Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 9:07 am

Interesting show I DLed recently. You can find it on eztv.it

Anyway, part of this program profiled two men who are sustaining relationships with "synthetic humans" (ie. real dolls). Actually these men were also on another program called "Guys and Dolls." On account of their troubles interacting with "organic humans," National Geographic had the two guys take the RDOS Aspie Quiz to see if they had Asperger's or not.

I won't tell you the outcome.

Check it though. Good program, and not just for that bit.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:03 pm

Kiseki wrote:

Anyway, part of this program profiled two men who are sustaining relationships with "synthetic humans" (ie. real dolls). Actually these men were also on another program called "Guys and Dolls." On account of their troubles interacting with "organic humans," National Geographic had the two guys take the RDOS Aspie Quiz to see if they had Asperger's or not.

Love dolls are the creepiest thing ever the only thing more creepy are the men who use them. 8O :roll:

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:17 pm

Yeah, they look pretty creepy but I actually empathize with those men. They are more sad than pervy. I could picture myself buying a doll for companionship. I shouldn't say that out loud.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 12:51 pm

Have you seen the movie "Lars and the Real Girl"? It's about a guy -- he seems kind of Aspie but he's never called that in the movie -- who can't connect with people so he orders a Real Doll and then treats her like a girlfriend. A fiancée, actually. The whole subject is treated with remarkable insight and sensitivity and what's really interesting is that the whole town starts treating his doll as if she's real and it helps Lars to connect with others. I highly recommend it, especially if you're interested in the topic of someone being so lonely they buy a Real Doll to have someone to relate to.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 4:10 pm

I always related more to my stuffed animals and as a kid my parents used to think I was delusional because I would often say I didn't need friends because I had my stuffed animals. I meant it. I did not want to make friends and wondered what all the hubabalo about having them was. The Invader Zim eppisode, "Bestest Friend" hits home with me. I find animals make better friends than humans. Pippin, my bearded dragon, and Bubba (I didn't name him), my cat, are my best friends. The idea of an innimate relationship creeps me out.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:45 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
Have you seen the movie "Lars and the Real Girl"? It's about a guy -- he seems kind of Aspie but he's never called that in the movie -- who can't connect with people so he orders a Real Doll and then treats her like a girlfriend. A fiancée, actually. The whole subject is treated with remarkable insight and sensitivity and what's really interesting is that the whole town starts treating his doll as if she's real and it helps Lars to connect with others. I highly recommend it, especially if you're interested in the topic of someone being so lonely they buy a Real Doll to have someone to relate to.

Yes, loved that movie! It was really moving.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 8:46 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I always related more to my stuffed animals and as a kid my parents used to think I was delusional because I would often say I didn't need friends because I had my stuffed animals. I meant it. I did not want to make friends and wondered what all the hubabalo about having them was. The Invader Zim eppisode, "Bestest Friend" hits home with me. I find animals make better friends than humans. Pippin, my bearded dragon, and Bubba (I didn't name him), my cat, are my best friends. The idea of an innimate relationship creeps me out.

Same here. I think that's why I keep falling for people who are already taken. It's a subconscious defense mechanism. I never understood it before I came to this site.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 9:17 pm

Kiseki wrote:

Can you tell us the results anyway?

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2010, 9:22 pm

buryuntime wrote:
Kiseki wrote:

Can you tell us the results anyway?

There weren't any! They said the test was just a starting point basically, but one of the guys suspected he had AS for a while.