Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 7:48 am

The sound my playstation 2 makes when my roommates turn off the TV but not the gaming console is pretty bad, but I also hate that high-pitched sound that a camera flash makes when it's charging. Birthday parties are the worst.

Lahmacun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 May 2011, 7:50 am

My husband does not have Asperger's, but he can hear electronic frequencies more easily than I can. He has noticed that some parts of the country has higher levels of EF's than others do. We used to live in Nevada near the Test Site, where there were radar, drones, jets and listening devices X 1000. But where we now live in Florida, much of the electrical wiring is underground, and he is much happier.

I noticed that if I REALLY want a break from EF's, even though I can't hear them as well as my husband, all I have to do is flip the main circuit breaker at home. Even if nothing is turned on, and just a bunch of things are on standby, flipping the breaker will give you a feel of what it's like to reduce EF's greatly, and it's a FABULOUS feeling! (Of course, you may want to leave your fridge circuit turned on if you don't want your stuff to melt!)

Ticking clocks drive me NUTs, by the way.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:14 am

thewrll wrote:
Do you sometimes find that you have a hard time with certain things because of your ears. I am not talking about things like lawnmowers, or vaccum cleaners, or fireworks. I am talking about if your tv might be making weird noises that only you can hear. Or other electronics that only seem to bother you.

My tower, my backup external drive and my monitor make three different sounds at high pitches and it bothers me. I deal with it for obvious reasons. I also have to configure the volumes between the ipod and the car stereo a certain way so there's no static. Thankfully, my aspie son and my kindergarten son hear the same things I do, so nobody thinks I'm crazy for having to get rid of static no one else can hear.

And my landline phone is the worst. It's a crappy line to begin with and I can't believe we pay money for this, but even when it's good, it's bad.

There was one episode of Airbender (Avatar?) (that anime cartoon thing the kids like) my kids were watching and it sent the three of us through the ceiling because they had these high pitched tones. I guess it was meant to demonstrate that characters were being disoriented (?) I wasn't in the room... but in the next room, it killed me and my kids were in the same room. The two sensitive ones also put their hands over their ears. But we all ended up with headaches thanks to that.

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:18 am

Lahmacun wrote:
My husband does not have Asperger's, but he can hear electronic frequencies more easily than I can. He has noticed that some parts of the country has higher levels of EF's than others do. We used to live in Nevada near the Test Site, where there were radar, drones, jets and listening devices X 1000. But where we now live in Florida, much of the electrical wiring is underground, and he is much happier.

I noticed that if I REALLY want a break from EF's, even though I can't hear them as well as my husband, all I have to do is flip the main circuit breaker at home. Even if nothing is turned on, and just a bunch of things are on standby, flipping the breaker will give you a feel of what it's like to reduce EF's greatly, and it's a FABULOUS feeling! (Of course, you may want to leave your fridge circuit turned on if you don't want your stuff to melt!)

Ticking clocks drive me NUTs, by the way.

I have EMF sensitivity as well. We used to have a house that was next to one of those big electric poles. I was sick constantly. I think the place had bad wiring as well. The EMF detector was spiking consistently. When we moved, I felt better instantly! I wasn't a special snowflake. Every six months or so, someone moves in and then moves out. They can't keep anybody in that awful place. But I'm in Florida and I see a lot of above ground electric wires. Only in a few cities in Illinois did I ever see it run underground. I guess it depends which part of Florida. I'm in the Southwest region of Florida and everything's above ground.

VMSmith
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 8:30 am

its not so bad for me. i can hear the noises and they annoy me a lot but if im not in the same room as the machine during the day i dont really notice or i tune it out if i try. if its at night i cant because the only thing i can hear are the three radios, light fixtures, laptops, camera chargers, phones and phone chargers humming. its so irritating. right now im listening to the tv and digital box whining at me. no one else can hear it and i get told to shut up whenever i mention things like this because im imagining it apparently. :shrug: on an unreleted side note i just thought i'd randomly mention that it is still monday here and its tuesday on the other side of the world so im sending this post into tomorrow :)

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:17 am

I hear whining sounds that no one else hears too, but I've learned to tune it out mostly.

