'People With Aspergers Don't Care About Being Bullied'

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Jan 2011, 6:56 pm

Nerdykid wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Yeah, I hate how adults are always blaming the victims. "You must have done something to provoke them" "You handled it poorly." "It takes two to tango." Etc.

I couldn't have changed myself if I wanted to, I had no idea why I was always targeted.

My parents always said if I was tougher and tried to relate that I wouldn't get picked on as much. Haha if they only understood how it feels to try to relate to people you have no understanding of at all.

:roll: Yep, that's about the same level of "support" I received. "Well why don't you just stand up to them?" was the usual thing.

Of course I cared about the bullying - the trouble is, no-one else did.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:10 pm

I remember my mother telling me as a child what not do to and I won't get bullied anymore. No hiding in the bushes, no running away from the teachers, no talking about this or that, no throwing scissors in class. Now I look back and see part of it was my fault I did get bullied but people online keep telling me it wasn't. Hello I did this stuff, how is it not my fault? I even feel I should have had better self control for my hyperactivity and to control my teasing better and care about people better. And that is what got me to change eventually and finally started to learn, plus I wanted to be liked and have tons of friends and be "normal." I watched nice people and looked at mean people and learned what not to do and I read books on skills. But back then I had no idea why I was being picked on so I always played the victim and had the "oh poor me" complex. :roll:
Now it's obvious as an adult why I got bullied.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IvyMike
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2011, 7:17 pm

It is kind of is hard to tell the difference b/t a bully and an as*hole.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:28 pm

Ignorance. Pure ignorance.

'Bout all I have to say.

Your workmates are idiots.

Also, the WORST possible place to learn ANYTHING about Autism is from anything produced in Hollywood.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:31 pm

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
After a while, I asked her if she dealt with any students with Asperger's [because one of her students sounded as if he had Asperger's], to which she answered yes, and she told me it was the one I had suspected [she also said that she couldn’t stand him and she sometimes wanted to wring his neck]. Well, then I told her that for a while now I've been suspecting that I myself may have Asperger's, to which she said, "Oh, you're fine. There's nothing wrong with you! Besides, people with Asperger's don't care about being bullied like you did!

She's an IDIOT! I consider myself to have AS, I was bullied in school, and I DID care! It was everyone ELSE that didn't!

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]They're off in their own little world all the time. If you really had Asperger’s, you wouldn’t care about it!"

Kind of hard for you to be in your world when people are hitting you, etc...

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]Thirdly, she's only known me for about two months, during which time we’ve spent perhaps a total of half-an-hour interacting with each other. How is that a proper assessment of who I am, how I act, what I do or do not have, etc.? Her interaction consists of three or four year old, whereas I am a 23 year-old. Putting me in some league with an adolescent is akin to comparing a flashlight to the sun.

YEAH. If only it WERE so easy!

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]Fourth, does her saying, "You're fine," suggest that Asperger's is a problem? It’s a difference, yes, but a problem?

Yeah, some people LIKE it. And who cares, if they find they generally get along at least as well.

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]She also mentioned that Asperger’s is mainly a boy/man related syndrome.

Not that that matters ANYWAY, but genes they have found that seem linked are NOT sex linked! And the idea of social interaction is a big part of females.

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]Needless to say, my respect for Workmate #2 has diminished greatly, as has my credence in her as a teacher of those with special needs.

I don't blame you. I usually QUOTE "teachers", because I have seen SO few teachers! I have had LOTS of "teachers" though.

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]Even if I don’t have Asperger’s, for her to categorize those who do as so cookie cutter and generalized is ignorant. If autism runs on a spectrum, then on each colour of the spectrum is a value of said colour. Aspergers 'falls' on a 'colour' so to speak, but there are values of this 'colour' that people fall on. This means that there are varying levels or degrees that people will fall under, thus meaning that not everyone is the same. Was it just me, or was her reasoning somewhat skewed?

