Yes (NT) 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
No (NT) 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 186

Louise8
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2011, 11:31 pm

Quote:
As far as the question itself goes as to whether being on the spectrum relates to atheism, I think parts of the spectrum might make a person more likely to be, but other parts could well do the opposite.

thank you for saying that. That is very true.

Pinkaspie5
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Apr 2011, 11:35 pm

anbuend wrote:
Pinkaspie5 wrote:
haha.. the post I read was about ASPERGER'S and ATHEISM.. I'm sorry some people feel left out.. but yes, I was just asking about aspergers.. The question is plain and simple. Do you or do you not believe in god, and are you asperger or are you not.. Although all opinions are welcome :D

Oh, the reason that I commented on the agnostic/etc. thing was because I thought your poll would result in agnostics (and other non-atheist people, including some actual theists who don't "believe in God" the way most people think of God, or who believe in gods rather than God, etc.) showing up as atheist, so that could skew your results towards more atheists than otherwise. Not because I thought agnostics were left out.

Its OK!! I don't mind! I'm not using these statistics for any other purpose as to get a general idea on what WP population thinks :P I don't really care if people don't believe in god because they are agnostic or atheist or any other form of god. Disbelief.. And I edited the post to avoid more confusion.. :D

Pinkaspie5

09 Apr 2011, 11:40 pm

anbuend wrote:
I was thinking of more what happens in Wikipedia when you look at beliefs in God(s), and you end up with this list: Agnosticism, Apatheism, Atheism, Deism, Henotheism, Monolatrism, Monotheism, Panentheism, Pantheism, Transtheism. And don't ask me what they all mean because I don't know, but I do know that some of them inhabit various in-between zones.

As far as the question itself goes as to whether being on the spectrum relates to atheism, I think parts of the spectrum might make a person more likely to be, but other parts could well do the opposite.

I think the part of the spectrum that is most likely to create atheists is a particular sort of hyper-rational person that I see a lot of in the online autism community. OTOH I think my part of the spectrum might be more likely than usual to believe in some kind of spirituality, whether it involves (a) god(s) or not. There's one guy who keeps writing books on how autistic people are supposedly more spiritual (I have real problems with some of the things said in those books, but it shows a trend in some parts of the spectrum towards some form of religion or spirituality). And some parts would have no influence on the question whatsoever, and others would simply have more complex influence on it. So I don't think it's possible to generalize the entire spectrum. (Or to generalize from a poll here, since certain parts of the spectrum are over- and under-represented here. Generally if I do polls here it's only to find out what's common in this part of the autism community, not in autistic people as a whole.)

I agree with you... I think everyone has at least a tiny bit of spirituality. After all we all have to follow that inner path in order to discover our true essence, and that spirituality will result in the decisions we take on daily basis.. And spirituality does not imply a god..

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:10 am

Zen wrote:
I find it odd when Christians act as if they're a repressed minority. Christianity is only the largest religion in the world. :lol:

Same here. And they do it a lot.

I'm an atheist. I was a christian until I was 15, but since I read the Bible (actually, only half of the Old Testament), when I was 12-13, my faith began to falter: the book was far from infallible. Then I realized how men have been creating gods since the dawn of time and concluded the christian god had no logical reason to be considered any different from the other gods.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:34 am

I'm not entirely sure how to vote. I don't exactly believe in a 'god' since the word god implies a personified deity. I do believe in a higher power, but I cannot say whether this higher power is a personified being or not. I'm leaning towards not.

Oh, and I'm a suspected Aspie. I'm not officially diagnosed, but I am not NT. I have a plethora of other diagnoses.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:34 am

Both my parents are atheist, and never enforced any religious values on me. Up until I was 10 years old, God, Jesus, and hell had no meaning to me other than a curse word. Having never known about God when I was younger, I was left to make up my own religion, which failed. I was not capable of making things up to explain things, I just left them unexplained. When I finally did find out who this God was, I thought of it as nothing more than a fairy tale or some sort of childrens story. If people want to believe it that's fine by me, but I require proof before I commit to believing anything.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 1:54 am

I come from a long line of Atheists, My Grandfather became one after 'The Great War' may father tended towards Agfnostic. I did for a while in my first primary school become quite enthused with a Scripture Club run by one of the teachers who was very inspirational but when I changed school I soon found faith did not stop me from getting the s**t kicked out of me every playtime and soon lost my faith. That was over 40 years ago and I have never seen any evedece of the existance of a single all powerful god and frequently see the actions of those who do have such beliefs as quite terifying using there faith to exclude otheres from their society and inflict injustice and even war upon each other.

On my Cencus form I put Anoionian (Worshiper of the goddess Anoia the goddess of things that get stuck in drawers (Terry Pratchet, Diskworld)).

If it only requires faith for a god to exist there are hundreds of thousends of them or none at all.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 1:56 am

The way I use the term 'God' is very different to how it's usually used.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 4:22 am

Needs moar options.

For the record, I have AS and am agnostic.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 7:33 am

I consider myself to be agnostic.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 7:35 am

I grew up in a commie atheist family, but I'm proud that I decided upon being an atheist without any family member bringing it up, I only found out everyone else was an atheist when I said I was when I was about 12.

Dawkin's style atheist, I don't so much as disbelieve in God as much as I personally hate him. :D :D :D :D

Djn

10 Apr 2011, 8:17 am

I believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Mark 8:36

RonWren
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Apr 2011, 9:09 am

In all actuality, I'm a Zen Buddhist. Which is almost like atheism, as it is the practice of dropping all your beliefs, and accepting reality cold turkey. (such an odd saying cold turkey is. Did I use it right?)

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 9:51 am

Djn wrote:
I believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

That's also not in the poll options. :wink:

I'm an atheist, I was raised in a secular home, in a secular environment with the only religious aspects being traditional rather than spiritual.

Mark_M
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Apr 2011, 9:54 am

Nope, god is nothing but a stupid myth.

misswoofalot
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 11:06 am

I consider myself an non religious agnostic athiest - agnostic only because we are still unable to prove 100% that there isn't a God , although probability strongly suggests that there isn't - and In my heart of hearts I know I am not going to meet with my 'maker' when I die.

Nice idea though. As is Santa Claus.