Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

QuantumMechanic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2011, 8:26 pm

This seems to have become an improptu thin/thick skinned survey. I must cast my lot with just-lou. When it becomes obvious that someone is trying to push my buttons to get a rise out of me, the value of their words drops significantly. Of course I have been a submariner where one of the great passtimes is pushing people's buttons. I had sufficient stoicism that people made themselves angry trying to get me angry.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 9:37 am

yeah i guess i do have thick skin. its something i've developed over the years through constant bullying. i can't realy tell if its a wall ive put up to keep peoples comments out or to keep the feelings they cause/ed deep inside. sometimes i remember things that were said at different points in time and they still hurt like old scars. whilst things do not get to me so much nowadays there are still some things that bug me like when my sister remembers that i "have that thing" and calls me a ret*d or when she mimics the funny way i walk when demonstrating why people at high school picked on me or when my dad says i have no feelings, although that doesn't hurt it makes me feel numb. i don't even respect these people or their opinions, it makes no sense that what they say should get to me but they do. otherwise i can take a joke- i do know when it is in fun. i mock myself all the time.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 1:16 pm

My Nan is thin-skinned. My mum is thin-skinned. Both of her sisters and her brother is thin-skinned. My brother is thin-skinned. I'd say it runs in my family here, so I would have inherited this same personality trait, ASD or no ASD.

But personally speaking here, I get very sensitive a lot of the times. I don't like the thought of people laughing at me, and thinking I'm ''weird'', when all I'm doing is trying to be a good-hearted person who wants to get along with everybody. Funnily enough, NTs don't seem to value someone who likes to get on with everybody. I don't know why, I mean, I thought NTs liked people and liked being friendly with as many people as they can, but apparently not. They seem much more choosey than that. I suppose we all like someone who suits our personality, but I still try my hardest to get along with everybody. It makes life easier. It's no good sitting there sniggering about someone, or being ''afraid'' of someone who is gay, or who has a fear of dogs, or hates something what the majority likes, like sex or alcohol. But NTs are, and I get so sensitive about it. I admire people who are thick-skinned, who don't really let much bother them. But this isn't always an NT/Aspie trait - it can be in either's personality. Some Aspies can be thick-skinned, some NTs can be thin-skinned, and vice-versa.

Yowuza
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 May 2011, 1:41 pm

I used to be, but these days, I really couldn't care less what people think of me. I've changed a lot in the past few years.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2011, 7:13 pm

Extremely... I am so sensitive that, especially when I have to come in contact with people a lot, I end up having a lot of resultant emotions that overwhelm me to the point where I cannot do anything else. I also misinterpret things a lot, and some actions that were probably not meant to be negative in first place really do impact my emotional state. I have to then spend days thinking about formulating a way to ask the other person whether they have intended that action to be hard on me in first place.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

Anie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 May 2011, 9:37 pm

No more emotional than the rest of the world; just transparent.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/226/plea ... published/

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 7:52 am

Well, it's a common trait. I get more butthurt than the average person. Why do you think I like to b***h here? :P

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 8:39 am

Anie wrote:

i signed your petition, even though i'm illiterate :oops:

Hauge
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 May 2011, 1:58 pm

got the feeling i started with wery thin skin, but as i got older it thickned. And now it depends on who pushes the buttons...
If its a child, yought or "lesser functioning" im quite thick-skinned. - But is it a adult NT. - Autch...!

Anie

04 May 2011, 2:56 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Anie wrote:

i signed your petition, even though i'm illiterate :oops:

Well thanks, mate!
Don't worry, lots of pictures in there.:-)

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/226/plea ... published/

AngryAspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2016, 11:15 pm

Moderator deleted comment and banned troll

crazykool
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Jun 2017, 1:33 pm

I know this post is 6 years old, but I'm still going to give my story.

I noticed in myself, that when people say like "I don't care" or "whatever" I feel very ignored, which make's me anxious, when people tell me like "none of you're business", "don't worry about this person", or "don't tell me what to do" I a little bit upset, usually in this cases, I try not to make a big deal out of it, even know It will stay in my head a very long time, but why start trouble all the time just for some comment.

But when someone insults me, like calls me a slur or something, I tend get really upset, & I want go after that guy & beat him up, that's if he's not a woman or someone's who's under age, unless I want to go to jail.

Being thin-skinned really sucks, You can't get along with people like this, but you learn to live with it.

MrIpcac
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2017, 4:54 pm

I can take constructive criticism. Like, for my stories, for instance, I can take criticism. I know that the types of things I write aren't going to be for everyone anyway. And if they have constructive criticism, I am willing to at least consider what they're saying and maybe implement their suggestions in some way. It depends.

I don't like confrontations, though, and when people get hostile or confrontational with me and such, it tends to upset me a great deal. If I'm doing something stupid or rude or inconsiderate, then yeah, you can tell me and I'll try to work on it. But with hostility, again, I still might comply depending on the situation. If my boss is being hostile toward me, there's not much I can do about that. But I'm still going to resent the person either way and I'm going to get upset about it.

I'm kind of tired so I don't know how much sense this post makes.

PossiblyBisexualCanadian
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2017, 10:51 pm

Im extremely thin skinned as well and horrible with constructive criticism or really any suggestions at all. I dwell on even the slightest thing that upsets me for days, sometimes even weeks, and when I have finally learned to let it go, I find something else that upsets me... :oops:

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2017, 5:11 am

Two things
Thin or thick doesn't matter I think. Some people leave after they get no reaction from a thick skinned person, others keep going because they see it as a challenge. If someone who they're attacking is well mannered and calm as a person they will not react, but instead take the abuse until they're whittled down to "thin" skinnedness.

Secondly, I think a lot of us are actually "gifted" with the ability of not giving a damn. I am hurt by insults, yes, and greatly at that, seeing as I have OCD as well, but at the same time I seem to be apathetic about a lot of things. If Asperger's is indeed a very high functioning distant cousin of classical autism then we do indeed have some of the traits, just as a language from one end of it's family will share traits with another. We can "tune out", or not even understand the meaning of what someone says. I've had sociopaths throw everything they have at me only to run short of "attacks", having to retreat to formulate new ones, VERY rare for a Sociopath. I've also confused some...damn, I didn't know I could even do that to a NORMAL person.

Oh, and the reason I mention sociopath is because I seem to attract them. They notice my aloof confusion-like appearance but they don't actually know that's just the way I am and it's not caused from some sort of emotional upset or anything.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

18 Jun 2017, 7:38 am

I have 'thin skin' usually when my mood is low, I would tear up almost in frint of people cos I thought I was seconds away from bullying words. Usually doesn't progress to that but my negative mind usually creates this low self esteem induced sadness. My mood is better now but I still feel 'breakable' and 'fragile'.