Do you feel like you're not even a part of your own family?

Page 5 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Joemangel
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2016, 4:54 pm

I am in similar situation.

Ever since leaving home for university and returning I have felt like the black sheep of the family. I come from a family of twin sisters and my parents, they are still together but are not in love. My sisters are treated like princesses and there seems to be a love and connection that I don't have. Both sister have partners, one of them is treated more like a brother and a son than myself, he is always talked about, and my parents feel sorry for him with house diy, gardening work etc.

He is very talkative. It feels like none of the family like me they put up with me as I am family. When I go into rooms they are talking it goes quiet or if I say something in the conversation it is either demissed, ignored and made to feel my comment is irrelevant.

Everyone seems happier when I am either not there, a tension is there or when I sit in the corner out of view and not saying anything. I don't know why my family resents me so much. I love them and I would do anything for them. I have the same problem with friends they just put up with me or when I would be useful it's seems they would like to see.

I still live at home and have done since I was born I am 33 now, same job for the last 8 years I don't have any social life. I went through my first love breakup - very attractive, kind Portuguese girl, 37, with a child of 12, made me feel like a king and I throw it all away because I couldnt move abroad. I feel like a broken man for the last months after the breakup and I can't move on which hasn't helped at all. I've never had someone like me before, I've never been on a date, never had a relationship, I'm still a virgin and I was so close to leaving my home and moving abroad after meeting this Person for 2 days, she felt like my soul mate.

Last week at a festival someone came up to me and said your a munter. I have had my grandad call me ugly and also a girl said if your the last man in the club I will go with you.

It seems I lack looks personalty, charisma, social skills, a regect and have a negative energy people seem to hate.

Could someone offer me advice.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

07 Aug 2016, 4:55 pm

My parents and sibling are family, beyond that the extended family from my mother's side have pretty much split now that grandma has died and I never had much to do with my father's side.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 6:01 pm

Update:

I feel like I'm even less of a part of my family than I did 5 years ago when I've made my first post in this thread. I fell out of love with London and Britain just this January. My mum has also been very un-supportive of my changes and unaccepting of my true interests and preferences. She won't let me bring anything to do with Germany or Sgt. Schultz when I spend the night at my parents place and she doesn't accept me as I am. She's unwilling to accept me and I'm unwilling to make myself miserable at the expense of her happiness by denying myself my favourite things. There is absolutely no connection between my mum and I anymore and that makes me feel that I'm not a part of my family anymore. The last time I saw her was on Father's Day.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 6:09 pm

I'm an only child, so my mom and dad are watching me all the time. Whenever my uncle across the street has some party or celebration, I'm always the one who can't carry a conversation or be part of anything. Everyone else seems to talk all the time and crack jokes that aren't even funny, yet everyone laughs, and I just sit there not knowing what to do, and I get bored. The only time I actually feel connected is when I play video games with my younger cousins and we enjoy playing them together.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 7:09 pm

I have the acceptance, the amount of respect, and the inclusion.

But I feel like I couldn't get attached to any of them. Not even with my own sister. I only had been attached to my mom and her alone so far. :|
Almost all of them, even my closest bonding relative, feels like they're more of a non-stranger and never beyond alike acquaintance. I can and would love them, but I can't get attached to them.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 9:16 pm

I, for the most part, no longer have any connections with my brothers or anyone on either side of the family, especially since mom died 5 years ago.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 6:55 pm

Some of us have "attachment" issues, above and beyond ASD.

Due to a disruption(s) in the process of 'bonding' with our caregiver(s), some of us are unable to form healthy "attachments" and remain feeling disconnected with friends and/or family.

Google "attachment styles" to learn more.

http://www.psychalive.org/what-is-your-attachment-style/

The effect of this is HUGE for quite a few ppl.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 7:08 pm

Yes. I almost feel like they don't even want me to be a part of their lives any more. Especially since my mother and father are the only people who still talk to me or do anything with me once a week. My brother, I can't even remember the last time I even heard from him. Easter, maybe? My parents have been gone on their for over a week now and I've had no one to talk to or go out with. Everyone else has a life but me. I don't normally feel this alone and lonely when my parents are away, which is usually in the winter, but this week I've felt like the last living cell in a dead body. :skull:

My social worker hasn't even been over in the past three weeks because her father had just died. I'm very sorry for her loss, but I don't even know she got the message I left saying so. :(

