Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Telekon
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2011, 4:16 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Yes, I'm still an Aspie, not a "schizoid" or some such nonsense.

How long have you known this?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 5:04 pm

Zen wrote:
OJani wrote:
It hurts me deeply, when some people seem completely misunderstand me, and then I have to "swallow" a lot, if I want peace.

I just had a literal interpretation moment. I thought to myself, how does that work??
Sorry. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Well, offtopic. Forgive me, at least this time. Shortly: I do an act, that may be interpreted as "I'm doing stupid things, again" (e.g. when working, I mistake a simple, supposedly well known action seemingly hastily). Then I got a cold, unnecessary, unfriendly remark (or just a gesture) from somebody. If I would try to argue, one could feel only offended. Other people seem not to be bringing up these, even when doing mistakes, the reaction usually would be much more friendly, at least before them (in their back it could be other, though). Maybe its just me, bothering about somebody else's weakness. Mistakes are certainly mine, though. Hyper-sensitivity?

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 7:13 pm

Yes, very much so.

Not diagnosed so I can't speak to that. I have wondered if it would make it harder to be assessed accurately, though.

XFilesGeek wrote:
Aspie who "imploded" more than I "exploded." In fact, throughout my life, my complete lack of reaction to things that most people would have had some sort of reaction to was more noteworthy than any kind of "meltdown" behavior.

I've actually used that exact way of putting it ("imploding" rather than "exploding") before. I think helped keep me from ending up in front of school counselors or shrinks (and also my parents hatred of psychologists/psychiatrists) and being labeled a "problem kid."

Even now, it's very rare that I meltdown where (or such that) anyone sees it. In my teen years (when various things were getting bad) I remember laying in bed pounding my fists against my head in the dark, on many nights. There was a lot going on at the time but I no one ever knew.

I'm not sure how much of not seeking out other people to talk to about difficulties was intrinsic, though. Some of it, I think, was from receiving too much 'bad empathising.' (I.e. "you feel like like what? I don't get that. That's ridiculous.")

I don't recall any increased aggressiveness (toward others, anyway) during adolescence, though my thoughts were pretty aggressive at the time.

As far as having emotions, holy cr*p, a lack has rarely been a problem, though I suspect I come off as subdued, flat, or a bit "Spock-like" (and I don't like being identified with Spock).

Some of lists of "female autistic" traits often strike me as being at least partly about this kind of difference (passive vs. aggressive), rather than being strictly about being male or female.

Tiffinity
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Mar 2011, 11:02 pm

Yensid wrote:

Tiffinity wrote:
I always think that people accuse you of things that bother them about themselves.

I came across one person who claimed that I never admitted to being wrong. Actually, I freely admit when I am wrong. I do not make many mistakes, because I compulsively check and double check my work. This person was a very careless worker and he often made mistakes; he would never admit to his own mistakes.

I met another person who accused me of being filled with self hatred. Sorry, but while I do suffer from depression and suicidal feelings, my tendency towards self destruction have nothing to do with self hatred. My feelings are more that I am just so tired that I do not want to fight any more. I am pretty sure that the intense self-hatred that he saw did not come from me. I am glad that I do not have to live in his head.

Sorry, I didn't get what you said, were you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Tiffinity.

Yensid
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:11 pm

Tiffinity wrote:
Sorry, I didn't get what you said, were you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

I was agreeing with you. In both cases, I think that people just came up with something from their own head, and tried to apply it to me.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2011, 11:33 pm

Oh, and I don't know if it got in the way of my diagnosis or not. I really think most of what got in the way of my diagnosis is my age. If I were born in the past ten years, I would have been diagnosed with autism in infancy or very early childhood. But since I was born in 1980, I was diagnosed at 14. I don't think that these days my passivity would have made any difference in diagnosis, I had a lot of really obvious issues really early.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

03 Mar 2011, 12:36 am

rabbitears wrote:
To be honest I feel let down by the people who should have been looking out for me when I was a child, and I feel their ignorance has cost me a lot in life already. To me it just seems selfish that because I wasn't a 'naughty boy' I was ignored because it was the easy option all thoughout my school days and I was just thought of by adults as quiet, shy and imaginative, and to children: just a weirdo and a geek.
Yep, exactly.
All those wasted years when it could and should have been caught and better handled. My old school reports are full of the "quiet and studious" and "has difficulties in concentrating" stuff too. The indicators were already clear but no-one had the eyes to see them.
My parents, bless 'em, had no clue whatever and I was just "difficult" or "fussy" and all those frustrations and difficulties I had burned themselves inwards.
They never did know about my self-harm experiments with razor blades but maybe if I'd thrown a few tantrums instead, things would have been different.

