Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

16bitsofawesome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2011, 11:15 am

If I listen to a new song once or twice, I can typically remember all of the instrumentals together, hearing each part somewhat-seperately. (Refering to popular music. Orchestral or larger bands obviously make this more difficult.) If it gets stuck in my head, I find when I am concentrated on something else (i.e. not thinking about the song, but its still playing in the background) I will hear not only all the vocals and harmonies, but the words as well can come in crystal clear. However, if I notice it, and try to sing a part that I like, I will not be able to remember the words, or sometimes even the melody. Its as though it vanishes right before me, and if I consciously think about it I can never remember. I will have to hear it again to remember the song completely. I do sing often, and skillfully, with moderate talent, and this problem disappears after I learn or practice a song. Is it that I am subconsciously noticing more things that I can actively recall at once? (Now that I've typed that it seems likely to be the case lol) Any others have anything simillar? Or ever have a meltdown due to the frustration that can ensue?

Apera
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 2:28 pm

I recently realized how much I'd underestimated my auditory processing skills. I've never excelled at playing music, but I can easily remember music with great detail. I have even mimicked a person's voice well enough to startle them. The more I hear something the better I know it - practice makes perfect, and you're no exception. It's probably true of most life on earth.

But they do not have me

16bitsofawesome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

hmm,.. I think there may be a misunderstanding. I'm asking if anyone else gets songs stuck in their head that they don't know well, and when they go to sing them they can't remember the words, even if when listening before, the words were there [in their head]?

16bitsofawesome
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Oct 2011, 4:42 pm

hmm,.. I think there may be a misunderstanding. I'm asking if anyone else gets songs stuck in their head that they don't know well, and when they go to sing them they can't remember the words, even if when listening before, the words were there [in their head]?