How to voluntarily commit oneself to a psychiatric hospital?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 5:48 am

WilliamKus wrote:
You are looking for a health spa or vacation. Go to a buddhist temple or some other safe and tranquil place you can get away from people and society.

Go find some other way to get away.

There are several monasteries in New Mexico that would be ideal. They generally allow visitors to come and stay for a while, but it costs something like $75 or $100 a day. Also, you are expected to be there for religious reasons. And silence is expected.

Here's one that I find interesting: http://christdesert.org/.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 6:29 am

Quote:
Tried that. It doesn't work.

Thanks Jellybean, I was not making fun. A series issue. Yes I agree on your point about the hospitals, not recognising Aspergers. Fact I think most psychiatrists couldn't diagnose an orange and are in many cases the ones that are ill. Will report back if any pink elephants are seen. Byeee!

plateshutoverlock
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2018, 7:22 pm

Callista wrote:
In many places they will not allow you to stay in your room; you have to be out and with people all the time. If you stay in your room, they may assume you are isolating yourself and keep you hospitalized until you can force yourself to stay with everybody else all day every day for several days

Ewwww. I would rather be kept locked in my room with a key if I were in there. I don't see how forcing someone to interact with other people with severe mental illness is supposed to help.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2018, 11:21 pm

i only know how to based on suicidal reasons in a hospital psych ward.

1. go to the emergency room

2. tell them you are suicidal and need someone to talk to, tell them you dont feel safe being alone and just want help

3. answer their questions

4. wait.

5. be in psychiatric ward.

ps. im canadian

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 7:06 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
i only know how to based on suicidal reasons in a hospital psych ward.

1. go to the emergency room

2. tell them you are suicidal and need someone to talk to, tell them you dont feel safe being alone and just want help

3. answer their questions

4. wait.

5. be in psychiatric ward.

ps. im canadian
It was the same experience for me and I'm Australian. Last time I went was also due to a lot of self harming. And I waited only for about 20 minutes.

I spent 3 weeks and 2 days in there. I haven't self harmed since and that was in 2013.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 7:07 am

I'm in one involuntarily. What fun.

Anarximis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Mar 2018, 11:06 pm

I have thought about going voluntarily but I don't know if its worth it

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 1:28 am

probably better than being on the streets, a few lesser evils against 1 big one

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 2:21 pm

Some jobs might refuse to hire (or "discriminate") against applicants that have gotten 5150ed

Military, police, firefighter

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 3:34 pm

One day, a schizophrenic woman I knew, who had been a psychiatric inmate several times, asked me if I'd go with her to the hospital. Only when we got there did she tell me that she was planning to check in. She had no luggage. We'd been having a pretty normal conversation, but when we got to admitting, she let loose with all her recent frustration. Before long, she was strapped to a stretcher, and I was recruited to "keep her calm" for a while until they found her a bed, etc. YMMV.

dumbleduck
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2019, 3:54 pm

During my one stay I did voluntarily commit myself, but I had little choice at the time being completely out my own mind. Then the hospital were I was committed I was told I could leave at anytime I wanted and I could. However I didn't really want to leave at first.

Normally whenever you first get in such a place they place you in an evaluation room or rather wing where you are housed with other fresh Nut's, Crazy people, and the like. And you usually are stuck there in a single room where you are not allowed to keep the door shut and are under constant surveillance along with several other people who are awaiting to be placed in a regular room were you may be alone or have a room mate. When you get out there whether a room becomes available or not to you depends on your behavior during that time some are keep in evaluation for longer periods of time even weeks.

I got out evaluation in about 3 days, which from my experience is the norm.. In evaluation wasn't to bad except you usually get one person in there who doesn't respect your privacy and constantly bugs you the whole time so there is no real sleep the whole time and by the time you get out there any thing else is great. Sometimes I think they plant a person in there just to mess with you.

Once I was out evaluation I was put in my own room "there was no privacy you couldn't even take a shower with out a nurse trying to give you pills and you had to take them right then even though you were wet and naked". I was able to do whatever I wanted pretty much except leave of course I wasn't ready to leave yet, but I guess I keep saying I wanted to get out so well my family who became involved in my treatment knew I needed to be in there a bit longer so I was taken to a local court and was committed not of my own will for a time.. I got out about a week later and I have never been back in like 15 plus years..

The only other thing while in evaluation they allowed you a smoke break or two a day, or if you were lucky a therapist would take you for a kind of private walk an talk to try to help you to get better by finding out what you were having trouble with. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are in really bad shape to where you are complete out your mind or beyond control of your own self..