My grandfather left me his mantel clock. I find it beautiful, love the sound of the chimes, and appreciate the sentiment, but I can't tolerate the ticking.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:33 am

We arent imagining it. Its alot different then when we hear voices when noone is in the room.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 9:45 am

Does anyone play Minecraft? It makes these funny little itty-bitty noises, kind of like those hearing tests they give you in elementary school. I asked, and others don't hear it. It MIGHT be my computer. But it only happens when I have headphones on and am playing Minecraft. (And I don't have regular speakers so anything I do on the computer is with headphones.)

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 May 2011, 1:21 pm

OH YES!! !! !! In fact when I was little, and TV sets still had many small tubes inside, and took time to "warm up" before coming on, I could hear the horizontal frequency starting up long before the picture came on. In fact, I could even adjust the horizontal hold by listening to the squeal (15,750.0 Hz), and get a perfect picture without seeing it. My hearing is a little fallen off now at age 44, but I can still hear that frequency range slightly.

As far as bothering me, I can't stand power transformers whining, such as ballast transformers in fluorescent lights, or laptop power supplies which plug into the wall and whine at a high frequency due to the switchmode oscillator inside (a technology which makes it possible to have a device to change 115v ac to 12v dc without a big 10-lb iron-core transformer (as they required in the 1980s and before). So if I have one which is making noise, I have to either unplug it, or put it in another room and make a special extension cable to whatever the device requiring the noisy adaptor is being used. Luckily I'm a qualified electrician and licensed electronics technician, so I can do all that safely and correctly without hiring anybody.

Charles

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2011, 1:43 pm

I'm very sensitive to the high-pitched sound that most electronics give off. Especially if an electronic is charging, like a cellphone, or handheld gaming device. Or the sound that a tv gives off when it is on, but there is no volume. I hate those sounds, they feel very invasive to me.

Wigglyspider, I play Minecraft but not through headphones. It can make some sudden and strange sounds though.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 1:54 pm

Once upon a time, the telephone company needed people with our hearing sensitivities to detect problems with connection in the lines. :wink:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:15 pm

PokeyLaLa wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I can hear those high pitch sounds older TVs make when on mute or on a blank screen or turned down. With the sound on, it tunes out the sound. I can even tell if a TV is on without looking at it. I can even tell if there is a TV nearby without having to see it. But sometimes they would bother me and no one else could hear them but me. So I had to deal with the sound.

the sound tortures me. just go unplug it.

Do they still make sounds even if they are turned off? I hear nothing then.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:20 pm

dunbots wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I can hear those high pitch sounds older TVs make when on mute or on a blank screen or turned down. With the sound on, it tunes out the sound. I can even tell if a TV is on without looking at it. I can even tell if there is a TV nearby without having to see it. But sometimes they would bother me and no one else could hear them but me. So I had to deal with the sound.

You described it for me perfectly. 8)

Also, like alexi, I have heard phone chargers buzzing too, although I've never asked anyone else if they could hear it too, like I have for TVs.

I have had some chargers that made noise but luckily I can't hear all of them. I guess some are louder than others.

Lot of people can hear the high pitch sounds on TVs and lot of people can't. That's because it's at the edge of the normal hearing range someone once said on another forum. I have even met none ASDs who have said they could hear florescent lights. My husband can hear them too.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:26 pm

I'm so glad LCD's are mainstream now, the high pitched sound of the old CRT's annoy me to no end.

PokeyLaLa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2011, 2:33 pm

League_Girl wrote:
PokeyLaLa wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

the sound tortures me. just go unplug it.

Do they still make sounds even if they are turned off? I hear nothing then.

this is the usual sequence of events:
i come into my brothers bedroom to go to sleep but the tv is making a sound. the screen is black so i assume if i hit the power button the picture will turn on, but dont want that so i turn it off "the other way" and unplug it. however my brother gets angry when i unplug his game consoles, he says it will damage them; but he wont properly turn them off either. note: the tv and game consoles are all together on an extension cord.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 2:34 pm

wigglyspider wrote:
Does anyone play Minecraft? It makes these funny little itty-bitty noises, kind of like those hearing tests they give you in elementary school. I asked, and others don't hear it. It MIGHT be my computer. But it only happens when I have headphones on and am playing Minecraft. (And I don't have regular speakers so anything I do on the computer is with headphones.)

I played that game as a kid and could never win it. I didn't even know it had sound until we played it on a newer computer.

Funny enough I can hear better with head phones so I can hear these tones better like mosquito tones I can't hear with speakers.