Stormsong
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2017, 10:01 am

My family ignored me as a child. It's as if they only had enough love for one child and (having an apparent preference for boys) gave it all to my little brother. I tried for years to win their affection, but I finally gave up when they showed an obvious preference for my brother's children over mine.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2017, 2:47 pm

I have a wary long-distant relationship with my familly. My father is best described as an "awkward sod," though he's mellowed a bit lately. Me, my mother and my sister are all emotionally undemonstrative, and tend to keep our thoughts to ourselves. We now live in three different countries. I talk to my parents every couple of months and visit about two years out of every three- I feel like I need a holiday afterwards. I talk to my sister about twice a year, and haven't actually seen her in over 5 years. Sometimes it feels like they're even harder to talk to than complete strangers are, because we've got this long history of non-communication.

TheMikeFrom1980
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Mar 2020, 4:07 pm

Amik wrote:
I feel like I don't really have a family and like I'm not really a part of my own family. I feel like a complete outsider in my family. I neither fit in with them nor do they treat me like a part of the family.

My family (as in parents and siblings) don't talk to me much or spend time with me or tell me about anything that's going on in their lives or in the family. On the rare occasion that they talk to me it seems to be more like them just checking if I'm still alive or them being polite rather than showing actual interest in me or my life or caring.

If I visit them or meet them somewhere and there is some other person there (be it another family member, a distant relative, their friend or a mere acquaintance), I'm automatically ignored and excluded and they keep talking to each other and ignore me if I try to join the conversation.

I never know what's going on in the family because nobody ever tells me about it, even though I ask them if there is anything new. They always seem to assume that somebody else has told me about everything, but when I have no idea about something that has been happening they laugh at me for not being up to date and ask me what planet I've been on. How the heck am I supposed to know about news that nobody tells me about?

The rest of my family is really close with each other, but not with me. They are even a lot closer to various relatives than to me. It feels kind of weird to see them treat my cousins and second cousins more like a part of the family than they treat me, and them being closer to them than they've ever been to me.

My husband has noticed the same thing about me not really being treated like a part of the family and he's even more upset about it than I am, so it's not just my imagination. I tried for years to become more involved with the family, by showing interest in them, meeting them more often, trying to talk to them, asking what's new and so on, but it didn't change a thing, so I gave up trying.

Do any of you experience the same thing, like you're not considered or treated like a part of your own family?

I can relate to much of this and have similar experiences but I put it down to me being an ex-con and alcoholic more than anything else... but my mistakes are due to my not fitting in so it's a vicious circle... My aunt betrayed my trust 18 years ago and told the parents of my young cousins I was or am a danger to them because of my condition so I ended up going downhill over the next few years and in prison by the end of the 2000's as a result.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 3:32 am

My older sister and father are NT, but mother was the classic cold mother. My sister could tell that there was not enough parental support for two, so she kept it. From a very early age, my understanding was that my parents' job was to feed and clothe me, etc, and mine was to make them look normal and in control. Mother left when I was 15; dad kicked me out two years later, and mother didn't even know that until she was dying, and finally asked.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 10:04 am

I was loved by my family, but I'm not successful as they were. They had talents they could actually use. I don't possess talents that are exactly marketable skills. I have been gainfully employed, but can never use my talents to the highest degree possible.

AnnieAnn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2020, 3:44 pm

Amik wrote:
I feel like I don't really have a family and like I'm not really a part of my own family. I feel like a complete outsider in my family. I neither fit in with them nor do they treat me like a part of the family.

Same. I have felt like I wasn't part of my family since I was in 1st grade. Always. I know I'm not in their 'loop'. I try to act like I don't care but the truth is that it really hurts my feelings and makes me sad that I feel like such an outsider.

zenaspie

10 Apr 2020, 5:04 am

I’m not a part of my family either in my mind. They’re pretty manipulative and they’ve scapegoated me, so it’s not only that I just feel like an outsider, I get attacked pretty often even threatened to be beaten to death by my father and I’ve called police multiple times cause I don’t feel safe. I’m tryin to work and move out ASAP, I’m worried it’ll be hard due to Asperger’s but thank god for benefits, they’ll cover my rent expenses

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2020, 5:52 am

Yes. My family are pretty normal people and i don't feel any kinship with them. They treat me pretty good though this might be because i hide the fact that i am autistic as well as bisexual.