Who here lives completely off their parents?

Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 2:43 pm

I'm a student so right now Im living completely off of student loans (fun fun fun) and spending money I get from parents (which is about enough to get fast food once a week and catch a game/movie every now and then.) Im thinking about moving back home and transfering though but I dont know.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

newchum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 5:58 pm

danlo wrote:
For all you Australians living at home, I'm just curious. Do your parents get a carers allowance for looking after you? My father does. Though, its only some $92 a fortnight for him, it helps.

My dad gets a carer's pension and allowance for looking after me.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2005, 6:49 pm

I do not live off my parents. Having said that, I am 40 years old, so even if my parents were still alive, it is unlikely that I would be doing so.

I understand that there are those in their 20's, 30's and 40's whos parents are still alive, but when I mentioned that, I was reminded of the 'chip on my shoulder' in relating this fact.

I do know somebody who is 33 and still comfortably ensconced in his Family Home. Still, at least he has made good use of his comparative privilege. He now has a Master's Degree (I could not afford to progress beyond a BA), also he has ample time to pursue his own personal interests and most importantly, he is in a position to tell the truly disadvantaged in life exactly what they 'should' be thinking, according to a 'hand me down' pseudo-moral philosophy (as espoused overwhelmingly by a self-appointed middle-class 'intelligentsia') that calls itself Marxism.

If only they knew how the 'other half' live...

Last edited by adversarial on 25 Sep 2005, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhoenixKitten
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 7:45 am

Mum gets a carer's thingymado. I get Youth Allowance and will hopefully get a Disability Pension. I give mum $50 a week to cover the cost of 'stuff'...

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 8:02 am

I was supported by my mom until I was about 34, or 35 when the person that is now my companion took over until I got on disability.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

berta
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Sep 2005, 8:10 am

I have moved out a few times, but I always end up at home again... My parents do lots of stuff for me, such as arranging meetings with counselors, driving me places (if I wont take the bus) and they give me money, and lend me money as well. Right now I am in debt. Its about 50.000 I think but its money owe to different schools and stuff...:(

DeepThought
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 8:21 am

I was kicked out of the house when I was 18 and haven't lived with my mom since then, which actually made me more expensive to support because she had to pay my rent for me (except for when I was homeless) for about 16 years.

Actually, she technically didn't HAVE to pay for anything I needed, but she chose to.

I'm the Rhymin' Red Rover, and that's where I'll be.

TheBladeRoden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2005, 1:13 pm

Well, me getting fired from two jobs in a month and my parents still getting coin in their pocket, well you know :oops:

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 8:18 am

It should be the responsibility of the STATE to support you if you cannot work, not your parents (except of course the costs saved by living at home). If you are living in the UK and have an OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS of AS, claim for Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance. The government has an obligation and it is up to you to claim. All other West European countries have good welfare systems as well. The US and Australia do have one, but they are not as good, especially since Bush's cuts.

adversarial
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 9:22 am

RobertN wrote:
It should be the responsibility of the STATE to support you if you cannot work, not your parents (except of course the costs saved by living at home).

Why? Shouldn't parents be financially responsible for their own offspring?

RobertN wrote:
If you are living in the UK and have an OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS of AS, claim for Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance.

I would have thought that depends on the degree to which somebody's AS/ASD affects them. If they can function sub-optimally as revolving-door/seasonal low-status/skill employees in between periods of unemployment, then they might just be left to get on with it.
RobertN wrote:
The government has an obligation and it is up to you to claim. All other West European countries have good welfare systems as well.

Yes, for Adult children that is very much the case.

I thought that Eastern European Countries had access to favourable welfare systems too, or am I mistaken?

RobertN
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 12:54 pm

Quote:

To an extent, yes, if they are rich enough. But there comes a time in their fifties or sixties when parents grow old and frail and cannot support themselves let alone their children as well, therefore state support is much more consistant and the better option.