Yeah, it is almost like those charts where they blend blue and yellow. You may see blue that isn't pur, but looks blue, etc...

ParadoxalParadigm wrote:
[size=12]As an aside, she said that if I wanted to really take a good look at what someone with Asperger’s was like, I should look at Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory. Well, after that conversation, I started to watch the show [which I'd never seen before]. For her information, watching that show only intensified my argument that I may have Asperger’s. Sheldon is my male counterpart in some alternate universe.

Well, sheldon IS the epitome of a stereotype that is along the lines of AS. STILL, I bet MANY here don't look like sheldon, move like sheldon, etc... I know I don't. But as far as social problems, talking about interests, and a few other things, we ARE alike.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:33 pm

What a strange thing for the teacher to say! I can relate to people not being able to stand me but I definitely wasn't happy with being bullied. I could have handled them not being able to stand me, but I didn't want to be hit, kicked or thrown on the ground and sat on. I also hated being picked on. Maybe the teacher rationalizes that it's okay to bully kids with AS because it won't matter to them, according to her.

chewingkebabs
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2011, 7:33 pm

Aside from being wrong about Aspies caring about being bullied (we DO, and it HURTS), there's the simple fact that bullying is wrong. I might have read wrong, but is your workmate a teacher? Terrifying that this person is in charge of kids and doesn't think bullying is a problem that needs to be solved.

ParadoxalParadigm
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2011, 7:45 pm

chewingkebabs wrote:
Aside from being wrong about Aspies caring about being bullied (we DO, and it HURTS), there's the simple fact that bullying is wrong. I might have read wrong, but is your workmate a teacher? Terrifying that this person is in charge of kids and doesn't think bullying is a problem that needs to be solved.

Yes, she teaches/works at a preschool. I work at an Arts and Crafts type of store, and she works there part-time. I think that for her to have said that as a teacher shows how little she knows about her own students. I don't think she takes the time to ask her students how they feel or why they've said or done certain things. For her to even say that she couldn't stand a four year-old student with Asperger's because he'll point at another student and tell them how stupid they are and how smart he is, and that she finds that a little obnoxious is a off-putting. She said that I'm basically too 'adorable' to be like that. Hi, once again: I'm twenty-three. He's four. There's no comparison there.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 7:54 pm

I've heard teachers talk badly about students before. Teachers can have what's known as burnout, where they are fed up with the rigors of their job and view it from a cynic's point of view. I guess it shouldn't be too surprising that would come from a teacher. I have been stereotyped and misunderstood by elementary school teachers myself.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 8:41 pm

Mindslave wrote:
I cared, I just wasn't always able to tell the difference between bullies and plain as*holes. I still can't tell the difference.
There isn't one.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 8:55 pm

I would have killed myself if my parents didn't take me out of public school. The bullying was that bad. I have PTSD from the bullying I received from one teacher alone.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:22 pm

My reaction to bullying was a complete lack of reaction. I can see how it might have looked like I didn't care. But I certainly did! It's ridiculous to think any kid would not care about being bullied.

MarkMartino
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jan 2011, 9:36 pm

When I think back, bullying in school bothered me, but most often because it puzzled me. I just couldn't grasp why it was happening, or how to consider responding. Occasionally, I wouldn't realize it until later. Sometimes I was felt incredibly dense for a child who was theoretically intelligent...not true anymore, I've learned how to recognize it, although I know I still don't react normally sometimes.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 9:37 pm

IvyMike wrote:

Aren't bullies as*holes?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

Zen wrote:
My reaction to bullying was a complete lack of reaction. I can see how it might have looked like I didn't care. But I certainly did! It's ridiculous to think any kid would not care about being bullied.

That was somewhat my reaction too but rest assured it really does come back to traumatize you, as it would anyone.

hello07
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jan 2011, 10:00 pm

League_Girl wrote:
IvyMike wrote:

Aren't bullies as*holes?

+1