Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 11:38 am

I get use to it some times but it depends on the pitch of the sound.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2011, 11:45 am

markitzero wrote:
kx250rider wrote:
markitzero wrote:
I know the componet in the TV that creates the high pitch noise it is the thing that puts a charge in the Screen. My Parents have a TV that they by mistake leave on with nothing doing input for Video and it bugs me because I can hear the componet

Flyback Transformer
http://www.electronicrepairguide.com/flyback1.jpg

Yes; the flyback emits the horizontal oscillator sound at 15.750 kHz. It's actually created earlier in the circuitry, but the flyback is amplifying it and vibrating it's iron core at that frequency, which is what we hear.

The other noises that electronics make when turned off; TVs included, comes from the "standby" supply. That's a tiny version of a flyback transformer, which is as I described in my earlier post, part of a switchmode power supply. If they start to whine, at a lower pitch than the famous TV flyback horizontal noise, that means that most probably a capacitor is starting to fail, and is causing the switchmode transformer to vibrate. In that case, it's going to blow out in the foreseeable future, as it can't sustain that extra pulse for long. A quiet buzz, however, is normal for most plug-in power supply adaptors and most electronic devices which run on (or get batteries charged by) household electricity. The acoustics of the room can help or hurt a lot! Try just moving the item to a different spot in the room, or even just turning it's direction slightly. But of course don't ever hide any electrical device in a blanket or pillow to hush it, or your next sound might be a fire siren 8O .

Charles

That is true but I can even hear them when they are new The only one that I can't hear which is nice is one in a Portable TV when I mean portable I am Talking about portable.
Panasonic Travelvision
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/panasonic_ ... p_1m1.html

That little '80s Panasonic TV has an ferrite core flyback, and wouldn't tend to resonate to make the noise. Also, the whole high voltage supply is inside a tin box, and is totally sealed. They do that because the whole TV is jampacked into that tiny case, and the power supply, if not fully shielded, would cause interference with the rest of the TV circuitry so close. I have a few of those 1.5" Panasonics in my TV "collection", including a color version.

The loudest flybacks were in the 1950s black & white TV sets, with large exposed high voltage power supplies (flyback barely shielded and not encased). I can still hear those, from outside the house. And I can also hear the vertical oscillator which sounds like a very soft snore.

Charles

Last edited by kx250rider on 25 May 2011, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 11:48 am

ohh color nice.

I got mine for free.

I eventually want to replace my big CRT TV with a LCD TV

Last edited by markitzero on 25 May 2011, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2011, 11:49 am

markitzero wrote:
ohh color nice.

I got mine for free.

I wish I still had that color one... Panasonic CT-101. I was short on funds several years ago, and sold it on eBay for $650. I'd have kept it, but I couldn't justify keeping it when I had bills due, and knowing what it was worth as a collectible.

Charles

Carotene
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2011, 11:50 am

My mom's older TV has this extremely high pitched whine that only I can hear. I have a newer TV that has a high pitched whine as well, but it's not as loud and I can get used to it.

My mom's TV, though, I can't even be in the same room with it on or I go crazy.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 2:03 pm

wigglyspider wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:
Does anyone play Minecraft? It makes these funny little itty-bitty noises, kind of like those hearing tests they give you in elementary school. I asked, and others don't hear it. It MIGHT be my computer. But it only happens when I have headphones on and am playing Minecraft. (And I don't have regular speakers so anything I do on the computer is with headphones.)

I played that game as a kid and could never win it. I didn't even know it had sound until we played it on a newer computer.

Funny enough I can hear better with head phones so I can hear these tones better like mosquito tones I can't hear with speakers.

I don't know if we're talking about the same game, I think the one I know is fairly new, and also it's not really a win or lose type of game. http://www.minecraft.net/

I can hear better with headphones too, I really prefer them to speakers.. I mean it's right on your ear, so of course it's easier to hear, right? :3

I was talking about a different game. You had to click these boxes and some of them have numbers in them and open a bunch of boxes but lot of them also had mines underneath and with you clicked one of them, they all go off and you had to start over.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 2:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:
Does anyone play Minecraft? It makes these funny little itty-bitty noises, kind of like those hearing tests they give you in elementary school. I asked, and others don't hear it. It MIGHT be my computer. But it only happens when I have headphones on and am playing Minecraft. (And I don't have regular speakers so anything I do on the computer is with headphones.)

I played that game as a kid and could never win it. I didn't even know it had sound until we played it on a newer computer.

Funny enough I can hear better with head phones so I can hear these tones better like mosquito tones I can't hear with speakers.

I don't know if we're talking about the same game, I think the one I know is fairly new, and also it's not really a win or lose type of game. http://www.minecraft.net/

I can hear better with headphones too, I really prefer them to speakers.. I mean it's right on your ear, so of course it's easier to hear, right? :3

I was talking about a different game. You had to click these boxes and some of them have numbers in them and open a bunch of boxes but lot of them also had mines underneath and with you clicked one of them, they all go off and you had to start over.

You mean minesweeper? Totally different game.

kc8ufv
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:06 pm

SammichEater wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:

Yes, very different (and totally adicting). There are many versions out there, older ones didn't have sound effects. I remember there was a version called cheatmine, it would randomly lie to you about the number of ajacent mines in a few squares. Sometimes it would give a 7 or 8 on easy.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 3:20 am

I guess we have to work alot harder than nts when we do every day things. Such as watching tv or using the computer or even making food. Our ears are a constant issue.

Nier
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2011, 9:18 am

Noise & HF sensitivity are my most common problems, I wish I could desensitise my ears.
I need quiet more than most people I know & trying to explain why some noise is causing real distress is difficult when truly for them it just isn't an issue.
It helps to have control over your environment, and i've learned to live with earplugs & background music as a way of masking off other sounds. But i'd rather just turn the annoying sounds off. Oh well, serves us right for having superpowers eh ? :wink:

Xinro
Raven
Raven

28 May 2011, 6:57 pm

If a TV is on mute near me, I have the urge to Hulk Smash it and will try just about anything to turn it off if I can. I can't stand that electronic sound - it puts my nerve on edge. People with mosquito ringtones drive me nuts too. Right now I have a touch of tinnitus (that buzzing sound in your ear that won't go away), so it's even more annoying because I have to constantly put up with that high-pitched drone.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 10:42 pm

Xinro I described what causes it earlier in the post if you are wondering.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2011, 11:03 pm

kc8ufv wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
wigglyspider wrote:

Yes, very different (and totally adicting). There are many versions out there, older ones didn't have sound effects. I remember there was a version called cheatmine, it would randomly lie to you about the number of ajacent mines in a few squares. Sometimes it would give a 7 or 8 on easy.

Sorry, I got the titles mixed up.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 6:27 am

It seems to me if you want a pretty silent tv. Go with a high def or plasma. I dont really know about plasma but my dads high def is pretty silent to me.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2011, 9:14 am

LCD and Plasma TVs have no flyback transformer. At most the LCD in some models have a Florescent and others are LED backlit which are better with contrast ratio. For Plasma TVs have no back lights but the trouble with plasma tvs the picture begin to fade after awhile or they will leak.

BasilSquire
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 May 2011, 2:33 pm

TVs/Computer monitors (CRT and LCD) make a high pitched whining noise that I hear over my tinnitus. Other than that I notice all kinds fo small noises that NTs seem to have tuned out like passing vehicles, animals etc.