Quote:
If they can function sub-optimally as revolving-door/seasonal low-status/skill employees in between periods of unemployment, then they might just be left to get on with it.

I don't see why people with AS should be confined to wage-slave type jobs just because they have a disability.

Quote:
I thought that Eastern European Countries had access to favourable welfare systems too, or am I mistaken?

As far as I am aware, Eastern Europe is much like Africa in that it is very poor and very corrupt. It is highly unlikely that a welfare system would exist there.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 3:49 pm

adversarial wrote:
Yes, for Adult children that is very much the case.

An adult child is someone who comes on the internet, constantly whining about the whole world being against him and making up rules to keep him from a good career, social life etc and not accepting the fact that he is just an annoying, untalented person that nobody wants to be around and isnt good enough to do a well waged job imo.

Last edited by eamonn on 24 Sep 2005, 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 4:40 pm

adversarial wrote:
RobertN wrote:
It should be the responsibility of the STATE to support you if you cannot work, not your parents (except of course the costs saved by living at home).

You could say parents have a moral obligation to support their mentally or physically disabled children financially. In the United States at least, parents do not have a legal obligation to support their children financially after their children reach the age of majority. For college tuition, the law sometimes extends the age to 23 years of age.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 4:48 pm

RobertN wrote:
It should be the responsibility of the STATE to support you if you cannot work, not your parents (except of course the costs saved by living at home). If you are living in the UK and have an OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS of AS, claim for Incapacity Benefit and Disability Living Allowance. The government has an obligation and it is up to you to claim. All other West European countries have good welfare systems as well. The US and Australia do have one, but they are not as good, especially since Bush's cuts.

Nah, IMO it should be job rehab and helping you to find and keep a job so that you can be self-sufficient. I've heard that there are now job agencies for aspies out in the UK which are there to help aspie professionals or otherwise to find jobs that meet their work capacity and to where they can get accomodation as needed. As for being leeches of the system though, f' that. I can understand in the cases where someone's social issues are so intense that they just about get arrested any time they leave the house but in cases where people can hold a job if they could only find a workforce that didn't discredit em for not seeming professional or competant enough superficially (which I think accounts for more of us) then it should really just be what I mentioned.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 4:51 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
adversarial wrote:
RobertN wrote:

You could say parents have a moral obligation to support their mentally or physically disabled children financially. In the United States at least, parents do not have a legal obligation to support their children financially after their children reach the age of majority. For college tuition, the law sometimes extends the age to 23 years of age.

Lol, that's a double-edged sword though too. Parents can keep claiming their kids on their taxes (unless their married filing jointly) if their still in school under 24, aren't obligated to pay them a dime, and when people that I've known in that situation fill out a FAFSA they're pretty much screwed. I kinda wish there was some tax loophole for situations like that.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2005, 4:51 pm

I have had two jobs before: Two summers ago (June 2004 to August 2004), I worked as a "merchandise and customer assistance associate" at Sears and was paid $6.55 per hour for that thankless job. Before that, in June of 2002 (if I am not mistaken), I worked at the grill of a Jack in a Box, making $6.50 per hour. I couldn't stand the heat and pace at that fast-food restaurant, so I quit after five weeks. I have been trying to get a job where I can actually make enough money to buy a my own car, pay my tuition, and basically become financially indendent with no success so far.

My current living situation is in one of my university's residence halls; it is cramped and offers no privacy at all. On breaks I live at home with my mom, stepfather, brother (also in college), and sister (will be in college next fall). My mom and dad pay for a good part of my tuition and board right now, but I would like to change that if I can find a job I can tolerate. I am going to try harder to find a Web or software development internship or Web design position so that I have a good source of income over my winter break in January. I'd like to have steady income. I have tried launching a freelance Web design and development business, hoping to start small, but have not gotten any clients yet. I am going to talk to a couple of my professors about updating their course websites, though. I'd like to make some money that way.