I simply couldn't get visibly, externally aggressive - I didn't know how, even in situations where I probably should (self-preservation against bullies, etc.) and the adult version of lacking that basic drive/ability/whatever is still present: in controlled, slow-release doses it's known as 'standing your ground' or 'being assertive'.
The nearest I get to it is being angry about some situation or reaction from someone else but it quickly self-limits because I just choke up and grind to a halt.

Nope; still passive and still can't 'do' aggression in any form. :roll:

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

03 Mar 2011, 2:32 am

I have actually qualities of both passive and aggressive. Most of the time, I am passive. My sister thinks I am a saint for taking care of my mom when she is so ill. Inwardly, I am crushed, stressed, angry, and burnt out. but most of the time I keep it inside untill...I boil over, then I get aggressive but most on my violence is dirrected on myself. I have a rather gentle nature and am not easily shocked or suprised. But every side of me has an equal and opposite side...it is hard to explain

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 3:05 am

Yeah I am more sheldony. Very outspoken. but not so much interested in Science stuff. I hate being passive as I cant keep anything inside, I feel like i am about to explode. I am an extrovert though have tended towards obnoxiousness as some aspie extroverts are. I spend a lot of time trying not to come out as obnoxious or trying to say the right thing or acceptable thing, but it is so draining.

Taking a break.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2011, 4:15 am

I am mostly passive.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 4:17 am

I used to be mostly passive up to about the age of 10, then I realised that sometimes it pays to be outspoken. At least people are more likely to leave you alone. I stopped being bullied around that time too.
Encouraged by this, between the ages of 12 and 19 I experienced a very loud phase during which I was alternating between being your regular 'insufferable know-it-all' and trying to fit in by doing what NTs do at this age but without sense of limits. I made most of my greatest social blunders in that period.
Ever since, I've been toning down slowly so I expect that I'd be back at my childhood passivity level around the age of 40. At present, I am quiet and would rather withdraw than make a stand unless I have to emulate NT display or unless my own interests or the interests of someone close to me are seriously breached.
I am still an insufferable know-it-all though, truly Sheldony but I need to be induced into it.

Last edited by Severus on 03 Mar 2011, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 8:26 am

Actually when I was a kid, I was passive, but the older I've got as an adult the more aggressive I've become.
I was never a "problem" growing up either and never got into a fight. As an adult I am more outspoken. I am a lot more outspoken now at age 38 then I was at 28. I predict the trend will continue. As a kid I was passive because I was afraid of the world.
I don't know if this makes any sense.

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2011, 4:01 pm

I'm what you could consider aggressive, but I've worked quite hard on being "nicer", ie. not forcing my views and ideas on others, interrupting, gloating etc.

When I was a kid it was my way or no way. The other kids would often get scared and run to their mommy :twisted: When I hit my teens, I became more passive when it comes to relationships, but could still be arrogant and aggressive. As said, around the age of 20 I came to the conclusion that now is a good time to start working on myself.

I don't talk much with people I don't know well. The trying to be normal part makes interaction a real pain, but often it's worth it. I've come to realize that sometimes regular people may actually have something valuable to share. Sometimes I'm actually genuinely sorry for some things that I've said or done. Though I still don't shy away from confrontation. I try to keep in mind that my views are my views and others have a right to theirs. If I try, I can present things so that it's not the presentation part that offends people. This doesn't work nearly every time, but it's a whole lot better than before :wtg:

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

I've always been passive: if something's bothering me, I never outright say it, I always just let it boil inside of me.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 7:17 pm

I'm passive aggressive.

For the most part I am extremely calm and laidback. I have a very long fuse.

But if someone wears down my fuse and I have had the last straw, I explode.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 8:33 pm

dunbots wrote:
I've always been passive: if something's bothering me, I never outright say it, I always just let it boil inside of me.
This thread fits my personality (passive, that is) to the ground. I can't read all of it right now because I've had a very irritating week and cannot concentrate but I will be back