No (Asperger) 60%  60%  [ 112 ]
Yes (NT) 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
No (NT) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 186

Exhumed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2011, 11:05 pm

I was always a "Christian" because I wanted to believe it, and my parents always took me to church each week, but my dad is now dating a born-again Christian and forcing me to go to church each week (I enjoyed not going during college, then my parents pulled me out of college) and it forced me to reexamine my beliefs...

Christianity is no more viable than any other religion or cult. One might accept it at first, but really the only difference between Christianity and Scientology is how much time has passed since they were started and how many people follow the religion. If society agrees that God exists, and it would be scary if he didn't, then he must!

I'd like to believe there's an afterlife, that out-of-body experiences are real and the conscience survives after death, but I'm not sure. I wonder if it's possible for an Aspie to have an out-of-body experience...for all I know it could be more possible.

twinsmummy20
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2011, 11:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm a Christian and I believe in God.

Im glad! Praise God!

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm

With the poll worded the way it is... lots of weird things could result.

Agnostics would turn up as atheists.

Polytheists could turn up as atheists too if "God" is taken in certain ways (as meaning "the one god", etc.). 8O

And that's besides a whole lot of other more unusual-to-hear-about categories.

Exhumed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Apr 2011, 11:09 pm

anbuend wrote:

Polytheists could turn up as atheists too if "God" is taken in certain ways (as meaning "the one god", etc.). 8O

The poll IS flawed, and it doesn't address autistics like yourself either.

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:10 pm

anbuend wrote:

would this count as one of those

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
Abraham Lincoln

Pinkaspie5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2011, 11:13 pm

well Twinsmummy in the end its all about being happy! I think its great that your husband has found his way!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:15 pm

I feel more welcome now. :)

twinsmummy20
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I feel more welcome now. :)

I always knew I liked you :)

PM
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:20 pm

I'm an Atheist in the bible belt. I believe that a lot of us do not understand religion because a lot of the principles are illogical. But please leave the debate on that statement for PPR.

Judge me how you will on my lack of belief.

Pinkaspie5

09 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

haha.. the post I read was about ASPERGER'S and ATHEISM.. I'm sorry some people feel left out.. but yes, I was just asking about aspergers.. The question is plain and simple. Do you or do you not believe in god, and are you asperger or are you not.. Although all opinions are welcome :D

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:25 pm

I was thinking of more what happens in Wikipedia when you look at beliefs in God(s), and you end up with this list: Agnosticism, Apatheism, Atheism, Deism, Henotheism, Monolatrism, Monotheism, Panentheism, Pantheism, Transtheism. And don't ask me what they all mean because I don't know, but I do know that some of them inhabit various in-between zones.

As far as the question itself goes as to whether being on the spectrum relates to atheism, I think parts of the spectrum might make a person more likely to be, but other parts could well do the opposite.

I think the part of the spectrum that is most likely to create atheists is a particular sort of hyper-rational person that I see a lot of in the online autism community. OTOH I think my part of the spectrum might be more likely than usual to believe in some kind of spirituality, whether it involves (a) god(s) or not. There's one guy who keeps writing books on how autistic people are supposedly more spiritual (I have real problems with some of the things said in those books, but it shows a trend in some parts of the spectrum towards some form of religion or spirituality). And some parts would have no influence on the question whatsoever, and others would simply have more complex influence on it. So I don't think it's possible to generalize the entire spectrum. (Or to generalize from a poll here, since certain parts of the spectrum are over- and under-represented here. Generally if I do polls here it's only to find out what's common in this part of the autism community, not in autistic people as a whole.)

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:29 pm

I find it odd when Christians act as if they're a repressed minority. Christianity is only the largest religion in the world. :lol:

I'm an atheist myself. I simply can't make any sense of religion. Whether that has to do with the way my brain is wired (I'm on the spectrum), I don't know, but most of the people I used to hang out with were non-religious NTs.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:29 pm

Pinkaspie5 wrote:
haha.. the post I read was about ASPERGER'S and ATHEISM.. I'm sorry some people feel left out.. but yes, I was just asking about aspergers.. The question is plain and simple. Do you or do you not believe in god, and are you asperger or are you not.. Although all opinions are welcome :D

Oh, the reason that I commented on the agnostic/etc. thing was because I thought your poll would result in agnostics (and other non-atheist people, including some actual theists who don't "believe in God" the way most people think of God, or who believe in gods rather than God, etc.) showing up as atheist, so that could skew your results towards more atheists than otherwise. Not because I thought agnostics were left out.

Last edited by anbuend on 09 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

I'm atheist and live in Australia. In Australia I'm not strongly pressured to become a christian but I can imagine in America society expects you to be christian. Is this true? Btw I feel more welcome in this community now ^^

Pinkaspie5

09 Apr 2011, 11:30 pm

Same here Exhumed.. I was raised a catholic.. but as I grew older I couldn't find any sense in religion.. and god..

Louise8
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm

Quote:
As far as the question itself goes as to whether being on the spectrum relates to atheism, I think parts of the spectrum might make a person more likely to be, but other parts could well do the opposite.

thank you for saying that. That is very true.