Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 6:38 am

I'm obsessed with death experiences.

Trying methods of what death feels like. Like holding my breath longer than I should in the pool and waiting till I start to get a floating feeling as if the water is trying to take me.

I wonder what you think when you die and a lot of my stories are about death and misery.

Not sure if this is a problem I should fix. Or simply accept.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 7:00 am

I am also obsessed with death in that I constantly worry about aging and dying as well as losing loved ones. That being said, I think it is unhealthy to practice methods of killing yourself, even without the intent to actually kill yourself. I do think that is something you should "try to fix", definitely! Accidents CAN happen, even for those who don't want to die!

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 7:09 am

I just wouldn't know how to go about trying to stop.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 7:58 am

The Buddha (apparently) used to do things like hold his breath as part of his practices during his ascetic years.

Meditation on death is a pretty big thing in many religious, magical, and spiritual traditions.

Someone I know dug her own grave and was buried alive overnight (she could breath) as part of a shamanic ordeal.

Facing death can often make us appreciate and understand life in a different way. It's quite easy to take living for granted without having a brush with mortality.

Death is the frame for life, put something good in it.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 5:48 pm

Moog wrote:
The Buddha (apparently) used to do things like hold his breath as part of his practices during his ascetic years.

Meditation on death is a pretty big thing in many religious, magical, and spiritual traditions.

Someone I know dug her own grave and was buried alive overnight (she could breath) as part of a shamanic ordeal.

Facing death can often make us appreciate and understand life in a different way. It's quite easy to take living for granted without having a brush with mortality.

Death is the frame for life, put something good in it.

That's very interesting.

quietbird
Raven
Raven

05 Apr 2011, 6:50 pm

I've had many death experiences using drugs. Ketamine, 5-MEO-DMT, and Dextromethorphin come to mind.

Notice I did not use the term near-death as I was nowhere near dying, but did actually die.

Probably changed me.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 7:41 pm

quietbird wrote:
I've had many death experiences using drugs. Ketamine, 5-MEO-DMT, and Dextromethorphin come to mind.

Notice I did not use the term near-death as I was nowhere near dying, but did actually die.

Probably changed me.

I like that threshold. Before you die. The threshold of life and death.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 8:10 pm

I was obsessed with death in high school. I'd take a bath towel and twist it around my neck as tight as I could, and than hold it for 20 seconds.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 8:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I was obsessed with death in high school. I'd take a bath towel and twist it around my neck as tight as I could, and than hold it for 20 seconds.

Well I'm in college and it seems to be my biggest fascination.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 8:40 pm

Perhaps in death you'll be obsessed with the living experience instead.

Frankly I'm terrified of dying unless I'm contemplating my demise by my own hands.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Apr 2011, 10:06 pm

This resembles a lot of the suicidal ideation I had. It was pretty firmly linked to my depression, and specific factors that exacerbated the depression. But a large part of my suicidal ideation was kind of an obsession on what death would feel like.

The only thing that stopped it for me is the depression going away.

So: Is it possible you have depression going on, or is this a kind of interest, or both?

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 10:16 pm

Verdandi wrote:
So: Is it possible you have depression going on, or is this a kind of interest, or both?

I wouldn't consider myself depressed...I have none of the symptoms. I do have DSPS [delayed sleep phase syndrome], not Insomnia like people assume.

I write dark horror novels. And have always being highly influenced by Romanticism and Dark Romanticism. So I think it comes from there at some point.

The most creative people ended up being people who did some very crazy crazy things. I think at some point I'm just slightly insane and fascinated by the very thresholds that make us human.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 Apr 2011, 10:36 pm

Glad to hear it's not depression!

You're a writer? Have you published?

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 11:02 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Glad to hear it's not depression!

You're a writer? Have you published?

I want to get published.

Though I doubt it since a lot of my real writing is influenced by romanticism and very archaic forms of literature.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

Have you looked at online options for publishing short stories?

Your kind of stuff sounds very much like something at least some people would enjoy reading.

By some people I include me.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2011, 11:42 pm

Verdandi wrote:
Have you looked at online options for publishing short stories?

Your kind of stuff sounds very much like something at least some people would enjoy reading.

By some people I include me.

I have and was considering a few places.

Even wanted to get myself self published on the Kindle from Amazon.