Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2011, 12:44 pm

When i was 6 to 7 years old they said i had PDD NOS and when i turnd 14 they told me i had high funsoning autism So whats the diffrents i dont understand this. and they say its not a real diognoses because im to old now when really im only 17!

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 12:51 pm

PDD NOS is basically "you have almost every basic sympthom of autism, but not quite, enough to warrent treatment" when you were diagnosed with HFA they probably decided you met every sympthom after all, just mildly so.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 3:36 pm

XsamX wrote:
When i was 6 to 7 years old they said i had PDD NOS and when i turnd 14 they told me i had high funsoning autism So whats the diffrents i dont understand this. and they say its not a real diognoses because im to old now when really im only 17!

I'm not sure why would tell you that you were too old to get the diagnosis changed. A lot of people on this site get diagnosed as adults. It's a developmental disorder but it can be diagnosed in retrospect. Also you're just changing your diagnosis to another one within the same category PDD's.........you already have the PDD-NOS diagnosis............it doesn't make sense that they couldn't change it.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 5:45 pm

17 isn't too old. They switched me from PDDNOS to autism when I was 19. Of course the PDDNOS diagnosis had been just what they put on paper, while telling my parents I met the criteria for autism. (This was back in the nineties when to put autism down would have meant insurance wouldn't have funded treatment as autism meant "hopeless".) But that shouldn't even matter, lots of people can get their diagnoses changed much older than 17. I know someone who switched diagnoses from PDDNOS to AS in her twenties, and lots of people get diagnosed with any of the three (AS, autism, PDDNOS) up to their fifties and higher.