What little things do you do for fun ?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2013, 12:28 pm

Bit light hearted this one, What games or things do you do that keeps you amused but you don't necessarily share with anyone ?
1) In my house, people gouge the butter from the middle of the tub, my little bit of fun is taking it from the sides evenly and trying to keep it all level.
2) When paying with cash, I try and give away coppers, if I manage it, I win... if they give me coppers, they win !
(for the non UK folks, coppers are coins of 1 or 2 pence in value)
3) I try and guess if people will say thank you, or ignore me if I wait for them to come through a doorway or if a car is about to change lanes or turn off with out indicating.... I guess you could call it people watching.
4) I try and guess the time before looking, 9/10 I am within 5 minutes..

I suppose it's like little challenges that I have fun with but it all goes on in my head.. I am sure there's more...

So what do you do ?

Stu

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 1:00 pm

I often do things contrary to how other people do them - for example I sometimes put dates yyyymmdd to oppose the ddmmyy format.

Browncoat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2013, 1:07 pm

I like causing paradoxes and making people stretch their brains

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 1:19 pm

jk1 wrote:
I often do things contrary to how other people do them - for example I sometimes put dates yyyymmdd to oppose the ddmmyy format.

ooooo hardcore.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Feb 2013, 3:08 pm

I play weird visual/perceptual games in my mind that are very difficult to explain. I pay close attention to how things line up with certain "gaps" in space; that's the best I can do in terms of trying to describe it.

spagheddie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2013, 3:18 pm

Camo wrote:
4) I try and guess the time before looking, 9/10 I am within 5 minutes..
Stu

Yeah, I love sticking something in the microwave for a few minutes and I can walk back into the kitchen without seeing the timer, and 99% of the time the timer goes off within 3 seconds of walking back into the kitchen. Im also pretty good at knowing what time it is without cheating and looking at a clock. People know Im pretty good at this, so at random moments people will test me, and then we see how close I am... Im usually within 5 minutes.

Other things I like to do... I like making up license plate acronyms while driving... the license plates in my state are in 3 number 3 letter format (456 RNC). I like picking one on my way to work and seeing how many acronyms I can come up with throughout the day. Really Nasty Carmel, Ryans Noisy Camel, Republican National Convention, Roaming Nurses Calling, Respected Northern Chieftain... etc.

I tend to tap out beats all the time, banging on my steering wheel, tapping pens on my desk, tapping fingers on the wall behind my couch as I watch tv.

I also play this stupid game whenever I eat a bag of M&M's. Without looking in the bag, I pull 3 out at a time and play what I call M&M slot machine. If I pull three out and they are all the same color it means I win. Of course there is no reward... but its a stupid thing... I know.

sackcoat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2013, 3:30 pm

Quote:
I like making up license plate acronyms while driving...

I also do this. It is actually one of my favorite things to do. They always turn out weird -- your example for RNC came out as Raunchy Ninja Cows for me.

I also tend to drum a lot. A LOT. On tables, on the steering wheel, etc. If I don't have something to beat on I'll make the sounds with my mouth. I drive my wife CRAZY.

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2013, 3:34 pm

I do quite a few things like that! Thank the Gods I'm not the only one lol. The microwave timer, I do that almost ALL the time. I am horrible at time though, managing it, i have a hard time with the concept of time. Unless I could the seconds out or whatever I never know how much time has elapsed and so on.

M&M's....that's funny. I do that sometimes too. Or I pull out so many and try to eat them in color pairs, or threes! I hate when they don't have even pairs.

It's hard to find other examples, but I love those lil challenges! I hope more people post theirs and it might give me new fun ideas :) lol

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

finger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Feb 2013, 4:12 pm

At work I've started doing math in my head to past the time. I find it fun to find patterns I didn't know existed and it makes the time go by fast. The downside is I sometimes stand still with my eyes wide open and mouth hanging open. People think it's weird.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2013, 4:39 pm

When I'm on the city bus I read all the ads and imagine who the people in the photos might be (if they weren't only actors posing for a shot). I give them names.

This also helps me avoid eye contact with anyone. Accidental eye contact on the bus is horrible!

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Camo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2013, 6:19 am

scarp wrote:
I play weird visual/perceptual games in my mind that are very difficult to explain. I pay close attention to how things line up with certain "gaps" in space; that's the best I can do in terms of trying to describe it.

This sounds interesting.. I line things up, I try and intersect objects with other objects in the fore ground to cut them in half perfectly even they are random shapes I try and gauge where the line would go.. then I move on to the next item. It never ends and I can't stop doing it but I am not bothered by it.. I guess its a kind of spacial awareness ?
Yes its hard to explain but may not be anything like you do ?

Love the M&Ms thing, gonna have to do that now... !
Number plates, I try and make words from them...

Stu

GnothiSeauton
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Feb 2013, 2:31 pm

Browncoat wrote:
I like causing paradoxes and making people stretch their brains

Same here, except I call it mind f**king and find it more "arousing" than sex. The fact that there are no paradoxes in existence seems to escape most peoples' minds and they tend to concentrate on the problem instead of the solution. I do it in a "good-natured" fun manner though, as educating people should be (a bit of a payback for their "good-natured" teasing).

scarp
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Feb 2013, 2:36 pm

Camo wrote:
scarp wrote:

This sounds interesting.. I line things up, I try and intersect objects with other objects in the fore ground to cut them in half perfectly even they are random shapes I try and gauge where the line would go.. then I move on to the next item. It never ends and I can't stop doing it but I am not bothered by it.. I guess its a kind of spacial awareness ?
Yes its hard to explain but may not be anything like you do ?

Sounds pretty familiar. You may have described it better than I have, although it's still difficult to know if we're talking about the same thing due to the nature of the activity being so hard to put into words.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:37 pm

well a little guilty pleasure of mine is reading fanfiction, i keep it secret though, i dont think my friends would share my interest, mostly harry potter fanfiction. :D i love snape as a character.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 2:45 pm

I love fanfiction but keep it a secret too. I used to write back in 2003-2005. I wrote some fics based on musicals, and few based on the TV show Andromeda.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2013, 3:13 pm

Dots wrote:
I love fanfiction but keep it a secret too. I used to write back in 2003-2005. I wrote some fics based on musicals, and few based on the TV show Andromeda.

cool, i have tried to write fanfiction, it did not go so well unfortunatly, but i spend a lot of my time reading it. at the moment i am reading all the sherlock fanfics i can find. :D