Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

eipsa
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2006, 5:02 am

Quote:
Do you remember what everything looked like or just the feelings? it may not be so clear because newborn eyes can see blurry images.

Just the whiteness everywhere (probably bright lights comming through the eyelids which were probably closed) and feelings of happyness.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2006, 5:03 pm

Earliest memory is probably four or five. No.

AV-geek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2006, 7:01 pm

I have always been curious about when the human brain comes "online" and starts becoming coherent of the things around. For instance, when does the brain start receiving sensory input from the nerves, and receiving infomation from eyes, skin, etc. This is a very interesting thing that should be studied, but is exteremley challenging, since most people don't remember when they actually did start percieving the enviornment around them!

I have suprisingly vivid memories of things in my childhood, and the amazing thing is when I encounter something totally benign to that refreshes that memory. For example, my parents had me up at the rescue squad they were in when I was just an infant. One day, I was in an old county office building that had an old phone system similar to what the rescue squad had during that time. When their hotline buzzer went off, I was able to vividly flashback to the day President Nixon resigned on August 8th...which was barely 2 weeks after I was born on july 27th!

Although I don't remember my birth, I do remember staying in the hospital right at birth. The hospital was brightly lit, and had those "dental tooth" strip lamps overhead that were rather common in the seventies. I also remember laying in the curved clear glass beds. My Mom thought I was crazy till she went to see a friend that had a child when I was a teenager. When she visited the nursery, she was quite suprised to see some of the rather insignificant things I had described in vivid detail in the nursery....things she had not payed attention to on previous visits till I had said something. What makes it all the most suprising is the fact that I had never been in that birthing nursery since I was born until I was at least 24 years old or so.

One of the memories I do have is that of being circumcised too. They say that we don't remember that young, but I do. I remember the intense pain of having it done. I remember a plastic object attached to my bits for an extended period that produced extreme pressure and pain. Later, as an adult, when I saw some information about circumcision, I saw a picture of the plastibell device used for circumcision. Instantly, I was literally feeling the intense pain that had accompanied my circumcision as an infant. Oviously, this was what was used. Out of this experience, I'll never have this brutal, needless thing done to my kids!

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2006, 6:32 pm

i have forgotten most of my own past i just remmember little bits and pieces mostly all the bad things like my brother falling down a steep hill in our backyard, getting lost at school and no one coming to get me, my kindergarden teacher she was evil, enough said, leaving arizona, my cats dieing, getting dignosed with AS, the first few days at school and that's any school my last school was the hardest because i was afraid to make friends thinking we would move again and i would lose them again so i hid under the desks at break to avoid everyone, but nothing about my birth or anything good for that matter

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2006, 7:06 pm

I don't remember my birth at all, the earliest my memory goes back to is when I was 4. Most of my childhood memories were from when I was in elementary school probably due to the constant bullying that went on.

Spriteling
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jun 2006, 9:00 pm

No. My first memories are from when I was three. However, I've only got one or two of those memories. Then, I don't remember anything until age six.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 6:18 pm

Don't remember birth, but have a memory from first week after birth. My two cousins were sitting in a rocking chair with me on their laps and I was afraid I was going to fall. Have vague assortment of memories from infancy like when I had a head injury at 9 months old. I remember what I was doing that caused it; I remember the pain and the taste of blood coming out of my mouth. Not very pleasant so that's probably why I remember it.

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2006, 6:23 pm

No, but that's really cool! My first memory is a really vague one from when I was 2.

31 Aug 2006, 6:24 pm

I don't remember my own birth but I might have remembered when I was in my mother's tummy. I remember when I was about three I remember having this memory of where I used to live before I came out in the real world. I lived somewhere where it was just me only and I only heard sounds but I don’t remember what they were. They might have been my mother’s heart and her voice. And everything around me was green. That might have been my memory of me being in my mother’s tummy.

VesicaPisces
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Aug 2006, 7:17 pm

I think I remember before I was born. I have difficulty believing it myself. It is my earliest memory and I can not attribute it to dreaming or any kind of subconcious creative action, though I will accept the possibility. The memory basicly consist of a sort of panorama of neon like colors. Extremely bright and vivid. In this pallete of colors there is a circle that I am slowly approaching. I see the impression of the circle because it is contrasted with the foreground. I would say it was spherical but there was no depth tone or shade for lack of more descriptive terms at this moment.

Hazard
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Sep 2006, 4:40 am

That's cool, I've never heard of people remembering their own births before now :) My memory isn't brilliant, my earliest memory was when I was 3, just before we were moving house. I remember asking for some orange juice, but there was only water left because the drinks had been packed :P

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 10:55 am

Hazard wrote:
That's cool, I've never heard of people remembering their own births before now :) My memory isn't brilliant, my earliest memory was when I was 3, just before we were moving house. I remember asking for some orange juice, but there was only water left because the drinks had been packed :P

It's funny how things like that can damage us for life. How dare they deprive you of orange juice.

marcus-As
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Sep 2006, 1:24 pm

I do not recall my birth. I do recall many things in my first year and many more for subsiquent years.

I have recalled many things to my (now aged) parents that have been confirmed, some of the most obtuse and intricate memorys have been laid open for me and I revel in them.

I can remember the feeling of the terry towel nappies and that I didnt like thm against my skin much and that they also made the insides of my legs raw.

I remember the taste of the apple puree baby food in particular and that taste/smell stimulation may make me recall a myriad of memories (getting some now just typing this).

I think that my hypersences as a child provided many memory links and pegs that I have later found out how to retrive.
The more you play with your memory the better it gets!

Marcus.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 1:32 pm

VesicaPisces wrote:
I think I remember before I was born. I have difficulty believing it myself. It is my earliest memory and I can not attribute it to dreaming or any kind of subconcious creative action, though I will accept the possibility. The memory basicly consist of a sort of panorama of neon like colors. Extremely bright and vivid. In this pallete of colors there is a circle that I am slowly approaching. I see the impression of the circle because it is contrasted with the foreground. I would say it was spherical but there was no depth tone or shade for lack of more descriptive terms at this moment.
how cool! :D

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 3:16 pm

No I can't remember my own birth, but I can remember snippets when I was 2. I would just like to share with you my past when I was 2.

When I was younger I had more snippets of when I was 2, but as I got older these memories grow fainter and fainter. Here are 2 memories of mine that I can still remember when I was 2:

First Memory

My mum told me about this memory as backup to saying that it was true. It was when I was 2 they wanted a blood test of of me (after before reasons which I can't be bothered to go into as that would make this post too long), and I screamed and tried to get out of the nurses' grip, with unusual strength I launched a nurse across the room. They pinned me down and heavily sedated me, yet I was still conscious and aware of the space around me. That's all I remember of that one. I also recall certain moments after the heavy sedation where I heavily stumble at home and collapse on the floor.

Second Memory

I have very very faint images of when I stare and watch my videos like Tugs and Trumpton, Chigley And Wendy Miller (I used to be facinated in the windmill spinning round & round lol.) at 2 o clock in the morning. I was less self - aware when I was younger, and what my mum said I was very simplistic.

Sorry if that was a bit tooo long.

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2006, 5:12 pm

I remember when I was 1 and we were moving to another state.