the bullying got really bad. Sometimes all it takes is one kid to get others who don't normally bully to jump on the bandwagon. From the age of eight onward bullying was nearly constant. I became scared of my own shadow.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

26 Nov 2010, 2:54 am

The worst bullying began in high school, but in Jr high, I was ignored mostly except by the occasional bully. There was one in particular that would ask me "questions" in front of other students alot of these questions were really insults wrapped in a question. Girls usually bully verbally while guys usually do so physically.
But in elementary school, I was bullied some, but most of the time I was too busy chasing people on all fours barking at them.
In daycare, I had weird friends. One friend liked to ground me when he disagreed with me...of course I had no idea what that meant but I knew it was not good so I cried, then there was this other girl who drew me a pretty picture and I was so delighted, but then she took a purple marker and scribbled all over it and said that was me. I then cried.
But I showed them all, when I was in daycare, I got chicken pox, but I only had one bump and mom thought I had a hive or something. Two weeks later, I went to daycare and no one was there. I asked where is everyone? The staff lady said they are at home, you gave them chicken pox. Be my luck they will all track me down and sue me for giving them shingles.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2010, 8:49 pm

theexternvoid wrote:
Asperger's is not noticed in early years. The reason why is human social interactions begin primitive and become more complex as we age, and it is this increasing complexity that makes the Asperger's more and more noticeable.

Many (most?) aspies are bullied as kids. I'm assuming that this usually doesn't happen right away in kindergarden because social interactions are not complex enough for the aspie to stick out. I'm curious to know: At what age did the bullying begin for you?

For me (who is uncertain of being an aspie), it was age 9.

The first I remember is age 3 or 4, but prior to that I might just not have noticed. (Even at that age I lacked the ability to understand fully what was happening until I was older.) It was pretty instant, when I went to preschool. Just, any time I got around other kids, they picked on me. Not that I fully noticed what they were, or what they were doing. I just like... if I'd climb onto a play structure, a bunch of kids would shove me off it, the one girl who was nice to me eventually someone marched her up to me and told her to tell me she didn't like me (which she did), etc., if I drifted into one of the lines formed on the playground to play different games I'd be flatly refused when nobody else was, lots of things like that, it was like anywhere I went they'd shut me out even though I wasn't exactly trying to approach them or aware of the meaning of the words they used until later.

Apparently around the same age in preschool if any kid came up to me I'd shriek until they went away. I don't remember but my mother remembers being called in for that. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 14 (and wasn't diagnosed with AS, but orally autism/"idiot savant" and on paper PDD-NOS/"idiot savant qualities"/developmental disorder NOS/CNS disorder NOS, later changed to just autism/CNS disorder NOS. Mind you have no clue what my savant skill was supposed to be.) Of course when I was in preschool autism had barely entered the DSM so nobody much had heard of it yet, I think today I'd have been picked up before preschool due to language issues and unusual sensory processing and related behavior.

marcvs9955
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2010, 12:05 am

I endured pretty bad bullying from 4th grade (when I was 10) until about 7th grade (13), though it was not as much of an issue in 7th because it was a different school I was in from 3-6. It was the same guy who made things particularly hellish but I hadn't been bothered by him for most of the year. Nowadays I don't have much issues, though I do get a fairly steady but relatively minor stream of stupid remarks. :p